1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biphobia

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jayo, Oct 24, 2023.

1. Jayo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I’m a bi man . New here. I’m super grateful to be here. I didn’t realize some in the community have negative feelings towards bi people. We can be trusted lol

2. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think lesbian women are sometimes hesitant about getting involved with bisexual women. I wouldn't say that's 'biphobia' though, just a fact of life, and a genuine risk that a relationship might break down due to their partner's needs that they can't fulfill. I imagine most straight women wouldn't be comfortable dating a bi guy either for the same reason.

3. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's great to hear that you're open about your identity as a bisexual man and that you appreciate being a part of the community. It's important to remember that people's experiences and perspectives can vary widely, and it's not uncommon for stereotypes or misconceptions to exist about different groups, including bisexual individuals.

You're correct that some people, regardless of their sexual orientation, may have concerns or misconceptions about dating someone who is bisexual. It's important to address these concerns and stereotypes through open and honest communication. Bisexual individuals, like anyone else, can be in healthy, loving, and committed relationships, and their sexual orientation doesn't inherently make them untrustworthy or more likely to have unmet needs.

Some people do experience biphobia, which can manifest in various ways, including discrimination, prejudice, or negative stereotypes. However, not every hesitancy or concern about dating a bisexual person necessarily falls under biphobia. It's essential for everyone to approach relationships with understanding and respect, whether they are dating someone of the same or a different sexual orientation.
    For a long time, I felt that I was not allowed to use the bisexuality label as it made me feel uncomfortable. It wasn't about finding bisexual people untrustworthy. It was my own uncomfortableness, but I've learned a lot since then. It's all about learning and communication.

Ultimately, trust, communication, and mutual respect are crucial in any relationship, regardless of the sexual orientation of the people involved. It's important to engage in open conversations with potential partners to address any concerns and build healthy and fulfilling relationships.

4. Keller

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Welcome, then. This surely is a nice place where to be among plenty of wonderful people :slight_smile:

Being a bisexual man can surely be hard. On the one hand you get the best of both worlds, on the other you get people who says stuff like “you’re gay, just didn’t accept it yet”, or claim that bisexuals don’t exist and those who simply find it a major turn off.

Then again, from what I gather being a bisexual woman isn’t easy either, considering what @JT1999 said and fetishising.

5. Jayo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can understand how someone would feel that way. With being bi for me I’m fully committed to whoever I’m with I’ve been married for 19 years and never cheated on my wife but I still consider myself bi because I have had sex with both men and women. And I enjoy both . Both genders cheat so I don’t really understand why people think a bi person is more likely to cheat . A persons needs can still be met in a mixed orientation relationship. I find for myself when I’m into you I’m all in. Loyalty is everything.

6. Jayo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks I agree with you on this.

7. Jayo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It can be difficult at times. I haven’t came out to anyone except on this platform. For me I’m attracted to both sexes so I wouldn’t call it gay not that that’s a bad term but I really do like both for different reasons. I’m happily married to a woman . But that side of me is still there and I don’t deny that or have shame about it anymore

8. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm in a long term straight relationship and I love my boyfriend to bits, but it doesn't quite tick all the boxes for me, I feel like there are just some things I need that my boyfriend can't provide. For me, girlfriends have always been more of a friends-with-benefits type thing, not romantic. Luckily my boyfriend is pretty open-minded and doesn't mind me having some 'girl time', but I have always struggled with it a little as it does feel a bit like cheating, or maybe like he's missing out on time with me. He's known I was bi from the beginning and has been cool with it, but its not the sort of thing you can readily admit to friends & family and I wouldn't appreciate all the judgement. He really is a one-of-a-kind guy and I'm lucky to have him. But I wonder how compatible this is in a more settled relationship, I have my own place at the moment but we're going to be moving in together sometime around Christmas or just after New Year, so that might make things tricky. I want to get married and have kids one day and I wonder if it is appropriate behaviour for a parent?

9. Jayo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Congrats on being in a long term relationship with someone who sounds like they are open minded and accepting to how you feel . Me and my wife are really close and she’s also like my best friend too . I wish I could be open like you are with your man . For societal reasons and for not wanting to embarrass her I feel like I can’t . And all the stigma’s around bi men . Just my thoughts if he’s accepting and is a good man to you and allows you your girl time you should see where this relationship takes you. Good people are hard to find and good partners even harder.

10. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's not so easy now. In the beginning when we were together but not formally in a relationship, it was fun. I knew he liked hearing about it. I even asked him then, if we were in a serious relationship in the future would he consider it cheating and he said he didn't. He still doesn't, he's happy for me. My problems are more with myself. I don't think its compatible with societal expectations, like you say. Also, it shouldn't be a priority for me especially if I ever had kids. We don't have difficulties in our relationship at all, but 6 years isn't all that long and we've never lived together full time. I hear that it doesn't always get easier. Plus the logistics of it when I don't have my own place, that'd also make it difficult. So in a way I am preparing for a future without this. It's nice you and your wife are like best friends, I hope to be there some day. It feels like we're moving in that direction :slight_smile:

I understand where you're coming from about not feeling like you can be 100% open about it though, I think it'd be a lot harder if this hadn't been part of my life since the beginning of our relationship. And it is probably different with two guys too, I can't say I'm open minded enough that I'd be totally happy if he wanted to do something like that, even though it'd be hypocritical of me.

11. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sometimes I hate being Bi

12. Jayo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yea me too ! Its a gift and a curse sometimes

13. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Would you say it's more good than bad though? That's kinda how I feel. And in any case, aren't the best things in life the things that require hard work?

14. Jayo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think nowadays it’s not as bad . I’m 39 so me when I was growing up it felt like I had to hide it .that being said I feel like nowadays it is more good than bad . I think the best thing you can do is be honest with yourself and honest with your partner and hopefully you can create the life your happy with

15. Jayo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sorry things are kinda difficult now . Living together with someone it can either make or break a relationship both people have to be willing to compromise on things . But it’s so nice to always come home to someone you love. For women it seems that it’s really difficult to accept bi men that’s why so many remain silent. There’s kind of a stigma for men who engage in things like that. Just curious what would be the hardest part to accept if your man said he wanted to do stuff with a guy ?

16. Violet Rain

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I really didn't see a stigma about some in the community having prejudice against us bisexual or pansexual people until it was pointed out to me, and I saw it for myself. It's not the best situation, but we are here, and we are all valid, whether we're in a relationship with someone of a different gender or someone of the same gender.

I've been with the same man since my teen years, and he's always suspected I was at least "bi-curious", if not fully bisexual. I had it repressed for eons, due to family members - notably my mom - citing it was a "sin" to be LGBT+ in any fashion, and my mom not really accepting a lot of my choices in life, and who I was over the person she thought I should have been. Admitting it to myself, and my husband, was a relief for me. Yeah, there's a stigma attached to it, and I'm scared to come out to a lot of my LGBT+ pals, but just knowing who I am is a lot better than repressing it like I had for my entire life, you know? I feel more comfy in my skin knowing my true sexuality. I felt like a weight had been lifted, and more.

I just wish others would get that not all of us are either one way or another, within and outside of our community. Just because we're bi doesn't mean we're horrible, likely to cheat or otherwise. I know bisexual people who have been with the same person for eons and never ever cheated on their partner, or if they're polyamorous, never cheated on any of their partners, etc.

We're all valid. I keep reminding myself that daily, so I don't lose focus of taking care of me and my family.

17. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They're only difficult in my head, really. I enjoy the best of both worlds but its a big time drain and I kinda feel like it isn't right. There's no pressure from him to stop or any indication he isn't happy with it.

I don't really know what it is about that scenario, it's not jealousy, maybe its more of a gut reaction than anything else? The thought is not a turn on in any way - and I have had weird sexy dreams about watching him with another woman and stuff like that. I don't know what I'd actually think of that in real life, but in my head those were enjoyable. Maybe it's just because he's straight and I just can't imagine that he'd ever want to, so the thought of it doesn't fit? We have talked about threesomes, he always sounds keen but I think, only in the sense that most straight men would be keen on the idea, but it feels like there's no drive from him to make something like that happen. And he's the sort of guy that if he wants something, he goes on about it until he makes it happen. We've done things that a lot of people say they'd do but never do, we've been white water rafting, done a gorge walk and cliff jump, bungee jumping and parasailing on holiday. They were all things he'd not shut up about wanting to do and actively made them happen so I get the feeling it isn't something he has a strong desire for.

18. Jayo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Views on us are getting better. Just coming here and admitting to y’all and myself that I’m bi I did feel a little weight lifted off. But as a man and seeing how some women view bi men I wish women could accept it more. How would you feel if a man your dealing with said he’s bi just curious for your honest opinion

19. Jayo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    But if he did how would you feel? If he asked you to roll play how would you feel?

20. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think there is definitely far more acceptance today, especially the younger generations. I'm 24 and I can remember gay jokes at school, but there were people I went to school with who were out and there were far more people who'd defend them than there were people who had an issue with them.

Wider societal acceptance probably does generate more vocal pushback from the people who are anti-LGBT - we can see that on social media. But I think from a purely numbers perspective though, things are moving in the right direction. I'm in a weird spot where I never really came out publicly to everyone but I didn't hide it and did tell a few people. I was openly into women at university and didn't attempt to hide it from new friends and housemates. I only ever had one person who was actively hostile (she was a foreign student from Africa and a Christian, so understandable from a cultural perspective). Most people were either accepting but disinterested or really cool and positive about it. I don't know if my boyfriend has told any of his mates that I'm bi or that I've been with women while we've been together, I know them as we have been out in groups before and I kinda feel like it isn't my place to say so I never have, I don't know if he'd be embarrassed or not. I'm not sure exactly how much men talk about their sex lives with mates.... It's one of the things he said always sticks in my mind, that he doesn't have an issue with it and is happy for me so long as it doesn't affect us. But something like that being public knowledge could affect us, so that is a slight fear of mine too. Even though I know it is none of anybody else's business.