1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any other queer vegans/vegetarians?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by queerunity, Oct 9, 2008.

1. queerunity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Does anyone else besides me find a strong link between animal rights and queer rights? I see it as two populations who often cannot speak up for themselves. Now clearly animals can't speak, but many times gay voices are also shunned.

I wrote an article about the whole intersection between the movements, I obviously got heat for it but I find it interesting.
    http://queersunited.blogspot.com/2008/06/intersection-between-animal-liberation.html

2. Apocalypte

I was a vegetarian for 2 years when I was in my late teens, but I found that I couldn't maintain a healthy diet and get all the nutrients I needed. I didn't have any specific reasoning behind going veggie, it was more to prove to myself that I could do it. I'm a happy omnivore now, but I respect all those who can keep a healthy veg*n diet, and reading about veg*n athletes is something that fascinates me as I was competing for my university in taekwondo when I was veggie.

3. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

I can't be a vegetarian/vegan at home because my parents have meat with pretty much every meal and I have to eat it but as soon as I leave home I'm going to give it a shot

4. sexyalex

i am vegetarian too. I just don't eat vegtarian when i am away from home. But at home i am strict vegetarian. Once i am at school, that diet is broken with poultry. But i don't eat pork, mutton, fish or beef.

5. GuitarGirl1350

Vegetarian for 8 years now!

6. SRSLYMARK

Vegetarian for about a year and a half. :slight_smile: Never been happier, and never been healthier! All through middle school I was chubby, but vegetarianism brought my BMI down to an appropriate level and my high blood pressure was alleviated. Best decision I've ever made in my entire life, no doubt about it.

However, I did develop anemia for a while cause I wasn't eating enough green vegetables, but I got on a multivitamin and I'm stable again. :slight_smile:

7. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't live on veggies... no matter how hard I try, they just don't taste good :frowning2: I should eat more, but...

Any suggestions on how to make them look more appealing?

8. Julien

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am vegetarian and one of my QSA friends (an extremely out queer guy) is also vegetarian.

9. Nugget

I just try all kinds of different meals with veggies because it makes me feel refined and cool. XD I'm not a vegitarian, though. I couldn't possibly live without poultry and seafood (but I can live without red meat).

10. Vampyrecat

I'm a vego! Love the green leafy stuff!
    I just don't like the taste of meat and I have never once liked seafood. So I just stopped eating meat altogether.
    I eat lots of eggs, and dairy products, love my tofu, love my legumes and rice. MMMMmmm. Yummo!

My favourite vegetarian food is the Vegie Gung Ho Box from Noodle Box. OMG it's orgasmic vegetarian food.

11. Jinx

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I am Vegan. I went vegetarian when I was 15 and then went vegan in August of 2007. I do it mainly for ethical reasons, but also for health and the enviroment.

12. Alex768

I've been vegetarian for four years, and I have never been healthier. I haven't eaten red meat in ten years; so it was very easy to make the change. Overall, I'm extremely happy with it.

13. STK

STK Guest

It's not natural to be vegetarian. Humans are omnivores. But that's your choice.

Meat is awesome. But so is fruit/vegetables.

*waits for the drama to ensue*

14. Mick

Mick Guest

I considered going vegitarian/vegan years ago. One of my ex-girlfriends was a vegan.

15. STK

STK Guest

Looking back I think I phrased my post a little bit harshly.

Animal rights and gay rights are two completely different things. I don't agree with animal rights. Animal welfare I agree with. It's not my concern how my food was killed htough.

16. Jim1454

No - I don't really see any connection...

You could lump the poor, the starving in Africa, and all kinds of disadvantaged groups into the same situation. The thing is - people actually CAN talk. They just may not be heard by the people that could help their cause.

Animals on the other hand, can't talk because, well, they're animals.

While we're on the topic though... does it really make a difference how the animal is killed? (someone referred to chickens.) If someone very humanely killed them, or they remained tasty after dying of natural causes, would you then be OK eating meat? It seems to be that we've been eating animals pretty much from the beginning of time. Has it always been wrong? Or would it be OK if we were still living in caves? Or tents? Or log houses out on the prairie? The fact is that much like all other things we consume in 'Western' society, it's done in large quantities because that's the most effecient way to do it.

17. Alex768

Humans are omnivores, but they lean towards herbivores: we have alkaline saliva as oppose to the acidic saliva of carnivore. If you've ever looked inside the mouth of a cat, you would see that their teeth are quite a bit more jagged. Ever wonder why humans don't eat raw meat like other omnivores? We have to cook our meat to avoid being revolted by it. Humans are omnivorous yes, but we lean more toward the herbivore side of the spectrum.

18. Cheese Love

Both are very important to me.

I've been a vegetarian for three years :]

19. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Whether it is "natural" or not is irrelevant. We have the ability, as humans, to exercise our knowledge of the damage being an omnivore has on our environment, our ethic climate and our health.

On what premises are you basing that it is "not natural" to eat exclusively vegetables?

20. HalfInsane

I've been vegetarian for almost two years now.