1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you forgive homophobes if they are elderly?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GingerGuy, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People cannot be excused because they're old. A brain born in 1928 can remain as healthy and functional in 2013, and is just as capable of learning new things. There's no reason old people need to keep their outdated mindsets in the modern world.

I'll forgive them because I'm forgiving, not because they get a free pass. :slight_smile:

2. Stephany

I try not to judge anyone and the journey they are on, even if it is a hateful one. I am not walking in their shoes.

I have worked in nursing homes in hospice and I can say the elderly... we'll... they aren't going to change what they've been taught very easy. I had a gentlemen that would not let "blacks" as he called them take care of him or "japs" as he called anyone of an Asian decent because of the wars he was in. It is sad. But my heart breaks for them. Because he would rather die in his own waste than let someone of those backgrounds take care of him. Their generation was different than ours and yours. We are in a generation of "anti-bullying" "be yourself" "tolerance" "acceptance". They came from a time of bible beating, man up or ship out. Very very different than what we can imagine. When a father can beat his son into a bloody pulp and get no consequences because the judge sympathized with the father finding out his son was "queer". Different time.

Just try not to judge. It's hard, but try not to. You will never walk in their shoes...

3. Secretman

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can generally forgive anyone for their thoughts as long as they don't act on them.

If someone is afraid of someone else for whatever reason, I feel sorry for them. However if they try to hurt someone or make someone feel bad then no, I can't forgive them, at least not as easily.

4. Fairylink

I understand what you're saying. I don't think it's right though. I also don't get offended by the elderly hate for some reason. Again, I don't think that excuses it though.

5. Matty1994

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm sorry I just had to say this, homophobia is not a belief it's bullying to put it lightly. Would you say racism is a belief and are you fine with racist people as well? Also saying homophobia is a sin is exactly what homophobia is, people who think it's a sin actively dislike gay people which makes them homophobic. If we let everyone walk around hating people because of their orientation, skin colour, gender then this would be a very horrible place to live in (even more so than it currently is). In fact I'm pretty sure the whole world would be in a worse state than Russia currently is. You can't simply just allow people to be hurtful to other people and say "oh it's fine if they aren't doing it to me or people who I know" if we all had that mentality I dread to think where we would be.

6. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Homophobic people are homophobic people no matter what age.

When this person

[youtube]pOkt2ZFyUlI[/youtube]

is significantly older than this person

[youtube]PWOW9o0S4do[/youtube]

It's really no excuse for homophobia because you "grew up with it".

#26 Jinkies, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  7. Jessica79

My opinion is this:

They are shit for doing it but they have been warped by the minds of others like lets say theres 1 homphobic person in a group and the rest are cool that 1 homophobic guy will warp the minds of the others its quite sad really ;-;

I used to call people derogatory terms but I guess it was a way of hiding my own sexuality as I wanted to fit in ;-;

8. MerBear

Homophobia is just something, some person threw in for hating against gays.
    Phobia is a irrational fear.

a lot don't have this "fear" ...its just BIGOTRY
    a lot of you, don't understand this. its not homophobia, its just bigotry.

i didn't say homophobia was a belief, i was talking about if they believe homosexuality is nasty, a sin, or like whatever ...

if they believe it then just let them believe it. its their right to believe whatever they want. just because someone doesn't agree with gay marriage, doesn't make them "homophobic" ...it just means, they don't agree with it and you're going to just have respect that.

Unless they are actually bullying you personally or someone else, then leave it be.

I really dislike the LGBT community for throwing this around because a lot use it so loosely. they aren't always "hating" on gays either, they just don't agree with it. don't act like you haven't disagreed with something irrational before either.

If someone thinks being gay is a sin or whatever then you should respect that. its their opinion and they have the right to believe what they want

get it right.

9. Matty1994

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Despite it being called homophobia it is actually a term used for all kinds of discramination or hate towards LGBT people not just an irrational fear. Someone who doesn't believe in gay marriage is most certainly homophobic, they think that two people shouldn't be able to get married and be happy because they're gay, that is homophobia. The fact is that anyone who thinks it is a sin or thinks that it is wrong don't deserve my respect or anyone else's because we all know that their views aren't at all valid and they shouldn't be respected as there is absolutely no reason for it. Also why should I respect their "beliefs" if they don't respect my "choice" to be gay. Maybe you should think a bit more and stick up for LGBT people rather than saying everything's fine anyone can be racist, homophobic, sexist assholes because that's what you believe and I "respect" that.

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

So, we have to respect Hitler's opinion that Jews are dirty and worthless thieves and Slavs are inferior slave beings? If someone's idea is that I'm worth less than them because of a clearly wrong opinion, I'll respect them about as much as I respect the all-knowing opinion of a toddler. This isn't a matter of opinion. This is our rights being trampled on because somebody wants to be willfully ignorant.

