1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(Cliche) In love with friend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Silver Springs, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Silver Springs

Oh, I hope you guys are right. I'm probably am reading too much into it, but that's definitely the vibe I was getting last night.... ah, I don't know what to do!

Now that he knows I have a crush, I just can't hold it in anymore. We don't see each other from Tuesday until Monday this week, so I feel like just writing him a letter telling him that I have feeling for him, then just scampering. I feel electric with the power of my feelings....

---------- Post added 10th Aug 2014 at 05:40 AM ----------

Friend
    Well maybe he knows
    You never know

Me
    Oh, I can state with near certainty that he does not know, haha.

Friend
    Really?
    Well you never know
    what has brought you to that conclusion?

Me
    Oh, quite a few things really. I would hope that he'd say something if he knew. Otherwise, I've been making a fool out of myself for nothing.

Friend
    maybe hes just worried about saying something?
    idk

-------

Well, on further analysis that does sound vaguely suspicious...

2. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Just ask him out before someone else does. That tends to happen sometime, and you both seem to get on well. Just don't be toooooooooooooooo spooky about it or he'll think you're something out of the exorcist.

:grin:

3. Mane92

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    In a case like this I don't think letters are sensible enough. I think (this is totally my opinion, not a theory) it's better if your confession happens in real time, looking at his eyes, making it a special moment, you know. A letter merely can't raise the atmosphere for a lovely confession. It's always better to do such a thing in person, i guess coz when you are really there with him the flowing of emotions will be more open, right? :slight_smile:

4. Silver Springs

The power of Christ compels thee, the power of Christ compels thee! One of his friends is actually trying to set him up... He is in high demand, haha. I should really make a move as soon as possible.

Oh, damn you Mane92, you're so right! It was all I could do not to tell him via Facebook, but, being a hopeless romantic, I refrained. Even if it has dug me a bigger hole. I just don't know, I don't think I'll be able to say all the things I want to say in person, and it would just be really awkward, depending on the outcome, haha.

---------- Post added 10th Aug 2014 at 11:41 AM ----------

Oh, and I just remembered another reason why I probably shouldn't tell him face to face. No matter what he does, I'm bound to burst into tears. If he likes me as well, I'll start to cry. If he doesn't, I'll start to cry.

5. Moonhammer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Set up a mental blockade, always works for me.

6. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    That will be fine as long as you make his bald man cry.

inb4Tyrion.

7. Mikoto

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same as above. And i love cliches :3

8. Silver Springs

I've decided that a letter is the only way I can really tell him. He has responded well to letters in the past, maybe I'll be able to do it again.... I'm going to transcribe this on paper, and hand it to him tomorrow afternoon, hopefully. Any suggestions/additions?

Dear (friend)
    I'm so lucky to have you as a friend. You have brought such joy to my life, helped me through some awful moments and given me wonderful experiences that I have never had with anyone else. I have been able to tell you things that I cannot trust anyone else with, and you have always been the perfect listener.

I'm being so selfish here (friend). You don't need to hear this. I don't need to tell you this. But I have feelings for you that I can hardly put into words. I didn't decide to have them, I can't trace back to when they started, all I know is that I have grown to see you as a more than a friend.

I don't deserve you (friend). I can say honestly that you are one of the most amazing people in the world, and that you are certainly the most beautiful person I have ever met. Knowing you has enriched my life so much. I had no idea going to (place we went to for school trip) that I would gain you as a friend. You are by far the best thing that has happened o me in such a long time. You have been a true friend to me, and I hope that I have not ruined this through giving this to you on an impulse.

I'm sorry for this (friend). I wish that I had been able to stay silent about this, but I just couldn't. It would be so much more simpler just to keep quiet, to just stay friends without telling you how I felt. But I cannot keep this secret anymore. I will understand whatever you need to do. If you never want to talk to me again, I understand. If you wish to simply remain friends, I understand. What I would not understand is someone as wonderful as you returning my feelings.

I've gone with my heart; just go with yours, and everything will be fine.

From, your friend,
    (...)

9. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    A simple 'I love you', would have probably sufficed.

10. Silver Springs

Simple, yet effective, haha. Yeah, just saying I love you could work, but it doesn't fully capture what I feel.

