1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All the emotions today.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by NeonSocks, Jul 20, 2017.

1. NeonSocks

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Today's emotion is guilt. Never ending guilt. All consuming guilt.

After months of watching my relationship slowly and excruciatingly deteriorate, my partner and I have entered a new phase. We seem to have just swept everything under this imaginary rug of denial and pretend that nothing ever changed between us. But things did change and things will continue to change. I cannot force this process to proceed at a pace we are not ready for, but at the same time we cannot stop here.

I won't pretend to know what he is feeling or what his thoughts are, but judging by his actions he seems invested in our relationship again. Like the thought of our time together ending has him scared and willingly going the extra mile, after months of negligence, to truly put the work into making us a better couple.

And then here comes the guilt. I am one to two steps ahead of him in this process in that I am starting to accept that I am not straight. I am coming to terms with myself. And on days like this, I begin to think of who I really am and all the things I want for myself. Simple things, really. I want to live in the mountains. I want a dog. I want a Christmas tree and someone to decorate it with. I want the relationship I have now to never end, but I want to be fulfilled by it in ways that I may never be. I want to get my life sorted out.

We have continued to talk about all of this and again we keep coming to the same conclusion; just give it some more time and see how it all shakes out. But with more time comes more guilt. Guilt because I cannot make my head and heart agree. Guilt because I know in the end we will probably both be hurt. Guilt because seeing him happy hurts a part of me I am not willing to face.

On we go.

OED27x likes this.
  2. junebug99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Time can't always heal the wounds of a Rocky relationship. The more time spent together trying to mend them may end up being wasted. Life is too short to stay in a relationship that may never be as fulfilling as you want or need it to be. I'm sure that all of us here that are still married need to ask ourselves if it's worth it to stay or go? I know I'm asking myself that question. I can't afford to live on my own. But like you I know I'm not straight. And I don't want to hurt him. Even though he has hurt me. In a way that I can't explain. Ask yourself this, will I be happy if I stay? Because your happiness counts too. There will be pain and tears. But time will heal the pain.
    Just some words for thought. Take care.

#62 junebug99, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    NeonSocks likes this.
  3. Leela80

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is exactly how I feel most of the time. Something inside me keeps reining me back in.

NeonSocks and junebug99 like this.
  4. NeonSocks

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is the question I run from every day, but I am learning to face it in time.

Leela80 and junebug99 like this.
  5. OED27x

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Guilt is painful. Time lessens it.

Take comfort that you are not being malicious. You are simply following your soul.

Honor your relationship and the moments and memories you shared. The memories will always be there. Even if the relationship ends.

Leela80, Imjustjulien and NeonSocks like this.
  6. NeonSocks

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is what I need to keep reminding myself. There are days when it all feels so overwhelming, but the each day is getting clearer. Each day I seem to know myself a little better and each day I seem to understand a little more that my life belongs to me. There is something pulling me in this direction and taking the time to listen and not run is something I am trying to get better at. Baby steps.

Leela80, Imjustjulien and OED27x like this.
  7. Searching1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is exactly it. Spot on. You are where I was a month or two ago.. I know it is so so hard. There will be periods of time he or both of you go into phases of denial to protect yourselves or just create a little mini realm of "normal". But that push to continue, the internal desire to keep along that path; it is strong. Whenever my husband acted like things were normal I felt incredibly guilty and I also felt this very strong need to keep bringing things up. Things finally hit a point a months or so back where there was no more denying it and we were at the crossroads of our relationship. Since then he has accepted what is happening and we both can we just aren't going to work.

Follow your gut and don't suppress anything. However like you said, don't force things to go faster than comfortable for either of you. Watching your marriage dissentrigrate is absolutely tragic. It's an acclimation process that takes time.

As always I relate to your story so much. Hang in there and try and not be too hard on yourself. I know it's easier said than done. I just wish I didn't make myself insane and sick during that very stressful period.

leb10, Imjustjulien and NeonSocks like this.
  8. NeonSocks

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is not so much an update as a general plea to the universe and who ever is controlling it:

Enough. I am tired. You win.

And even typing that I feel foolish knowing that today my struggles seem so large while I have so many luxuries others do not. I have decent health and a place to call home. I have a family and friends. But today I am tired. Today I am worn down by this journey and life's other stresses. I know my problems are miniscule compared to the universe, but they are mine. And today I have had enough.

So allow me this final plea to the universe: May we all find the peace we are seeking.

