1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apps & married guys

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by SiennaFire, Sep 7, 2016.

1. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find myself increasingly dissatisfied with the quality of my interactions with heterosexually married guys on the apps, such that I'm seriously thinking about making a rule of saying no thank you to the married guys.

Part of me sees this as an important personal milestone of moving forward and getting on with my life. At the same time I feel that I'm being insensitive to guys who are in a situation that I found myself in not so long ago, except of course that I've come out and started to live authentically.

Has anyone else had this experience?

#1 SiennaFire, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  2. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm assuming you mean heterosexually married guys; there's a lot of SSM guys on there too. I mostly won't get involved with the former (I'm not interested in being in the closet again myself), but I sometimes get involved with the latter, depending on circumstances.

#2 Weston, Sep 7, 2016
  3. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Siennafire

Great timing for this thread for me. I AM the married guy. But, I am out to my wife and not afraid to get "caught" by anyone else.

It turns out, even though I am one, I am not interested in these guys for intimacy. The hiding, the guilt, the lack of available time is just not worth it. My intimate friends (and potential intimate friends) are either guys out to their wives, as I am, or they are partnered or single gay men. In either case, when I see one of them on the street I will at least hug and sometimes kiss them. And, I am fine with my straight friends seeing me hang out with them.

Funny thing is that it is almost a moot point. Married guys just don't respond to my profile part of which reads "not out not hiding". I think that scares them away! Plus, I will not be intimate (except for once with my now good friend) on the first encounter.

That said, I have one friend, I met on an app, who I do spend time with who is struggling to come out to his wife. No more intimacy until he does this!

4. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I apologize if i'm being a bit hard here, but here are my two cents:

There is no excuse for cheating. And, when it occurs, both parts are wrong: The married person and the other person, who knows the first is married.

If the wife is fine with it, then that's ok, for sure (by definition, that wouldn't be cheating).

However, frequently, that's not the case. Personally, i don't want to be involved with cheating, and, therefore, i don't get involved with people already in a relationship. And i do recommend you try to find single people, not married people. I'm not sure if that's the case, but this line of thought of "i'm not married, so i'm not cheating, it's their problem, not mine" is simply wrong. If you know that the other part is married and hiding this from their SO, then you are agreeing to make cheating possible in that case.

In any angle, cheating is not worth it. In this case, is it worth it to be the "secondary person" in the relationship? The one that needs to be hidden? I don't think so. As you said yourself:

Again, i personally prefer to pursue legitimate relationships with people that aren't cheating on their partners. Even if you are looking for a hook up or something not so serious, i still strongly recommend you don't get involved with cheating: Seek another single person.

I totally support your decision of saying "no, thank you" to the married guys.

5. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been thinking about this topic lately. I'm just a few months away from divorce and being in my own place. I'll be looking to begin dating then. For me, I think it might depend upon what I'm looking for. If it's just a hookup, it may not really matter if the guy is married, closeted, etc.

If I'm looking for a real relationship, though, and I know that the married guy (regardless of whether he is out to his wife or not) isn't really available for something more than hookup or FWB, then what's the point? I don't really want to fall for a guy who is unavailable, so why even begin there?

Lots to think about as I move closer to my goal.

6. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks Weston. Yes I meant heterosexually married guys and was able to edit my post within the 15 minute window. I've also encountered married/partnered gay men who have an open relationship, and they are generally fine.

7. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Chiroptera

I couldn't cheat on my wife, so I didn't. But, my friend's situation is unique as, I am sure, many other married men's are. So, I will not pass that sort of judgement on anyone. When I was young, I, too, saw things so black and white. At my age, I am learning there are gray areas. But, it doesn't mean I want to be part of the drama.

8. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly!

9. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry if my post seemed too simplistic. Of course, coming out after being married is much, much harder. You, and many others that come out to their wives/husbands are really, really brave, and i understand that it is a really hard situation to be in.

However, it may seem radical (or peraphs i am radical about this particular subject), but, unless it is an open relationship, then there isn't an excuse for cheating. You didn't cheat on your wife, and you were totally right. A relationship is based on communication and, as much as it is hard to come out while in an relationship, communication is required. Otherwise, things risk getting much more complicated.

When you enter a close relationship, you have chosen to promise to be faithful. When you cheat, you are breaking that promise. Again, maybe i'm radical, but i don't see how there could be a grey area in cheating.