11. dmarc92

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    To be honest, there are no stronger words than i love you, its the emotion that you possess when you say it that makes the difference. Thats why I still believe telling him in person would be the best decision you could make, whether he feels the same or not.

12. Octoberfalls

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure what's your best option here, whether to just say I love you (which might freak him out on the spot), to send him that big explanation, or whether to just say you've got feelings for him instead?

I've been in a similar situation with my best friend like 6-7 years ago when I told him I loved him. I messaged him on MSN and sent a big wall of text, sorta like that. I didn't get a reply for ages, and then suddenly I got 'I'm not gay.' Unfortunately it made things awkward for him for several days.
    Flashback to last year where alot has happened, I started having feelings for him again and told him in person, simply saying that I had feeling for him and wondered what he thought as we're really close. He wasn't freaked out at all! We actually had a good conversation where he explained he's tried to have feelings for a guy in the past, but he doesn't think he can do it.

^ That was alot better way IMO for me personally, so unsure what's going to be the best way for you.

13. Silver Springs

Hmmm... I'm just throwing ideas out there but maybe I could just tell him that I love him, then, depending on the outcome, give him the letter straight afterwards.

14. Rumpletubb

Hello, love the story and how intense your relation is.

I think that the letter would be too much. You don't have to convey all the bottled up emotions at first, that comes with a rejection or a relationship. Just tell him that you have feelings for him and don't overcomplicate things. It's not necessary. KISS, keep it simple, stupid. Since you are stupid when you are in love, it is the perfect principle to follow or at least remember. All he needs to know right now is the basics of your feelings, because that's what important right now, isn't it?

I hope it all goes well and good luck!

15. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Overclouding tends to scare off potential suitors. You are madly in love with him. He almost certainly isn't to that extent but might be willing to explore options with you. You're putting quite a lot into what he views as a good friendship, and the last thing you would want is to have him think you are obsessed with him. It would work the way you want it if his feelings for you are the same as your feelings for him.

From your account he seems blissfully unaware that you are even interested in him. Receiving a lot of Shakespeare might alarm him sine you'd be revealing a lot of information that he likely never suspected and might not yet be ready to accept.

Either way it is your decision, but once that letter is sent there is no going back.

16. user123456

Out Status:
    Some people
    To me it also seems the letter is too much.

Yeah, it probably perfectly states what you feel. But that's a lot to take. As somebody advised me, being told even a simple "I love you" to anybody is usually very hard to swallow even if it's in a straight loving couple. Now imagine it's a guy, and on top of that, your best friend, who you are not sure how he's feeling. I'd personally try to do it less... umm I dunno, less romantic?

17. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Still sounds better than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCbtRWD12xo

18. dmarc92

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think people tend to think when you tell somebody your feelings it has to be genius. Its not about how you tell the person, its about telling them. If you truly love him, tell him just that. It isnt necessary to make a long speech and it doesnt matter if dropping "i love you" could be awkward or too much. What matters is that after you tell him, whether he feels the same or not, you'll have no regrets. You would have said what you felt, love. If you downsize with an i like you and he doesnt feel the same, you might as well told him you love him and if you overdo it & freak him out you'll regret not keeping it true and simple. "I love you." What more is there to say? Thats how you feel isnt it? Its hard, TRUST ME i know, but if you dont say it and you truly love him, than it'll be a mistake you'll hate yourself for. Just say it. If its true, tell him. I love you. period. Anything that comes after is up to him. I wish you luck.

19. IG88

Adding "I love you" to the end of your letter will complete it if you go that route. If that's more your style, and he knows that, then he would expect a letter from you, right? The expression of your feelings could start from "I love you," and go into more detail from there in conversation if things go well.

I'm glad you also have the drive to tell him how you feel. It kind of sounds like he was hinting around that he could be the one that you're flirting with. Overall, I would act quickly before someone else swoops him up, and also because you realized that you two cannot remain platonic friends forever.

And like others have said, I love your writing! It makes me want to read more :eusa_clap
    I'm putting you in charge of writing my biography! :grin:

20. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'd probably go with the face to face route. But if you must write a letter, I think you should get rid of these:

• That last horrible, low self-esteem, paragraph. The whole thing, gone.

• "I don't deserve you" (Why not?)

• "You don't need to hear this. I don't need to tell you this." (Yes he does, and yes you do)

Good luck.