1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you forgive homophobes if they are elderly?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GingerGuy, Aug 30, 2013.

1. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes and no. I'll let slurs slide, I guess, since they weren't raised with the more liberal ideals we have today, but that doesn't mean I'm going to take any shit from them just because they're old. If people want my respect, they need to give respect in return.
    Besides, LGBT seniors exist too.

2. Dodonnas

Dodonnas Guest

My thoughts. I'm sure they could change, but it would be an involved process best done by knowing someone they love come out.

Besides, I'd rather hate nor be angry with anyone, it just brings me down too.

3. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol
    Mm nope. Age isn't a 100% secure barrier to introspective thinking, morality, and mental/social progress. I can understand it is harder to outthink something you are raised to believe, but i think it shows strength, individuality, and willpower to be able to. I dont really respect people that CAN but choose not to and blame it on "i was born in a different time - my parents were racist/homophobic, so I am too - thats just the way it is".

So while I understand why, I don't sympathize. At all.

I know several people 70+ who are O-k with homosexuality, but werent in the past.

I don't feel like people who are older than me deserve any sort of special respect just for being old, so if I were to be insulted/hear an insult against homosexuality or race or anything, i would call them on it immediately.

I know this is where I lose some people, because "all old people deserve respect! they are old and feeble" While that may be true for some, Im kind of cruel and blunt, and i dont care too much about that.

4. Zodavva

I still find it really, really difficult to tolerate homophobia. It doesn't have any rational basis, so I can't respect someone with those views, and their age doesn't matter. Having said that, I still talk to people who are quite homophobic, so I wouldn't cut off that person entirely - I would just talk to them about the issues reasonably and if they're reasonable they will accept a major difference in this area and not bring up the issue.

5. justjade

That was my first thought, too. :lol:

I don't like it when they say things that are homophobic. It bothers me, yes, but my husband says that you can't measure yourself by what old people say. I'm not sure exactly why, but in a weird way, it makes sense.

6. Zannan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes and no because you grew up learning that doesn't mean I'll tolerate it. Things change. However, I forgive everyone because by forgiving you release a burden on yourself. Just because homosexuality was a crime in your time doesn't mean you get to be obnoxious about it.

7. Foxface

I respect the beliefs of everyone and believe in the freedom to think as they choose. I've already forgiven homophobes of any age

Foxface

8. photoguy93

I'm of a different school of thought, I guess. If they are truly old (I'm talking old, not 50) then I let it slide. Old people are either not of sound mind or have lived different lives.)
    A few stories here.....once, I was talking with people at work about state hospitals for mentally disabled people (I work in group homes.) we all would have been appalled to live in that time, but I said "as sick as it sounds, we all might have been the same way. We probably would have been scared. We would probably have wanted them there." Times change. Things have changed so quickly. We can't assume we know all.
    Also...my grandma, god love her, is nearing 80 and has dementia. In her prime, she had all different kinds of friends - black, gay, anything. For our town, that was a big deal. Now, with her dementia, she's become more prejudiced and says things that aren't her. So if I heard someone like her say something, I'd laugh it off.

A lot of older people just don't know any different. We need to be open and loving so they can see how good we are. But in terms of worrying about older people or people our age who are horrifically homophobic, I'm more worried about our generation.