1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

circumcision. yay or nay

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by shadowmonger, May 22, 2014.

1. Theron

My partner and I are both cut. As we don't remember any differently, it doesn't really bother us much in the sex department.

But given the choice, both of us would have chosen not to be.

2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Even though I'm female and I'll never understand how it feels to be cut, I sympathize with some of you guys and understand the complications. I will never ever cut my future son.

3. Jonathan

While I believe it should be left up for the individual to decide, I was circumcised and I don't believe that it has greatly impacted my life.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I had a son, I probably wouldn't have him circumcised, but it's not something I'm hugely against, and it's not something I have a problem with. I'd have to do some awkward research into how to care for your foreskin when the time came to teach him, as I haven't had one since I was about 3 weeks old.

5. frostedflakes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    For me, I am circumcised, but, parents will circumcise their male children for many reasons. It could be for cutural, health, or just preference reasons. Some parents may not even decide to circumcise until their male children decide if they want to be circumcised or not.

6. Kat 5

It is unnecessary.

7. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    im circumcised, and I wish I wasnt. If I ever have son I will leave it up to him. I believe if God wanted you to have a foreskin you'd be born with it.

8. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

I have heard this topic before and I've seen it two ways.

1. A reason parents get it done is for aesthetics purposes. Foreskin can be seen as gross and since it's main purpose was to protect the penis from the environment (back when we were all cavemen) today we don't see it as necessary to have. Also having your foreskin removed in adulthood is a lot more stressful than having it snipped when you're too young to remember.

2. The child should rightfully have a say, seeing as it's their body. If I were to have a son I definitely would be against having him circumcised, I find it cruel and unusual to put someone through that even if they won't remember it.

In the end their will be this always.

"I was circumcised and I wish I wasn't"

"I wasn't circumcised and I wish I was"

I mean for the females here:
    Imagine if part of your clitoral hood was snipped as a baby. Only worse.

9. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For those of you who say you wish you weren't, you still have the option of opting against the decision if and when you have children.

A lot of people cite religion or health, when really, they seem to be in the minority of arguments, and more seem to be concerned with following the status quo and making the penis look more... picturesque? It can be tough to break a social norm, when it's so supported and seen as the default.

I've seen arguments how foreskin "greatly increases" the chances of developing HIV, or circumcised penises "don't need to be cleaned"... ridiculous. Again, it seems purely bias on their part, especially when they throw out terms like "ant eater".

My stance: unless it's absolutely necessary, like a life or death decision, the choice should be the child's.

10. KazTastic

There's a lab in Italy that's working on regenerating the foreskin from stem cells (Linky), but it still seems to be a way off.

11. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

This pretty much. Although I do think the foreskin being gross is a weird argument since It's not like the parents are gonna sleep with the kid, and their partner might like it. I think the labia looks pretty gross in an aesthetic POV, but I'd never chop my daughter up for that reason : (

I'm not trying to start a debate though, I'm just pointing out It's...odd.

12. Camerooon

Two of my cousins were circumcised for medical reasons and I'm totally okay with that. Other than for medical reasons, though, I'm against circumcising children without their consent. Luckily here in the UK it's less common and I'm uncut.

13. Maeve

I'm female, but I've thought a lot about this. Partly because of my Jewish heritage, and partly because it's horrifyingly fascinating.

There's compelling evidence that circumcision can help prevent the spread of STIs. There are lower rates of penile cancer and UTIs. It also removes the risk of phimosis.

Now, if most people have access to condoms, preventing STIs isn't such an issue. I can see how it could be beneficial in regions where there isn't access to contraceptives, and STIs (including HIV) run rampant. Penile cancer and UTIs in males are rare, and the latter is easily treated.

I see no reason to routinely circumcise baby boys. If I have sons, they absolutely won't be circumcised. If a problem arises, we'll deal with it then. I also think if an adult wants to get circumcised, then he should go for it.

14. yidnah87

I am cut and not happy about it. I could go into a long rant about it, but I wont at this time. Many people on here have already mentioned the drawbacks and ethical issues.

I have begun to restore, haven't really seen results yet, but hopefully time will make a difference.

15. shadowmonger

Out Status:
    A few people
    Part of any restoration sites?

16. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

A lot of my straight friends don't date uncut men. They personally find foreskin disgusting. My mother is like that. She doesn't like uncircumcised men, but that's her personal opinion. So it's not like the PARENTS are thinking "oh his foreskin is gross let's snip it we don't wanna see that". It's more like they are thinking along the line of him finding a mate because they have a traditional mindset of circumcised men are more sought after, so circumcising him as a baby will benefit him later.

I don't care. A dick is a dick. No one sucks dick because they enjoy the feeling of having a dick in their mouth, they do it because they love the person. So why would you care about foreskin?

17. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Significantly less common - only 8.5% of men in the UK are circumcised, compared to 75.5% of men in the US. Circumcision is a lot less prevalent in Europe - virtually all European countries have a majority of men uncircumcised. It was never commonplace to begin with, and I have no idea why it's so common in the US.

18. BelleFromHell

As you can tell from my comments on this thread, I say nay. I don't believe any part of a child's body should be amputated, unless it's a life or death situation.

19. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

You. I like you.

20. oliro

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I dont even understand how this idea started.