1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could a kid's show with LGBT characters survive the backlash

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Driftr, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Bobsleigh1

Bobsleigh1 Guest

It's still meant to be gay though, so you didn't exactly get anything wrong.
    The gems being genderless is kinda like a way of making the LGBT stuff acceptable to the people who are against it or think it's inappropriate.
    For example, if some dumb-ass parent complains about all the LGBT in SU, the creators or whoever can just be like 'but they're genderless so what does it matter?' as a way of getting away with it if they don't want to waste time defending it. ┐('д')┌
    But the intentions of characters like Garnet and the relationships of gems like Ruby and Sapphire or Rose and Pearl are meant to be representative of the LGBTQ+ community and such.
    I feel like the creators have practically confirmed that. (─‿─)

#41 Bobsleigh1, Jun 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2016
  2. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It will feel even better when they can include LGBT characters without making them genderless, though.

However, I do agree that this is a great way to send homophobes the middle finger :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Akane

Well, Rebecca Sugar found loop holes around it with her TV show, Steven Universe.
    (I swear she gives me more reasons to fall in love with her)

It's about humanoid geological shape-shifting aliens, they do not have a biological sex, nor do they understand concepts of gender because their home planet didn't have the concept, therefore agender.
    They "look female" so they are called by feminine pronouns by it doesn't seem to phase them in the least. There is a romantic couple among these aliens and is hinted that some have crushes on each other and of past romantic relationships.

Parents have more than likely made an uproar but like I said about the loopholes, Cartoon Network won't see to it that they are off air. Which I am thankful for because, I am 23 and I absolutely LOVE this show! Wished they had shows like this when I was much younger!

4. Glowing Eyes

It's not on anymore. I still remember having so much fun watching it three years ago.