9. Leela80

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm right there with you Neonsocks. On my bad days I try to remember things won't always feel this hopeless. Tomorrow is a new day! Hugs to you

10. Searching1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh I so so get it. I have so many days that I am just beyond DONE. We can't stay in limbo forever. At some point we have to make some sort of decision to get resolution. It has been several months and I am so tired of being in this crisis. Just sick of it. I'm so sorry you're having a rough day and are also so destroyed by all of this. Believe me, I am right there with you. It was my first days of being in that state that I decided it was time to take next steps to get some answers. Hang in there ❤️

11. Moonsparkle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do think that the state of limbo can be one of the most painful of all. Limbo is so all encompassing and overwhelming. Especially in choices of should I stay or should I go. Especially when each choice will yield a painful outcome in some way. Limbo seems to be safe in a way but in reality has an 'eat us alive' quality about. Facing a major stay or go choice regarding my relationship within the past year, I discussed and discussed this with my therapist. I seemed to be not able to stay OR go; both option were so painful.

So I sat on the fence, for months. Hoping time would somehow work everything out. It didn't. My therapist suggested how 'limbo' is the most painful, and that after making the decision, you obviously rule out the other option. And therefore can put all your energy and focus into working within the decision that was made; and actually moving forward. It made a lot of sense. Ultimately I left. So hard. So many tears. But once the decision was made I did have to move forward. (And by moving forward I mean I am moving forward in tiny little baby steps...but forward.) It's hard still, with temptation to go back and 'undo' my decision. But I know this would not be a healthy choice for me

Sending EC hugs to everyone in the 'stay/go' dilemma. This is all such tough stuff, without a doubt. ****sigh****

"You will know you made the right decision when you pick the hardest and most painful choice, but your heart is at peace."

Leela80, OED27x, Searching1 and 2 others like this.
  12. Imjustjulien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You are all so beautiful.. and you are perfect.

Take care, and most of all be kind to yourself. Be kind in the simplests most profoind of ways, just breath, just smile in the mirror, know that every second is new.

As easy as it might seem to go one way, it is easy to go the other... they are sides of the same you, not fixed but evolving...

So choose, choose wonderful, be wonderful, that is who you are. Wonderful. Truly wonderful...

leb10, OED27x, Searching1 and 3 others like this.
  13. NeonSocks

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is exactly the way I feel. Some days the choice seems so obvious and then others I can't seem to move. I can ask myself all the necessary questions to make the decision, but acting on that decision is so much harder.

It has just been a tough week. My family has not been well and I am heading home unexpectedly to help take care of my mom. It's tough when the adults who seemed so invincible start showing cracks and suddenly you find yourself as the caregiver a lot sooner than you ever thought possible.

My parents have both been ill for several years, but until recently have been stable. My mom has always been the healthier of the two so when she cried, too embarrassed to ask me for help, it hurt.

When I brought this up last night, my partner was upset bordering mad that I was heading home later this week. He was upset that although my sister is in town with them, I am the one taking off work and traveling to help. He doesn't understand that she bears so much of the burden being there and she too deserves a break. He can't understand why it's not even a choice for me. Can't or won't understand that I realize that my parents are getting older and I will always help them anyway I can if only to spend some extra time with them. The whole thing ended in not so much a fight as raised tensions. All the emotions and anger we have been feeling the past year came back to the forefront and once again we found ourselves unable to work through the conversation. It was just enough.

But today is a new day. Today I will not allow myself to feel burdened by my choices. Today I will try to actively live in each moment and enjoy this life I have been given. Today I will choose peace.

beenthrdonetht, OED27x and Searching1 like this.
  14. junebug99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Take care. I hope things get better for you soon.

NeonSocks likes this.
  15. NeonSocks

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you! Thank you all! Everyone's support throughout this process means more to me than I can ever hope to communicate.

junebug99 likes this.
  16. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know what, there isn't almost always someone worse off but at the same time you can only deal with what you have. Comparing your issues to others is never helpful, I think you are being too hard on yourself. The luxuries you talk of are to a point those under threat by your decision and that's what makes it so hard. Those rocks and stable foundations that you usually depend on to get you through the tough times are the exact same things that have become unstable. Take care of yourself.

NeonSocks likes this.
  17. Leela80

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for this beautiful message.

18. Leela80

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Stay strong! I hope your parents find comfort with you there.

junebug99 and NeonSocks like this.
  19. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Neon, this made me almost... no, no there's just something in my eye. I only heard my mom cry twice: when her niece died, and when I went off to college. Like yours, she didn't want to burden others; her life was about taking care of people.

You are an empathetic person, unlike — no I'm not going there. You are doing the right thing, and your mom, dad, and sister will appreciate it. You know we all admire you here. Namaste.

NeonSocks likes this.
  20. leb10

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sorry it's been a rough few days. Hope you get some fulfilling home time and that your mom is doing ok

NeonSocks likes this.