I'm not trying to judge people. Cheating is a choice. I know a lot of good people (and good friends) that cheated (or helped with cheating by getting involved with married people). However, i feel that about this particular subject, they are wrong. And i say this because i know they can damage themselves while doing this. Cheating isn't good for anyone involved, and that's why i'm so emphatic on not recommending it.

Now, again, i'm saying this based on a closed relationship. Open relationships are different, based on the decisions of the couple.

10. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Chiroptera

Here is an example..

Married 25 years
    No sex for years
    Disabled adult sibling that requires care in house
    Wife suffers from MS and depression

Would you come out to that wife and live an authentic gay life or would you maybe get a little love on the side? There are all forms and types of family situations that may require some "cheating" as you say for a guy (or woman) to exercise a basic human need for sexuality.

If the guy is just afraid and putting his wife at risk of disease maybe that's different. That's the guy I would have been and cheating was wrong for ME.

#10 Nickw, Sep 7, 2016
  11. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With all due respect, i disagree with you.

I can totally see that the situation you mentioned would be extremely complicated. I also understand the need for sex, as i'm not asexual.

However, is it right to cheat on your wife because of that need? Wouldn't it be better (not easier, but better) to talk to her and explain everything? Of course, especially in that case, it would be extremely hard to do it. There would be confrontation. Peraphs, therapy (for couples or not) would be recommended to mitigate the problems if intense discussions are happening. However, i think that would be better than breaking the "marriage contract" and cheating behind the back of someone that loves you (especially if you too love that person, even if without the sexual attraction).

In the long term, the damage is much greater than with honest communication. In that case, imagine what would happen when the wife/family finds out that the husband was cheating? I'm pretty sure that, in most cases, the problems would be much worse. Not only because of the coming out confrontation that would happen in most cases, but because the husband was lying to her (and the family) and breaking her trust. There are no grey areas in these cases. You are betraying someone important for you (not to mention the damage that this decision may cause).

But, again, i'm not saying that people who cheat are bad people. I'm saying that i disagree with their actions about this particular subject. I'm saying it isn't worth it, and there is no excuse for cheating. I'm sorry, but i can't see any grey areas here. Cheating causes much damage to anyone involved, much more than the "damage" that honest conversation would cause.

I apologize if i'm deviating from the main subject here. About interacting with married guys in apps, as i said, i'm totally against it (unless it is an open relationship). Not only you are helping with cheating (that may cause many problems to the couple in question), but the quality of these interactions are secondary and may be harmful to you too, not only to the couple involved.

Considering everything, if you are married, the best thing to do is to be honest with your significant other, as much as it is hard. The damage cause by cheating in the long term can be much worse.

If you are single, it is best to avoid all these complications and seek other single people. Like the OP said, the quality of these interactions aren't great. There are too many complications. In resume: It is simply not worth it.

12. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Chiroptera clearly has very strong opinions about cheating, which while great fodder for a thread hijack are really secondary in my decision process. While I agree that it would be better not to enable cheating, the side effects of the cheating are what's driving my decision.

More important to me is the quality of the interactions, which is decreased because of the sneaking around associated with the act of cheating as well as interacting with someone who is in the closet and not totally comfortable with his sexuality. There are so many side effects of being in the closet, and I want to stay clear of this since I've worked so hard to get out of the closet.

PS - My BF and I broke up a few weeks ago, so I'm not looking for a relationship right now. I'm still figuring out what I need right now, which is probably closer to a FWB.

#12 SiennaFire, Sep 7, 2016
  13. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're not satisfied with the quality of certain type of interactions (from e.g. heterosexually married guys), then you can just adjust your profile accordingly. =] I mean, you're not really looking forward to get in contact with heterosexually married guys, so it would both help you and the other person (potentially) if you include a "no thanks to heterosexually married guys".

Although not really relevant for you, SiennaFire, I share Chiroptera's views as well. It's not up to me why you would even consider married guys in the first place - you are free to do so - but I think it's better to include something in your profile(s) if you no longer wish to make use of these kind of contacts. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Quem

14. CameOutSwinging

So, I have a few comments.

