1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Canadian Election

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Manitoban, Oct 19, 2015.

1. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Perhaps, but he is probably better qualified than the current leader for 2016 Republican nominee for President (Donald Trump).

---------- Post added 19th Oct 2015 at 10:36 PM ----------

Oh, I don't know. Bush has been out of office for several years now, and I still like George Bush jokes...

2. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Harper's out, most of us are happy but reality will soon kick in. He's super privileged, his CV barely qualifies him to work at McDonald's... Has almost no experience, zero foreign policy knowledge... Eh I don't know. He'll probably be kicked out of office within a year.

3. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Best Prime Minister ever.

[​IMG]

4. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm pleased! I was basically running back to the office in between classes today to watch the numbers.

Obviously, we had no good (real) options this time around. But of the three stooges, I think Trudeau's our best bet. So, yeah, thank god. (And let's hope like crazy he's read every journal/diary/essay/etc. his father ever wrote and takes after the old man and doesn't just rely on someone like Wynne!)

(And then there's this...)
    [​IMG]

#44 CJliving, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  5. Jakob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You still can. Even though he is no longer prime minister or leader of the Tories, he's still an MP for Calgary Heritage.

---------- Post added 20th Oct 2015 at 09:56 AM ----------

Well, for me, I'm a little disappointed. Though, I'm glad Mr. Harper is out. I definitely saw the Liberals winning, but not in such a fashion. I also knew the NDP wouldn't do great, but I'm still disappointed. Mr. Trudeau looks like a strong man. He is a great speaker, and I like his bluntness. (He once called someone a piece of shit in the House of Commons. Glorious.) I'm worried on the Liberal Party's stance on the Trans-Pacific Partnership and Bill C-51, but I do like several of their platforms. I hope their promise of #RealChange is, indeed, real change.

I'm sure if Jack was still alive it would be him in the prime minister's office. We miss you, Jack.

---------- Post added 20th Oct 2015 at 10:21 AM ----------

The NDP started losing traction for one big reason. Québec.

Québec has usually been pro-NDP. Last election the "Orange Wave", as it was called, started in Québec. They gained a lot of seats there, even the péquistes supported the New Democrats. Though, that was under Jack. After his death, Mr. Mulcair took over, and naturally, people were wary. Mr. Mulcair is a good man, but Mr. Layton was a great one.

Fast forward to the latter half of this summer. Tom started campaigning in Québec, and started out strong. The inherent NDP support coupled with Mr. Mulcair's personal popularity showed a strong leaning towards orange. But, several things came out of the woodwork. Someone let slip that Tom was in talks with joining the Conservative Party before becoming a member of the NDP and that he was also originally a member of Quebec's Liberal Party.

The platform itself was also an issue. The NDP suddenly decided against deficit spending and promised balanced budgets, they advocate the abolition of the Senate, they are against the Trans-Pacific Partnership, all things the Québecois have the opposite position on.

6. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I bet you that Wynne will push dumb Trudeau under the bus as soon as she can to take his position. Her cancer will spread from Ontario to all provinces... It's easy to see that Trudeau is nothing but Wynne's puppet.

#46 justin88, Oct 20, 2015
  7. Manitoban

Ontarian's just seem to have horrible opinions of all of their premiers. Bob Rae spent all the money! Mike Harris cut everything! Mcginty mismanged everything! And Wynne is scandalous.

I honestly don't think Wynne us that bad. If she stopped her sale of hydro one and actually made an effort to limit spending I think she'd be a good premier.

---------- Post added 20th Oct 2015 at 03:38 PM ----------

But I do hope Trudeau won't forget about the west... At least Winnipeg voted strongly for him. Maybe we'll get some of that infrastructure money...

8. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Do your research on Wynne, she's the worst thing that's ever happened to Ontario. That pathetic woman is not capable of telling the truth even if her life depended on it. Hydro One, Teachers, Sudbury scandal... Ect.

#48 justin88, Oct 20, 2015
  9. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sure beats having a guy who doesn't know math.

10. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Who you talking about? lol

11. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tim Hudak. I remember seeing all those ads on the CBC during the playoffs last summer about #HudakMath and that his tax plan would decimate Ontario's finances.

12. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, I got distracted by other things, and somehow missed this!

I am so happy to see that Harper has been deposed. He seemed like a very mean-spirited sort, bringing with him that kind of acrimony that seems more common in American politics.

He also had a horrible environmental record, and I'd always admired Canada for being more sensible on these matters than the US, but Harper pretty much gutted things, and put Canada on about the same footing as the US. I suppose, too, the discovery of those horridly toxic tar sands has made concern for the environment a lot less appealing.

Well, I hope the new person does a better job; curious to see his agenda on these matters.

13. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't know much about Canadian politics but I will say this much:

Justin Trudeau: Woof
    [​IMG]

14. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Don't know much about politics north of the border. That said, it's my cynical thought at times about US politicians that there is real truth to this joke:

Q. How do you tell when a politician is lying?
    A. His or her lips are moving.​

15. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't really know how to feel about it.

It was the first time I voted. I'm glad that the conservatives are out, but the two other parties don't really appeal to me either. My county is still under NDP.

For those wondering why NDP had such a loss, let me try to explain why. As you know, most of the party's approval was in Quebec in 2011. However, the guy basically said : ''Eh, they're already voting for us. No need to represent them anymore.'' Thus, he began to say different things in French and in English, as if we were not bilingual... He was also for Transcanada pipeline (but not in French! In French he's against it!) The Niquab (while the most stupid election issue I've ever heard), was the last straw.

The other option would be that people voted strategically and since the Liberals were predicted to win, Quebecers voted for them, hence excluding the NDP.

I'm happy for the Bloc and how they regained some counties, but I'm a bit disapointed to see them elect PET's son. I don't he's going to do ''nuit des longs couteaux 2'' or something, but it's still unsettling. I'm hoping he's better than his father...

(Also, Quebec city and its surroundings... You suck. I don't want to live here anymore xD)

16. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have to admit a certain fantasy of him wandering down to the Seattle area, running across me, we instantly fall passionately in love...

But of course, I had to read the Wikipedia article which says he's married to a woman. :tears:

17. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    There's a bunch of pictures of him shirtless, the dude knows how to stay in shape

18. Manitoban

I don't know. I watched both the french debates and all three english ones. Mulcair seemed to say the same things in both. Of course he put more emphasis on certain topics but I think that is natural. I wouldn't have expected him to announce his infrastructure plan for Toronto in Vancouver for instance.

Perhaps the Niqab issue. Though Trudeau supported the exact same position... But everyone seemed to ignore that.

I think the real one was Strategic Voting. There was a bit of a slump in the NDP polls back at the start of September. I think people in the east in specific really just wanted to dump Harper. However this is me looking from the outside, in.

---------- Post added 20th Oct 2015 at 06:19 PM ----------

I actually feel a bit sorry for Atlantic Canada. If there happens to be any issues there there is no opposition members that can credibly speak for them now.

#58 Manitoban, Oct 20, 2015
  19. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think people in general were just turned off by Angry Tom like many mentioned. He should just step down.... Someone else should take charge for the NDP.

#59 justin88, Oct 20, 2015
  20. Manitoban

The NDP lost most of their big names though. I'm not sure who could take over. Nathan Cullen? Charlie Angus? i'm not even sure if either speaks french.

---------- Post added 20th Oct 2015 at 06:58 PM ----------

Granted the conservatives are in the same boat...