1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any other queer vegans/vegetarians?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by queerunity, Oct 9, 2008.

1. ppreston9

ppreston9 Guest

whats the difference between a vegan and a vegetarian?

2. awesomeap88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Let's see if I learnt something in those health lessons back in high school.....

As you know, a vegetarian is someone that doesn't eat meat. There are a number of different types of vegetarian and vegan is one of them.

• Lacto-ovo vegetarians will still eat eggs and milk products.
    • Lacto vegetarians will still eat milk products but not eggs. Likewise, ovo vegetarians still eat eggs but not milk products.
    • Vegans don't eat any form of animal products.
    I'm sure there are probably more types of vegetarians out there, but these are the basic ones that I remember.

I hope that helps.

3. jazzyspazzy

jazzyspazzy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I am a bisexual pescitarian (eat fish but not meat) but I'm trying to eat less fish at the moment.

4. Bryan

I am a Vegetarian, but I also wont wear any animal by-products (i.e.:fur and leather). I am a big animal rights activist. I am a member of the HSUS and Peta. In general I just find meat repulsive, and if I were to consume it by accident, I would get really sick.

I would love to talk to any other veggies out there!

5. AtticusFinch

I'm not a vegetarian, but I respect those who are and I wouldn't mind being one. I enjoy some meat sometimes, though I don't like large quantities of it at once (that kinda disgusts me) and I don't like eating a lot of fatty meats like beef or pork. I really like fish! My favorite meal is grilled salmon with rice and broccoli.

I would like to try being a vegetarian some time, but never a vegan. I like my cheese, milk, and yogurt too much. Yogurt is really good for you and it helps keep your digestive system balanced. In fact, it is just an all-around miracle food: good as a snack, with granola, with fruit, for lunch, with cereal, all sorts of things. I eat it almost every day.

This boy that I'm really interested in is a vegan which I think is cool and I'm glad it works for him, but I wonder if it would ever come between us. I don't want him to judge me for not being a vegan. I want to eat with him sometime, but that makes oging out to eat almost impossible. Maybe I'll just have him cook and I can eat what he wants. It would certainly be a learning lesson for me.

Anyway, that's my two cents...

6. Trumpetplyer23

I'm not a vegetarian. I was raised in a house where meat was a main part of the meal. At my house it's meat and veggies all the time.

However, I do respect those who are vegetarian, because vegetarianism is pretty cool. I once considered becoming a vegetarian. However, I don't have the will or the mind power to overcome the entire 'meat eater cycle'. Plus, I like meat too much, haha.

I eat very little dairy products, though. My mother has a severe allergic reaction to anything with whey protein in it. It's not lactose intolerance, though. It's a severe allergy. So, at my house we eat soy cheese, drink soy milk, use/eat soy butter, and drink soy eggnog. I've adjusted well, but I still eat things like Cheetos or cheddar Goldfish.

7. Iceeh

I'm trying to go veggie, but it's pretty hard. I've given up beef and pork, and now I'm attempting to give up poultry and just stick with seafood. It's tough, but I'm sloowwlyyy getting there! ^^

8. ElizabethAnne

Ha ha, this is cool to see so many other vegetarian/vegans.
    I'm a vegetarian (except for when it's really insulting to people not to be, such as when my grandma spent all day cooking me a delicious beef stew, and she didn't know I was vegetarian). I don't think I'll ever be completely vegan, but I've stopped buying milk, although I will still drink/eat stuff with milk in it.

I became vegetarian in July, and I'm still finding it hard to add variety to my diet without meat. Frankly, I'm SICK of beans and lentils and tofu! Any suggestions?

9. cjtom

cjtom Guest

*raises hand*

Another gay vegetarian here dudes and dudettes!

I struggled with what to eat at first too but now I eat pizza practically every other day and lovely lovely Quorn :slight_smile:

10. Dazed

Dazed Guest

you would be shocked to know that humans were not built to eat meat.
    some facts to point this out are..
    Stomach acidity. Carnivores’ stomachs are 20x more acidic than the stomachs of herbivores. Human stomach acidity matches that of herbivores.
    Claws and teeth. Carnivores have claws, sharp front teeth capable of subduing prey, and no flat molars for chewing. Herbivores have no claws or sharp front teeth capable of subduing prey, but they have flat molars for chewing. Humans have the same characteristics as herbivores.

so the way humans are made they should eat meat. the only reason i can see that we ever started was survive(sp?) when we were caveman and nomads.

oh and ive been a vegetarian for 5 years now.slowly working on getting rid of milk from my diet.

