1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do you wish you came out earlier?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Britishskittles, Sep 29, 2013.

1. leer

Ideally I wanted to come out at 18 but It didn't work out like that I was 16&half .

2. hewkie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    100% yes (!)

3. Beware Of You

Without a doubt yes, I should have come out sooner but I was afraid when I was a teen. I know my parents would have helped me sooner and I wouldn't have had to go through the crap I did

4. I wish I had come out sooner. Most people already suspected anyway.

5. penguin machine

I absolutely do. So many people here had such wildly different experiences to what I saw. I can't imagine being 14 and just telling a friend "I'm pansexual." I had bullies telling me I was gay even before I'd discovered anything about my own sexuality. They were unpleasant enough to put me in the closet for most of my life. I came out at 23, but if I had been in a better environment at 12, I might have come out then.

6. sparkpenguin

sparkpenguin Guest

I don't know, I only came out a month ago and I think this was a good time to come out. I'm out of school now.

I didn't really want to come out during school, it would have probably caused more bullying. But I'm glad I came out to friends and family this time in my life. :slight_smile:

7. Niko

I certainly wish I wasn't afraid to express my feelings at an earlier age. If only I told my mom and dad I wanted to be a boy when I first felt dysphoria at age 5. But nope, not only was I scared, I thought it was just a phase and I'd get over the fact that I'd never be a boy. So naive. :rolle: With that being said, I'm glad I came out when I did last year...my parents haven't been on my case about dressing like a guy since. So better late than never. :slight_smile:

8. lukeluvznicki13

I think it is best not to be fully out at high school level.
    I'm currently in high school and only 3 of my friends know.
    highschool is probably the stage in your life where you would be judged/bullied the most no matter your sexuality, appearance, personality etc. Coming out fully at this stage is quite difficult and 9/10 times you will find yourself being picked on by people who are ignorant or are just stupid bullies.

9. LILuke

I wish that everyone had little nametags so I wouldn't have to wonder. xD

Oh hey, you're cute...likes girls, aww that's a bummer. Oh well, moving on.

Things would be so much easier that way.

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a regular in the "Later in Life" section, well, of course.

On the other hand (it's never easy with me!), I have to admit that having kids was not a mistake and being married seemed like the right thing to do at the time.

So all I can say is, what happened, happened. No time for regret.

11. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I actually wish I came out later. I came out to a few people when I was fourteen. I wasn't really sure of myself. I originally came out as a lesbian first, but no one believed me. I re-came out as bisexual.
    It's just so confusing. I'm trying to wait until I'm sure of myself until I come out to more people. It's hard, but I don't want people to know how confused I am. Right now I'm focusing more on my music than finding a relationship. That's making it easier to stay in the closet. I really wish I could just know who the fck I am.

12. Becki

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out at 13/14 years old and I actually wish I had left it a tiny bit, because although I knew I wasn't straight, I didn't know exactly what I was. I told everyone I was a lesbian but I kept thinking that maybe I was bi and I was scared that I was basically lying to everyone. No way would I have come out any earlier because the first middle school I went to, everybody used 'lezzy' as the worst possible insult you could call someone :lol: silly children

13. Rexmond

I think I came out relatively early, and that it has worked out in my favour so far.

14. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I do and I don't in a way. I waited until I was 21 before I came out to my parents and close friends. It was when I felt ready and comfortable enough with myself to take the plunge and just do it. I didn't want to rush coming out as I thought, if I rushed it without thinking it through properly, it could turn into something that I would have possibly regretted.

I think for me, the major thing that pushed me to come out when I did, was the fact that I felt like I was wasting time and missing out on so much stuff. That in the end I just decided to bite the bullet and just go for it. That would have been the only thing I regretted about coming out at 21. But the pro's outweigh the cons by a long stretch; I came out when I felt totally ready and comfortable and to be fair, it was probably the best thing i've done to date. And now, for the first time in a long time I am truly happy. So everything is sweet.

15. Miss Loopy

I didn't get to pick when I came out! I pretty much fell in love with a girl when I was 15 and it ended when I was 17, I was pretty messed up about it so told my parents and then she told everyone else!

But it worked favours for me... a lot of girls seem to want to test the water ;D

16. Siarad

Me too!

(That's what finally prompted me into taking steps towards coming out. I'm a political activist and it made me feel quite hypocritical that I wasn't out when I have spent a lifetime fighting for people to have equality. It also made me angry that I couldn't just date women without 'coming out'. As someone who would like to have a family one day, I'm now taking the view that if I'm not lucky enough to be born in an era where there's possible, I will be brave enough to come out, fight for true equality (in attitude and education as well in 'rights') and be in a position where I'm able to raise children who could date men, or women or both without anyone raising an eyelid or defining them by it.)

17. blueberrymuffin

It almost certainly wouldn't have helped socially, but for revenge purposes I wish i would have admitted to it and thrown it back in the homophobes' faces. Then again, that could have been deadly, so i don't know.

18. Pocky

Can I ask what has changed since you came out?

I've been out since I told my parents when I was 20 and it hasn't really made a lick of difference to my happiness. Still lonely etc.

19. Ticklish Fish

I wish I had made an account on EC earlier LOL.

20. FightingShadows

Sometimes I wish I had come out in high school. Being who I really am back then, yes, i'm sure would have given kids even MORE of a reason to pick on me, but I think I could have handled it. I played off as being the "tomboy" and still wasn't very happy because even though I wanted guys clothes and short hair, I dressed neutrally and had shoulder length hair and back then I did it only to protect myself from bullies. Sometimes I wished I had come out then despite everyone being major assholes. But some part of me thinks it may have been better to wait.