First, I can relate to your search for a FWB. I think that might be what I should be looking for right now too. While I want somebody in general, things are still just way too fresh (and ongoing) with the breakup from my ex "wife" and so getting into something serious just isn't the right call. Maybe something that is dating but casual? I do have my roommates as FWBs sexually, but honestly I'm finding times where I'd love to just have somebody to cuddle with and watch some TV with, and they're not ever going to fulfill that desire (they're a couple, it's different). I think you're making the right call with what you're looking for.

Second, in regards to guys who are in straight relationships, I've been on both sides of that coin. In my first relationship, my girlfriend knew I was sleeping with guys. We were open in that regard. I came across a few guys who were married and doing this behind their significant other's back, one I particularly remember well. It didn't feel like a big deal at the time to me (maybe because it didn't get that far) but I remember him being the first guy I wanted to become friends with outside of the bedroom, like actual friends. I probably had a crush on him and didn't realize, but that's another story. Anyway, we couldn't be friends, because he thought his wife would find it weird if this new guy friend was coming around. I felt like that was almost unfair in a way, because I could have brought him around my girlfriend and not only have had it be fine, but she would have even known that we were hooking up. I liked the honesty that we had. That's ultimately not what stopped me from seeing him (my breakup did...I deleted the email account we kept in contact through, because I thought my girlfriend would see me giving up hookups as a sign of change, even if in hindsight she said it never bothered her).

But then when I got into my most recent relationship, I became the one sleeping with guys without her permission. There was one guy who had a boyfriend while we were hooking up, which interestingly enough did bother me a little (not enough to stop seeing him, but I just didn't get it...you have a man, and guys are supposed to be more open about sex, or something...I don't know, I definitely just felt like it was weird and more like cheating. Probably says something about my thought process. Maybe because it was like well I do this because my girl doesn't have the parts I desire, and your significant other does so...) I hooked up with another guy who also had a girlfriend, and she didn't know either, and that didn't bother me as much.

The point that I'm at now, where I'm not looking for JUST sexual hookups, I wouldn't at all consider meeting with a guy in a non-open relationship. I'd consider a guy in an open relationship, be it with a man or woman, or a guy that is poly (actually talking to a poly guy now) but not somebody who isn't being open. Part of that too is I'm trying to be more open. My dating site profile clearly states my relationship with my roommates and makes clear that I'm not looking to give it up anytime soon. I'm sure it scares some guys away, but it's better to be honest now versus getting to like somebody and then just continuing to sleep with my friends behind somebody's back.

Sorry to hear about you and your BF, Sienna.

15. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I'm more concerned about the idea of dating someone who is closeted. That would likely, of course, include heterosexually married guys. Now that I'm out, it's hard to imagine myself wanting to have any part of being with a closeted guy.

BTW, I am one of those heterosexually married guys who didn't cheat.

16. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Sienna

Sorry to hear about your BF. I agree with you and others that hiding in the closet with someone feels like a step backwards.

17. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry if my post seemed to deviate from the main topic here.

But, anyway, what i was trying to say includes what you just said, about the quality of interations and the sneaking around involved.

Even if you are just looking for a FWB, i think you would be better without dealing with married guys. Without touching in my opinion again (which i've made clear), as you said yourself:
    I agree with you. It isn't worth it, considering these side effects and the problems involved.

In a more practical way, i'll echo what Quem said:

Again, i'm sorry if my post seemed a little confusing or harsh. I just think it is important to reinforce those things, but, again, regardless of my personal opinion, if the quality of these interactions are decreasing, it is a pretty strong sign that it may not be a good idea to continue those interactions.

18. mangotree

It feels like some people draw a distinction between a man cheating on his wife with another woman Vs a man cheating on his wife with another man.
    Somehow suggesting that same-sex-attracted-closeted-cheating is somehow more acceptable than other forms of cheating.
    I personally feel like they are both equally deceiving.

I agree with most of what Chiroptera has said.

19. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks Chiroptera, Quem, et al.

The big issue for me was contained in the second paragraph of my post, namely, to give myself permission to end contact with married guys, which is a complicated and nuanced form of grieving for someone who used to be married and in the closet.

20. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Siennafire

Interesting you used the word "grieving" when you describe how you feel about the old you. Do you sometimes miss that? Or, is the grief not for you but for that old you.

I feel a little of both, I suppose, for what I was before. And, this does make me strangely uncomfortable around other married men who are not out to their wives. Yet, I should happily be a confidant.

#20 Nickw, Sep 7, 2016