11. Kid Quasar

I know this may sound a little off, but most veggies make me vomit. I don't know why >.>. Now, if there was such things as a fruititarian :grin:

12. Yijaipo

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    mmmm Fruit. well I'm not a vegetarian we where actually built as an omnivore... not a herbivore or carnivore. that is why we still have canine teeth and bladed front teeth to cut meat up. yet we have molars to chew up plants. the acidity of an animal has nothing to do with it. its the enzymes that are used to digest a certain compound like for example Protein found in meat the enzyme is protease also Bromelain and papain
    Bromelain is found in Pineapple which helps digest proteins of all sorts

~~Daku~~ The Trauma Nurse <3

13. Dazed

Dazed Guest

you could eat all fruit :] i dont really eat alot of healthy food. i eat way to many carbs. i love on pasta and junk food. not the best way to live. when i move out i plan to go vegan. but im not eating anything besides friuts and veggies

14. XXX Lou XXX

I’ve been a vegetarian since last february. The only reason I turned veggie is because I got really bad food poisoning from some McDonalds chicken and have been kind of scared of eating meat ever since. Before I was a vegetarian the only meat I ever ate was chicken/ turkey so it wasn’t hard giving up. It’s gonna be hard because it’s my first christmas as a veggie, and my family are gonna be pretty pissed off because my mum makes a big effort cooking christmas dinner. Oh well, I leave next year (hopefully), so at least it will be easier being a vegetarian! :grin:

15. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most people would consider fish to be meat. But I'm sure you have your reasons. Just pointing that out. :slight_smile:

16. thebikelady

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The company Quorn makes an awesome "turkey" log/roll/thing. Comes packed like a big sausage and you just slice, heat and it. super yummy.

17. summersforecast

it would be wise to slow down on fish intake otherwise you will end up with to much mercury in your system.

18. Gumtree

The mercury scandal is only really significant in fish FARMS in northern Africa and west Asia.

Most fish beyond supermarket deli quality are not imported from these places and are safer to eat.

What's more worrying then the heavy metal poisoning is the fish that were being accidently pumped by antibiotic waste, which were becoming resistant to antibiotics and effecting humans that ate them in the same way.

19. zoeee

yesss! me:slight_smile: I have been a vegetarian for 10 years...and I am still alive haha :grin: No, really, I love being a vegetarian. Okay, have to admit, sometimes, at Maccas or whatever I wish I had more food to choose from than jsut chips and a salad but in general it feels so good not to eat dead animals. I do not eat fish...but I make an exception for gummi bears and any other sweets which contain gelatine...just can't live withous sweets haha :wink: And seriously, vegies are just so yummmm. I had this phase where I wouldn't even want to touch leather because it was coming from an animal (a dead one xD) but I got over it...still, I only have very few pairs of shoes made out of leather and I don't think anything else. And no real fur.

20. nickj

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know if i'm necro'ing this thread or not.

I just feel the need to address the "humans meant to eat strictly veggies" posts that i've been reading.

It's a common scientific conclusion that the appendix (an organ no longer used in the body) was once a functioning organ that allowed raw meat to be processed by our bodies. this goes back to evolution...this organ is being fazed out because through invention humans harnessed fire and eliminated those toxins and diseases in the meat through direct flame.

The thing about the teeth and claws of carnivores can't be applied to humans. As a part of evolution, and the continual cycle of human beings gaining technological advantage, we have fazed out the need for claws and excessive number of Canine teeth. We dont need claws because we created tools as early as cromagnon nomad-hood. We didnt need the extra canines because we were no longer tearing through tough hides and rough skin with our bear mouths.

And as for stomach acid, it has changed because of the dietary enrichment humans have as apposed to wild carnivores. because we consume larger quantities of veggies our stomach acid strength becomes diluted. Take for instance the acidity of a long term atkins diet participant. Their stomach acid, in clinical trials of diet effectiveness has been known to increase by as much as 4-7%. Imagine this for a prolonged period of time...say...30 years....or more appropriately...millions of years back...you can see how it has digressed.