1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you and your parents share political ideology?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BryanM, Jan 26, 2014.

?

Do your political ideologies match those of your parents?

1. Yes

27 vote(s)
    33.8%
  2. No

38 vote(s)
    47.5%
  3. Unknown/Other

15 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a question I wonder sometimes. I think some people are influenced by their parents, and others don't want to be like their parents so they have an opposite ideology. When talking about my parents I'm going to be America-centric, because I live in america, but you can even talk about your experience if you live somewhere else.

I consider myself a Young Stonewall Democrat, and my ideology tends to be very liberal and progressive. I also like many aspects of the Green Party.

My mother has affiliated with both parties in the past. She voted for Clinton in '96, Bush in '00 and '04, but voted for Obama in '08 and '12. She tends to lean pretty liberal nowadays.

My dad used to be a democrat for a long time, but then was independent for the last decade or so, but now has switched back to being a democrat, voting for Obama in 2012. He's very liberal, but has some conservative views as well.

Extended family

My maternal grandparents were both republicans, but have now said that they may leave the party because of "all the nutjobs within the party." They're conservative, but are in full support of gay rights.

My paternal grandfather was a progressive democrat, up until he died in 1979. My grandma has been a lifelong democrat, and is pretty liberal as well.

My first cousins (mom side) both support the Democrats more often than Republicans, along with their father (my uncle), but my aunt is a republican/libertarian. My other first cousin (dad side) is a democratic leaning independent, along with my other aunt, and my other uncle.

I just wondered what people were like in this regard. :slight_smile:

#1 BryanM, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  2. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    My mom is STRONGLY democratic and in our household calling someone a republican is the worst swear ever.

3. Thedistra

My dad doesn't vote or anything but he tends to express more liberal views with a dash of conservative. My mother's views seem to change with the wind, but she usually votes democratic.

My mother's side of the family is pretty much entirely conservative.

My dad's side is more Liberal.

I match my dad's views for the most part.

#3 Thedistra, Jan 26, 2014
  4. AlamoCity

Not sure. My mom is more Democrat and my dad is more Republican.

I consider myself Independent/Libertarian and never vote "straight-ticket." I am socially liberal and fiscally conservative and voting for me involves picking who I believe is the lesser evil.

As a result, I would say I am similar to my parents as an average of their political beliefs. However, I'm not certain they would vote to legalize same-sex marriage at this point in time.

#4 AlamoCity, Jan 26, 2014
  5. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Both of my parents (and much of my family, for that matter) could not care less about politics, which is quite depressing as a Political Science major. But I'd say both of my parents are moderates, and my grandmother is conservative.

I'm a Republican, but quite moderate by Republican standards on a few topics.

#5 Mike92, Jan 26, 2014
  6. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    Also my parents are way stricter about me about politics, they threatened to disown me if i turn out republican.

7. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

My parents are moderate Democrats in theory, but my stepdad supports most Republican positions. For some reason he thinks the Democrats are supporting those positions and the Republicans oppose them, so he votes Democrat. I don't understand it one bit. I'm a Green, so I'm pretty far to the left of my Mom, but I'm moderate by my party's standards. My grandmother is a moderate Democrat and my Uncle a flaming Democrat who viciously hates Republicans, blames them for everything, and calls Greens Republicans because they don't vote Democrat.

---------- Post added 26th Jan 2014 at 11:03 PM ----------

Now that's parenting :thumbsup:

8. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes but i think my mom would be republican but there is only a few things they disagree on

9. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My dad is a conservative "Democrat" (not sure if he switched to the GOP), and my mom is a moderate who registered Republican because my dad was a Democrat. I'm a left-leaning Independent, so I usually agree with my mom. My dad has gone off the deep end listening to conservative talk radio and watching Fox News.

10. Hexagon

No, not really. Let me see...

My paternal grandmother is a conservative, though in recent years she's become more liberal in her views, but incapable of actually changing her voting habit, probably due to age and rigidity. My grandfather, who is now dead, was conservatives. I don't know about my maternal grandparents, but if I had to guess, they'd be pseudo-liberal-upper-middle-class-but-only-when-it's-convenient-and-they-really-like-their-money kinda thing.

My parents are those half-hearted liberals who generally agree with me on most principles, but think that any change is far too drastic, and they really don't have any intention of helping people. They also don't really have any economic views other than 'bankers bad' and 'THATS NOT FAIR!!!!!!!!!'.

I'm very far left. I don't answer to the term liberal. I'm an anarcho-communist. My parents do not like this.

11. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mother isn't very political, but she's probably relatively close to me in political leanings - albeit with more centrist reasonings.

My father is a mixed bag. One day he'll posit a progressive, socially liberal position - and then the next a racist line of garbage that makes me want to take a bat to the walls.

12. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    By and large yes. There are some issues where I'm farther to the right than my parents (mostly related to crime and immigration) and others where I'm farther left (LGBT rights and legalization of marijuana) but we're all pretty much in agreement in general and all vote pretty solidly Democratic.

13. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a product of 2 Dems, so I'm a Dem. Sadly, I'm the only child in the family who is a Dem.

14. Jwis

My mom is very liberal and a big supporter of gay rights and other progressive issues. My dad does not really care about politics and just goes along with what my mom does.

My moms extended family is, for the most part Tea Party Republicans - Makes for great conversation. I am not out to any of them.

15. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My dad is somewhat liberal, tends to vote democratic and supports things like gay marriage. My mom is a conservative Republican, but not really based on any actual principles, but just because she's sucked into Fox News world.

16. Skyline

I picked other because my mom is liberal and democratic--I get along with her great. But my dad and step mom are conservative... and I happen to live with them, which can suck a little bit at times.

However, all of my parents are supportive of LGBT rights.

17. Mzansi

Socially Liberal,
    Economically Conservative,
    In an American context we'd both be Democrats.

18. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mother is quite apolitical, though she was Bill Clinton's biggest fan back in the 90's. When then-President Bush came to my hometown on a campaign stop in 1992, my parents came to the rally to see the President and my mom was wearing a huge "CLINTON/GORE '92" button. My mom usually won't tell you who she voted for, but she was very vocal in her opposition to George W. Bush's re-election in 2004.

My dad is a Ron Paul nutjob, though he's been known to support Democrats in the past, and has been anti-Republican in the past few elections. For the first time since high school, when he volunteered for Nixon's re-election campaign in 1972, my dad actually got out and knocked on doors for John Kerry in 2004, and he sported a Debbie Stabenow (Democratic US Senator from Michigan) bumper sticker on his car in 2012. Yet he says he voted for Reagan in 1984.

As for me, I'm a pro-union, pro-choice, pro-gay rights Democrat. I'm the only real Democrat in a family of Republicans. My grandfather was a hugely partisan Republican, and he ran for Michigan State Senate in 1974 and lost by six votes. His cousin was a Congressman from New York for 26 years, and because he was anti-choice, he's not a real Democrat. He was one of a handful of Democrats in the House who abstained when DOMA was voted on in 1996. Maybe he was looking out for his then-1-year-old first cousin twice removed who grew up to be gay.

I do have a few conservative views, mainly on foreign policy. I think that when there are nuclear weapons involved, as well as a dictator who's mentally unstable, it might be okay to go in and overthrow their government. Now I'm not talking about the "giving freedom to the Iraqis" stuff that Dubya did, but more like the situation with North Korea. If North Korea gets a bomb, watch out. Sorry Dennis Rodman, but you're just as big an idiot if you love Kim Jong Un so much. I also refuse to buy into the hysteria over the NSA. I think that at least some of the intelligence gained through the program the Bush administration started, and enthusiastically supported by Sean Hannity until Barack Obama became President, has actually saved lives either here or abroad.

Now the difference between me and most extremists on both sides is that I actually do my own research. I watch Ed Schultz for entertainment, not information. Sean Hannity is pretty funny as well, especially how he's now planning to leave New York and move to Florida or Texas after Governor Andrew Cuomo said that Tea Party extremists have no place in New York. I'm a realist on most things.

But on the subject of Fox News, just read the editorial section of the local paper in the area I grew up in. This rings more and more true every day.

[​IMG]

#18 AwesomGaytheist, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  19. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ^NBC is the liberal answer to FOX. (Dammit, why isn't FOX about foxes?!) To be honest, CNN is probably just as biased. Biased against what, I have no idea. I just know it's bad reporting.

No. My parents are Democratic liberals (the immigrants to America would be my grandparents).
    I don't agree with the ideology at all, but, on the plus side, the liberals in my family should be able to convince everyone that trans = ok. (But if I become rich and successful, nobody would even care! Maybe it's a good thing that the world is horribly superficial!)

I once was a far left feminist (nowadays I'm an egalitarian), and now I'm what you'd call a conservative libertarian (or is it "libertarian conservative"?). I'm closer to the right than to the left, but I'm still pretty middle-ground when it comes to things like the war on drugs.

This is basically my policy when it comes to traditions: they're usually there because they work. But if they're infringing on people's right to do things without government butting in, then they should be phased out.

#19 An Gentleman, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  20. tscott

My parents were "country club" Rebublicans, fairly liberal socially. My mother's family were Republicans. My Grandfather loathed, detested FDR. My father's family were Democrats, like most immigrant families. They worshiped the great gods of the House of Kennedy. My personal dislike for the Kennedys is only eclipsed by my dislike of the Clinton's, smarmy would be the word I'd use. I am very much an economic conservative and centerist on social issues, very much like my parents. I guess I'll have to join the Log Cabin branch of the GOP. To be very up front though, both parties today are the parties of wingnuts, assholes, and jackwagons. None are to be trusted. All politician's are the result of personality flaws and a twisted need for public approval, much like actors and car salesmen. We are fools in this country to think that our pols are anything other than corrupt; and we are bigger fools when we are shocked by their whore mongering, avarice, or over-weaning ambition...but what eles have we got?:bang: