1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you religious?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by IrishLad93, Sep 8, 2012.

1. KillTheLights

I believe in God. Not really religious though.

2. Erik23

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Jesus was very clear - love thy neighbor. That sums it all up.

3. Fiddledeedee

Agree. Agree. Agree, potentially disagree -- I'm not Catholic.

Agree -- though I wouldn't call Catholicism a whole separate faith to Christianity given that it is a subgroup in it.
    I have no idea what this means -- What stance is ignoring half the Bible? Using birth control? --, agree.

4. Rygirl

I'm a Christian Witch.
    My University Christian Union was there for me at a time when I was quite literally ready to put a knife to my wrist, they saved my life.

5. Mai Hasegawa

For me, religion is a challenge. I try to be a tolerant person, yet treating religious people seriously is sometimes difficult for me. Of course, I don't convince people to become atheist, at least when they don't convince me to start going to church. I just can't contain how modern people can believe in these whole systems of fables and magic. Mysterious force guiding the universe? Ok, cool. No problem with that. But believing in an old guy with no gender who's both infinitely merciful and cruel, who can never be wrong, but inspires writing a book that's full contradiction? I don't think so. I can respect modern christians trying to create lite version of their religion with belief that most of it is man-made, but still it seems to me like making Harry Potter less fantasy-like to be able to believe in him. Of course, I remember that christianity is not the only religion. I have some knowledge about other popular beliefs and unfortunately I find them equally absurd. I guess it's human need to rely on something mysterious.

6. Lacuna

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ^I have similar views on the subject. I was raised as a Christian for most of my childhood and kind of shifted towards Atheism when I was 13. It was mostly science and prejudice that made me stop believing in God, and I often look back at things and I think 'Why do people think that, when this...', but the whole idea of where everything began scares me.

7. IrishLad93

I completely agree

8. Bebop

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm agnostic so no not religious, if I was to take up a religion though it would be Buddhism.

9. burg

im not religious at all but i do have a massive respect for Quakers and hold many of their principle's in fact most people do with out knowing their origin.they don't believe in using violence.freedom of speech was originally a Quaker con stuck and freedom of religion .they don't believe in preaching even in their meetings(so they sit and contemplate during meeting).or that one man is closer to god than another.they don't believe in set doctrines or believe they have a monopoly on the truth.very early proponents of ending slavery.women's rights .and gay rights .

10. Pat

Pat

I have an extremely good understanding of the bible. However, I don't consider myself to be extremely religious. It's where my conscience and my values come from, so I adore that part of my life, it helped me become who I am. The fact that i've been a religious person actually helps me stifle religious interactions with others. lol. My strength in the topic lets me kind of weed out people's BS if they try to "preach" to me.

11. DanD

Both my parents are Jehova's Witnesses, and Dad goes out most days knocking on doors 'trying to convert' other people into what he believes.

Being one of 15 children to the same parents, I've never experienced a birthday party or Christmas due to their beliefs - they say that it's much better to celebrate your death than your birthday - WTF! How can I do that? This has led to having zero friends for most of us.

They may not be the same as others in their religion, but it's apparent to me, and the rest of my family, that they go out of their way to help other people of the same religion, but put us 'their children' to the bottom of the pile.

None of us feel loved, and the atmosphere whenever I visit is awful, constant put downs and negative communication all round which is just... well... you only live once, so, why not try and be positive and congratulate/celebrate achievements?

I could go on and make everyone here cry with sympathy, but you can't change the past. My line of thinking is that most religions are homophobic, and cast us directly to hell, whatever that is. My parents have said that all Gay people should be lined up and shot - nice words to hear from the people who should shower their children with love.

Sometimes, when they start trying to convert me, I do try to defend what I think. They say that a new kingdom is currently being built above the clouds for the chosen few, and when I point out that aeroplanes would have crashed into it, and than the bricks would have fallen downwards due to gravity, they change the subject saying that 'spirits' have confirmed it's all true - nice scientific factual evidence right there!

I've tried to move away, but it's too expensive, so have to put up with all the crap - I just wish they wouldn't put 100% of their eggs in to one basket that couldn't be proven one way or the other, while ignoring LIFE.

12. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a devout atheist.

13. Pat

Pat

We all can have different experiences. The important thing to remember is that their religion doesn't necessarily make them who they are. They are still imperfect and entitled to perception of what it is they are learning. My family are all Jehovah's Witnesses. My mother is also. I can say that I never did the birthday thing or holidays, but my Mom and family found ways to have fun. I was never the gathering type with other members of congregations. Mostly because I know i'm different in this regard but I never came across someone who was judgmental. Everyone i've ever known within my religion was friendly to me. I mean, I can usually tell the more zealous ones are just beginning and they feel really good about what they are learning in the bible and it kind of leads them to a more judgmental feel from the standpoint of.. "this stuff is great! How could anyone not want to know this or pursue it" -- Just like to put that out there since we're non judgmental peeps here. You don't have to feel defensive, you just tell them you're not interested and that's it if you're ever approached. My mom does still want me to go to meetings but I'm not focused on it right now, i want to live my life and figure things out for myself. If you weren't introduced to the religion with them, I can totally see how it all seems like a cruel concept. It's been easier for me to come out as gay because I put the level of hate or whatever in the same category as when I was identified as a Jehovah's witness. Really sorry to hear about your experience so far! And I hope you can find the happiness in your life that you would prefer to have.

14. Linthras

Linthras Guest

With all due respect your analogy is flawed.
    Amon's supporters wanted to remove bending because it gave part of the population an unequal advantage in power. Benders could and occasion did oppress people with their power.

15. kinison84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm perplexed because how can we as a community really be objective about religion when we've been told our whole lives that we're going to hell and who we love is a sin? I think our community has the most clarity on the subject of religion because we're the only group that's persecuted and condemned by it. I just can't associate myself with an organization that hates me. Now, I know that may sound close minded to some people because not all religious people believe we're doomed to eternal damnation but It's just hard for me to accept a God who by and large isn't looking out for me. Whether a God really exists or not we won't know until we go but the book is against us and so are most of its followers. It's also difficult when people use their religion to discriminate against by trying to pass legislation to hurt us too. I feel uncorrupted believing there is no God and we're on the right side of history by rejecting these adult fairytales that have no basis in reality whatsoever. It's just unfair because didn't have much choice in the manner. We were all but forced to pick a side since birth.

16. Greendalehumans

I'm a Christian :slight_smile:

17. Luke Matt

Nop.

I'm atheist/agnostic.

18. silentdr3am3r

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I guess I'm the first on this thread to say that yes, I am quite religious. I am a Christian, and I firmly believe in the teachings of my church. That goes to say, however, that no, I do not completely agree with what the Bible says about homosexuality. In my particular church, gay people are accepted as Children of God and are not to be subjected to "being turned straight" or "praying away the gay". Unfortunately, my disagreement lies in the doctrine that we are forbidden to be in same sex relationships. There are many out people in my church who have chosen to live the life of celibacy yet are completely transparent in their natural disposition of being homosexual.

I do admit, I have many things to figure out in my life, but some things do hold firm with my beliefs. I do believe in God as I believe that the world is too complex to have been formed out of randomness. The people who I have met in my church are some of the most kind-hearted, tolerant, nurturing, accepting people I've ever met in my life. Despite the shortcomings of others, I've never seen people who truly follow the ultimate doctrine of Christianity which is love comes first. Not only do they believe that we are all sinners, they treat each other and those outside of the church no better or worse than they would treat someone they loved. There are a lot of things which are not perfect about modern religion, as I believe along the way of history, the corruption of wicked men throughout history has separated the exhibition of true faith from statement of one's religion. I am not a perfect person, and I do not believe I am a better person for being a Christian, but what I do know is that the good teachings of Christianity has shaped me to be the person I am. I've seen it completely change my belligerent abusive father to a father that I love with all my heart.

There are many reasons in our world today that shows how religion has deterred so many people from taking part in religion, but in my opinion I've found the closest church to truly practice the loving doctrines of Jesus Christ. That's why I still firmly believe in God and my religion. It's because despite the general label of "bigoted Christians" are stamped on every devout Christian out there, I've found people who truly follow what it means to be a true Christian - to live with love and let only God be the judge of us.

19. Hard Candy

Hard Candy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I believe in God, and I want a close spiritual relationship with Him. I don't categorize myself in any religion though, I think they are more like titles (no offense to anyone).

20. Olivier

I'm gay and I have strong religious views, I don't entirely believe in what the bible says but I have a strong connection and belief for god:slight_smile: its nice to have someone who will always be there for u in my opinion, someone who will always love and never judge you. I'm more spiritual then religious to be honest, as are a lot of gays I'm assuming:slight_smile: