1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe in god, even after what religion says about us?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by catgoturtongue, Aug 31, 2013.

1. megaloveme

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    God and I have a very complicated relationship right now.

2. Bring it

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thankfully I attend a methodist church that supports lgbts, so i don't really have any reason to turn away from religion.

3. femmeinpink

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I was born and raised Lutheran and I still believe in God on a more personal basis. I just don't feel as comfortable anymore in the church I grew up in, because it's turning pretty conservative and intolerant. I wouldn't be opposed to finding a church that supports LGBT people, like the campus church I attended a few times in college, but I feel like organized religion can be oppressive in some instances.

4. JustKat

I'm agnostic, somewhat of a diest (he/she/it created then left). I think that there is a God but not enough evidence to cement my belief 100% and there isn't enough proof to me that no such thing exists or didn't exist. I focus on trying to be a decent human being. My biggest issue with most religions is mankind has corrupted words of supreme being. My other issue with other faiths, there is no true consistency in faith, lack of holy books/scriptures. I think if a supreme being exists it/she/he is shaking their head at some of our behaviors.

5. Vandslaux

Atheist before I found out I was gay so no

6. BadWolf5

I guess I'm still kind of a Christian after everything.
    I think the whole anti-gay thing is mostly how
    interpreted the bible. If there really is a god up
    there and he really is so great and stuff he would
    have to be kind of accepting. If hes the one who
    supposedly created us then he has to be ok with
    the flaws he gave us.

---------- Post added 15th Feb 2014 at 06:32 PM ----------

If there really is a god than
    now is the time for him
    to show up

7. laurenc

laurenc Guest

yes.I am still a christian even though allot of others are very hateful

8. Amazo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I'm Orthodox... but tbh I do not believe in the bible because I would be telling a lie... but I do believe God because he made everyone for a purpose or a reason... I also believe that the bible was written to keep humanity at peace if you catch my drift... back in the ancient times there was no rule so.. popes or some written them and also been interpreted many times not to mention the translation... between the words. God gave you free will... to do what ever you wish... otherwise we would of been robots. But what ever we do will remain to be balanced when we need to enter Heaven. Please don't hate him just cuz what others say... he still loves you just the way you are.

9. burg

10. RandomMatt

I'm agnostic. In other words, I couldn't bring myself to give a shit one way or another. Once I experience a big enough loss in my life and or am on my deathbed, probably then I'll start to indulge more in the area of religion.

Pretty blunt, but....yeah lol

11. Ravi-VIXX777

Yes, but I'm not big on religion per se, but more on spirituality.

12. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been an atheist since I was 8.

I don't think me being asexual would've been an issue even if I was religious - in fact some people would say asexuality is preferable to being heterosexual. But thinking about an all-knowing, all-powerful being who supposedly loves me but still let me get sexually abused... that really got to me.

Plus, I've always been a fairly logical, scientifically-minded person, and what my church was telling me just didn't add up. They made it sound like Heaven was up in the sky, and I knew what was up in the sky - atmosphere, then outer space. If Heaven was a place, I couldn't figure out where it would be.

13. duende84

Battling with self-acceptance being gay, has brought me closer to God.

14. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Bible Does NOT Condemn Homosexuality

I always think that a real Christian does not have anything against anyone... I hate the Old Testament and how it professes the wrathful angry god who seems to just want to make misery for his followers.

No, the preachings and teachings of Christ are about compassion and love for your fellow man.

Blessed are those who have been
    persecuted for righteousness' sake,
    for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.

Matthew 5:10

At the very least gays are doing something right according to Christ's sermon on the mount.

15. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm agnostic, ex-Christian. I feel there is no way to know for sure whether or not there is a God. And if there is a God, he could very well be nothing like any of the gods we see in common religions.

I have grown up in an extremely conservative Christian family and have probably read the entire Bible. I'm not going to try to convince myself that Christianity is pro-gay people because....it isn't. The Bible is very clear on the issue.

If the God of Christianity is real (which I don't think he is), I probably could still not be a Christian. Not because I would want to go to hell but because Christianity is supposed to be based on your love of God. But how could I force myself to love a God that created billions of humans, knowing that the majority of would be tortured and burn for eternity in hell? When you read the Bible you realize that God is very egotistical and everything he does is just to further glorify himself. Even if that includes sending plagues, slaying babies, and creating a place like hell.

To me, I feel many Christians almost have a Stockholm Syndrome like "love" for God. God is essentially saying "I am giving you a choice, love me or burn forever!" So rather than burning forever they excuse God's horrific actions and convince themselves that everything he does is loving.

#215 Ghost93, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  16. FrozenFae

Nope. I spent enough of my childhood being subjected to the psychotic bullshit religion enforces. Around the time I was 14 (or as I refer to it, The Age of Reason) I became an atheist and haven't looked back since.

With the sole exception of neo-pagan religions, I take a VERY dim view towards religion.

17. Vanovic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    To me God is love and love is good. I believe in something like an eternal soul. I can not imagine that someone stops existing. I believe in some sort of transcendence and it has nothing to do with rules and bibles. The only rule is respect and love. It's been proven that believing is something positive, probably the reason why there are living so many negative people in my country.

18. Nicholas1991

I just cant. Not with all the horrible, bad things that happen every single day in this world, i just dont understand how there can be a god to be honest. It just seems like everyone for themselves.

I dont judge people for believing in god (unless they judge me first), everyones entitled to their beliefs but yeah. Even if i wasnt gay i dont think i would.

19. Lilli

Lilli Guest

Absolutely. I believe in Jesus. I believe He is who He says He is. I went through a rigorous period of questioning (with an attorney friend of mine who is an Atheist, so I and my beliefs were pretty much raked over the coals lol!!) and came out the other side a Christian.

I wasn't raised in even a remotely religious home. I also believe that many of the ways that the bible has been interpreted by man are influenced by culture.

I no longer debate the question with people. I believe its something that people have to accept or reject on their own. No one needs me to help them figure it out. :slight_smile:

20. Pixelbro

I believe (and the church I'm forced to go to will even say this) that if you edit the bible in anyway or throw it out completely for your own personal beliefs, you are making up a religion.

It drives me insane how many people don't know what christian even means anymore. You can't say, 'I don't believe the bible's actually god's word but I still believe in god." That makes absolutely no sense at all. How do you know about god without the bible? And if you accept some of the bible, how do you decided if parts of it are right or wrong? You can't. You, in a sense, make your own bible that corresponds to the freedoms of your life. Whether it be you can be gay and christian, or you can kill people and still be called a believer in christ.

This world is full of billions of people who are just making up their own story to believe in so that they'll feel comfortable, just like how people used to make up stories for greek gods to explain where things came from. I wouldn't be surprised if the books of the bible were all just made up stories that were built upon one another. It justs seems ridiculous that you would be part of a religion created from a book when you don't even believe in everything it says.