11. MerBear

Yes because its an opinion or belief. You have to respect other people's opinion even if you don't agree with it. It's being the bigger person and also being respectful when you don't have to be.

Hun, listen ...okay? its an opinion...your going to learn later on in life, people have different opinions or beliefs than you and your going to have to respect that. nothing is perfect including people.. there are some hateful people in the world and no matter how much we try to win the fight, we can't always change their opinion.

were fighting for gay marriage and getting through obstacles, that's good but not everyone is going to agree with gay marriage or gay couple and we just have to deal with that.

its being mature.

12. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I actually agree with MerBear to some extent. Some people are just raised to believe that homosexuality is wrong, usually because of their religion, and changing their mind isn't an easy thing to do when they are devoted to their way of life. Should they have the right to disrespect the LGBT community? No. But if they state their opinion and say why they think it is wrong, then that is their business, just like it's my business to say I don't agree with that opinion. But it is their job to truly follow their religion and learn that no matter what the differences are between us and them, they should show respect like any other human being.

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not about "maturity". When somebody willfully causes harm, it's important not to respect that. It's also a rapist's opinion that they're entitled to their victim's body. Please don't give me "when you're older" condescending rubbish. Respect goes both ways, and they're never going to respect us while their opinion of us is like it is.

14. Matty1994

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok so why are you talking to me as if you're 20 years older than me and you know better? I don't HAVE to respect anyone's opinion if it is wrong and without proper reasoning. Like the other guy said, should we all respect Hitler's opinion, you know that's what he believed so it makes it perfectly ok, right? I know full well that people have different opinions, growing up in a rural area has certainly taught me that. But honestly I can't be bothered arguing with you. Anyone who supports homophobia and thinks people should respected for it really aren't worth arguing with.

15. MerBear

Hun, your not understanding. I'm talking about an "opinion" as in verbal not physical.

If someone physically hurts you because of your sexuality or threatens you because of your sexuality then that's not okay

but if your in a disscussion or see something and someone says something like

"i don't like gay marriage because of *whatever reason*"

or says "i don't like seeing gay couple" or saying " "i believe homosexuality is a sin"

then, i think...its best for their opinion/belief to be respected.

like for instance, someone believing in god. if someone says they believe in god and you don't ...do you think they should be called "delusional" or "ignorant" because they believe in a god? No, i don't think you would think so

so the same should apply here

16. Hexagon

I will not respect an opinion unless I think its worthy of respect. It isn't about maturity. If we respect harmful opinions, and yes, opinions can be very harmful, they aren't going to go anywhere. Its one thing to debate civilly, to not make personal attacks etc, but quite another to let things go because they're cloaked in the mythical protection of 'an opinion'.

Sure, we can't always change their opinions. But I don't think anyone on this forum needs to learn that people have different opinions than they do, because they already know it, and I don't think they need to learn that everything should be automatically respected, for reasons I've already mentioned.

Yeah, we're fighting for our rights. And one of the best ways we have of getting them is changing people's opinions.

In a discussion, if I heard someone say something like that, I'd ask why, and provide reasons for why their homophobia is unreasonable. It doesn't always work, but it does sometimes. I don't see why thats comparable to a belief in a deity. No, its more comparable to saying 'I believe god wants me to kill babies' than 'I believe in god'. One is harmful, the other is something I simply don't agree with.

Why ever should I respect the belief that homosexuality is somehow wrong or inferior to heterosexuality?

#36 Hexagon, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  17. MerBear

Your right on that one Hex but you have to understand, im talking about JUST a general discussion.

18. Hexagon

So am I. I'd happily engage people of differing views in debates, at the right time, if their views were simply different from mine. But I'm talking about hearing homophobia in everyday conversation, and I will almost always challenge it. There are other things I take such a position on too. I'm fighting for people's rights, and talking is one of the few weapons I have at the moment.

19. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Confession time.. I'm the worst lgbt member ever. I forgive every homophobe regardless or age/sex/race/whatever because I'm horrible and don't know how to deal with them and aww shucks.

Other then that, I agree with MerBear :slight_smile: If I was a spider I wouldn't get too grouchy at arachnophobes. It's just how some people are.

However, come at me with a baseball bat because of my sexuality and I'll fuck you up.

20. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "To criticize a person for their race is manifestly irrational and ridiculous, but to criticize their religion, that is a right. That is a freedom. The freedom to criticize ideas, any ideas - even if they are sincerely held beliefs - is one of the fundamental freedoms of society."

As such there is no reason we should accept homophobia just because it comes from a religious belief. Why shouldn't someone call you up on it if you say "I think homosexuality is a sin".

The respect thing is fine to a point. You respect someones right to think what they do, up until it affects someone else no matter how little, at which point it becomes fair game. If they keep it in their head, fine let them have it. But if that thought means that when you're talking to them they treat you differently to everyone else you don't have to respect that.

I've yet to find the person who when confronted after saying something homophobic has managed to give an even half decent reason as to why it's OK to do so...