1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could a kid's show with LGBT characters survive the backlash

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Driftr, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    If it can't, we'll send in the rainbow unicorns to give CPR! Ptroo!

2. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure because I think it widely depends on where it's aired and how the network treats it. I don't know that much, but I do know that Steven Universe has LGBT characters and it seems to be faring very well so far which is excellent.

3. Bobsleigh1

Bobsleigh1 Guest

Yeah, a lot of people (including me) have mentioned Steven Universe on this thread, and it is doing well. (─‿─)

Sadly, however, i think there has been maybe a couple instances of SU being censored; most notably, a dance scene between two characters considered female had some shots cut out in the UK airing for being 'too sexual for kids' (even though, immediately after the dance scene was a hetero kiss scene which wasn't censored... So unfair...).
    And supposedly the animators for Gravity Falls tired to put an elderly lesbian couple in the background of one scene or something but they were told to remove it, so they made it straight....

But i guess the fact that these things were even planned to be in these kids shows is a good sign in itself.
    ┐(´∀`)┌

#23 Bobsleigh1, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2016
  4. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  5. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate that the child actress that played Charlie received death threats. She wasn't even the one who came up with the idea.

6. plant

I'm sure this has happened before on multiple ocassions but it's vile and disgusting, and I feel bad for those people's kids, if I'm honest

7. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    If kids can understand someone loving another what does it matter what gender they are? Legend of Korra has a scene where Korra and Asami have a romantic moment in the end. Don't think they originally kissed but the creators at least acknowledged they were a couple.

---------- Post added 10th Jun 2016 at 07:22 PM ----------

Shame. People like that are worse than the imaginary evil they're fighting.

"This show isn't moral so we'll give innocent people death threats even if they're kids". Yeah, pretty moral if you'd ask me.

I do think we'll get our representation sooner than later.

8. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  9. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  10. Fedora Mun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Legend Of Kora (the continueation of the Avatar the Last Air bender series) ended with Kora marrying a woman

11. ForeverMe

Korrasami!!!!!! Yasssssssssssss

12. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I don't think that ever happened. They were just holding hands - the one thing you can conclusively say from that is that they were probably into each other. The series does not include any marriage ceremony or even open declaration of mutual love.

13. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe if they have a religious character who accepts them than this might make religious anti-gay people accept them as well. And by accepting, not saying "I accept you as gay", as that agenda is 'In-the-face' but just not saying anything hating would be enough [I think].

Also, if they don't make the character about being LGBT. So if a gay girl wants a girlfriend, make it about her wanting a girlfriend, and not about being gay. A straight girl wouldn't make it about being straight, she'd make it about wanting a boyfriend. [I know that there has been difficulties with being gay, but if we're looking at young children watching the show, not giving them the idea that some people can hate might stop them from hating].

Would it survive the backlash, if any? Let's put it this way. On one channel is a 24/7 religious service [or something like this]. Anybody whose not religious/anti-religious can simply not watch it. In the same way, those who are anti-LGBT simply don't watch the show that shows LGBT characters. No point forcing them. We might want to, but forcing them [I think] would make the backlash worse.

14. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Apparently, there are a few shows with LGBT characters- Zootopia and Finding Dory, to name a few recent ones- the latter actually came up on BBC news.

However, in a modern-yet-backwards country such as Singapore, I'm pretty sure that there would be a large amount of backlash- not surprised if parents forbid their kids from watching shows with open LGBT characters. We're very backwards in that fact. Might not be pulled off the shelves, but backlash and complains would fly.

15. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is what I was going to say ^

16. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pretty sure they haven't been confirmed LBGT+, though. It just seems to be implied. (Still, pretty cool!)

17. rudysteiner

Feel free to have a go at me for this, but I don't think LGBT characters are needed on kids TV shows. Shows aimed at a teenage audience, yes, but kids, no. The children who are going to be sat at home watching Disney Junior don't need representation of heterosexual couples, never mind homosexual couples. Relationships, heterosexual or homosexual, are too complex to understand at that young an age, which is why in programs such as Rugrats, it's centred on the kids, with the adults being secondary characters, and their relationships even more irrelevant than that. The only reason we think about needing LGBT representation in kids TV is because we're looking back at it with extremely developed minds compared to the intended audience's minds.

We forget that when we're four and five, we don't care about relationships. At this age, we've only just started learning about gender, and we first learn about it through boys playing with trucks and girls playing with dolls. Relationships don't matter. Maybe racial diversity does, but diversity of sexuality doesn't.

Understandably, though, at the age we begin to explore relationships, when we're 11 and upwards, diversity of sexuality is essential.

#37 rudysteiner, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  18. GodlyArmadillo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That wasn't quite a wedding ending. They didn't even kiss. I think Korasami was a huge deal, but when you compare it to Aang and Katara's ending from the previous season, it pales in comparison.

19. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What about anime? Lots of kids love anime and there are lots of queer characters in it. For instance, Haruka and Michiru from Sailor Moon are a lesbian couple (though the homophobic Americans made them cousins in the dub). And I think Toya and Yukito from Card Captor Sakura are a gay couple.

20. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My apologies I've never watched it...