1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed . My 16 yr old son just came out.

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by beesmum, Jan 1, 2014.

1. beesmum

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi.

Firstly i would like to say that i am very very nervous about posting here as i am in a slight quandary and dont know what else to do.

The background is that i have broached the subject over the years whether my son was interested in guys or girls as he showed no interest to any gender and would be very defensive if one of the other siblings asked in passing if a celeb was on tv if he thought that they were attractive. Other traits kind of led me to believe he could be gay. Anyway last year i went up to look in on him and his brother before i went to bed and open on his phone on the floor was a site that he had been reading and obviously fallen asleep reading . The site was asking how to tell if i am gay,advice on coming out etc . So the next day as we have a totally open relationship within our family and nothing is off limit being spoken about,i told him i had seen it and he could come and talk to me about anything if he wanted to and i hoped he knew this. He said he wasnt sure and undecided yet. But assured me that he knew he could come to me with anything he had to say and he knew he would be unconditionally supported by myself and the rest of the family.

Over the past year weve had deep conversations regarding things and he said he was still undecided.

New years eve just gone he came up to me in the kitchen and said that he was going to come out on a social networking site to his friends so everyone knew once and for all. Out of the blue . I asked him if he was sure ,and he said he wasnt sure. I hugged him and told him it didnt matter to me as all i want for him out of life is to be happy and healthy. Whether he fancies men or women is neither here or there. We hugged for a while and i said he should tell his siblings and dad first and if thats what he wanted i would stand by him no questions asked without a doubt. I would kill for my children ,they are my life and woe betide anyone who hurts them. I am very fortunate that i have a very open relationship with all 4 of them. The family were told shortly after and all of them hugged him and said how proud they were of him and that they loved him no different and it made no difference.

My son then put put on the social networking site . Everyone was shocked but equally every single person very supportive. Couldnt have gone better. I am so so proud of him i cant even begin to express this. He is a very mature young man ,who is heading for medical school and is very bright ,sensible,clever,has a heart of gold and is a handsome lad with many friends. Should he choose to bring home a boyfriend they are welcome with open arms . As long as he is happy i am a happy mum. It is going to be a learning curve for us all and i for one will not be behind my son i will be by his side every step of they way.

Now the problem is ,is that although i understand that his sexual orientation is just who my beloved son is . Im wondering if i have done anything in his childhood or said something to put him off women. Is it my doing? He was always a quiet loving child which i adored and hugs were given freely and i love you's said umpteen times a day. I love my son soooo much and i dont think being gay is wrong in any way shape or form. But in your experiences can a mum shape your sexual preference .? Or am i beating myself up unecessarily. ? :confused: Any advice would be greatly received. I just want to do right by my son and help him as much as i can. xx

2. yay woo for supportive parents! (*hug*)
    in answer to the last part, nope.
    well not that i think anyway. i grew up without a dad around and that didnt affect me. iknow gay women whos parents are still married. so your home life doesnt affect anything to do with your sexuality. you need to stop blaming yourself.

if you wanted some extra advice/idk what its called... its really late sorry ahah! but many books are on amazon about what to do when a child comes out, so it might help if you pick one up but you sound like youre doing all the right things.

3. RainbowMan

First, I want to say you're an excellent parent, and should be commended for your relationship with your son, and for supporting him in whatever he decides to do.

As for your question, you are definitely beating yourself for no reason :slight_smile:. No one chooses to be gay, and it's really not something that's influenced by parental action or non-action. Many parents have these same questions - as a gay man, I can tell you that I had a rough childhood (and am just recently out, at age almost 35 - geez I'm old....). However, that childhood had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with my sexuality - I could have had the easiest childhood imaginable, and I'd still be as queer as I am today :slight_smile:.

Just keep on supporting your son, and he'll be fine :slight_smile:

4. beesmum

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you for replying. I know its late and i didn't expect anyone to be up . Thank you . :slight_smile:

Thank you . I cant help but feel i have let him down somehow and this deeply upsets me at the moment. I don't want to talk about this to him because i feel he must be going through turmoil as it is right now.And i don't want him thinking that i have any negative thoughts or would i want him to be upset thinking hes done something wrong because he hasnt. I just didnt know where to turn in all honesty. Like i said i was just wondering have i put this onto him and wondered if it was my fault somehow.

Once again thanks for the lovely prompt reply .)

5. RainbowMan

Not a problem - not even 9PM here in lovely NYC :grin:

I agree with not mentioning any of this to him right now. However, at the same time I think that you might need someone to talk these things through with that's not in some other part of the world :grin:. Have you considered seeing a therapist yourself? You're going through the stages of grief (at this point, you're grieving the heteronormative lifestyle that you would have liked your son to live - and that's completely natural and healthy) and talking through it with someone might do you a lot of good. Just a suggestion.

6. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First off, you are a wonderful parent for being so accepting.
    As for your question: I know that most people think that some external source shapes a childs sexuality and it is certainly a right to think that as sexuality is a difficult concept to explain. But the fact is that no one or nothing can shape a persons sexuality. There are many theories out there to try an explain the origin. But no one exactly knows.

As for advice and such, I'm not a parent so it is not my place to offer advice nor can I say what to do in this situation (other than being supportive). That being said, there exists such organization called PFFLAG (Parents, Friends & Families of Lesbians and Gays) that are comprised of parents and other audiences to help others.

Keep on being a great parent, you're doing great.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, I have to say I am really touched by your supportiveness, openness, and nonjudgment. Your son is extraordinarily lucky.

As far as your own feelings about "failing" him, keep in mind that even though you had some awareness this was a possibility, when he actually comes to you and tells you he's definitely gay, it's still, for almost any parent, going to hit him or her like a ton of bricks. Although he's been processing this and getting comfortable with it for a while, it's still (in spite of seeing what you saw) likely new to you, at least in having it as a fact.

Whenever we process a loss (in this case, loss of perception that your son is straight), there are stages we go through (denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance). I think part of your processing of that loss is looking at yourself and what you could have done/did do/etc that could have caused this.

As others have already said, the answer is... there's nothing you did, nothing you could have done to influence the outcome. It's pretty much settled (except on the part of the religious crazies who ignore the science) that sexual orientation is not environmental.

I wish you the best, and I'd encourage you to stick around... and to invite your son to do the same. :slight_smile:

8. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's common for parents to blame themselves.

If there's any blame/responsibility in similar situations, I think it's when the parents are so oblivious to the possibility, hold negative attitudes towards non-hetero non-cis people, create a hostile environment at home in which the child's only safe option is to remain in the closet. So no, parents can't make their child gay, but they can keep them in the closet.

Fortunately it's not your case, you've done good :eusa_clap

BTW Many places have various resources available to parents, such as PFLAG, you may want to look into those, as well as books, counselling, this website, etc... (someone beat me to it, I type slow lol).

P.S. If you continue to use online forums and similar resources, I would caution you in revealing too much precise information (i.e. using real first names of him and siblings/relatives) as some parents sometimes do here , because if your son runs across it accidentally it can cause trust issues between him and you later.

#8 awesomeyodais, Jan 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  9. biggayguy

10. suninthesky

Do you think your parents did anything to shape your sexual orientation?

11. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're an awesome mum!!
    And no, it is certainly not your doing at all. It's just how he is, and as long as you're both happy that's all that matters.
    it's good that his friends are also supportive.
    You might want to suggest that he goes to / take him to a local LGBT youth group (but only if he wants to do this). These are generally very supportive environments and a good chance for you both to make friends. :slight_smile:

Thank you for helping your son!

12. burg

as chip said he got lucky with his mum.wish you and him the best

13. Mogget

The idea that homosexuality is the result of bad or inadequate parenting has been around for a long time; just like the idea that autism and Asperger's syndrome are. Neither is true. That causes that shape sexual orientation appear to be largely genetic and the result of exposure to different hormones while in the uterus. The only thing your parenting has done is made your son feel safe coming out to you, and that's good parenting, not bad.

14. beesmum

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Wow i am very humbled that so many of you have taken your time to give advice.I really appreciate it.

Yes i feel as though i am grieving but in all honesty i felt guilty feeling this because i dont understand why i felt this way as i am so proud,honoured that i am blessed with such a wonderful person that is my son . I cant stress enough how proud i feel of him. But i feel guilty for feeling this feeling of loss and guilt and dont know why or where this comes from.

Like i said i would never want to lay these feelings on my son at the moment as they arent his feelings to bare . Its not right. Oh yes that goes without saying that i would never divulge his name or his siblings names on a public forum. Such an invasion of privacy i would never do . His feelings are my priority which is why i have come here after searching online who could maybe have felt this way or how i best support him through this transition in his life as best i can.

Thank you for the links i have read the Family Acceptance site and will treasure that site . It is a lovely site from all views of this family. Thank you . And i will have a look at the other site posted to help aswell. Thank you .

To hear from you that i havent done anything bad that has resulted in my sons sexual preference. Means a lot. I am overweight and thought maybe i had repulsed him and put him off women,or maybe i had done or said something without my knowledge that had deeply hurt him without my knowledge.

I want only the best for my precious son.And will support and help him along his journey any which way i can. And the advice and opinions i have read on this site will be invaluable to me /to us i am sure. This site is a god send to everyone involved in the coming out process . And i thank you for the site being here. xx

15. Aldrick

Do not beat yourself up over this - it's a natural reaction. It has nothing to do with your son, but rather the future you envisioned your son having. Although being gay hasn't changed who he is (he has always been gay), the perspective through which you viewed his life and his future has changed.

There is absolutely nothing you could have done to make him gay or make him straight. Gay people come from every type of family imaginable, from every culture, every religion, every nation, every ethnic group, and every socio-economic bracket. Even though we don't fully know what gives anyone their sexual orientation - including what makes someone straight - we know that it's natural and normal.

That's what is important to understand. It's natural and normal for humans to have same sex attraction. There are many, many, many other non-human species who also have same sex attraction - both romantic and sexual relationships. We don't fully understand why - yet. But this isn't a negative thing. It isn't as if your son has somehow become ill, or that some dark fate has befallen him. Even if it feels that way, it's only because that's the lens we've been taught to view human sexuality and in particular homosexuality.

You should strive to look at it from the perspective of one of your daughters coming home and telling you she has a boyfriend. Part of you would likely be excited and proud of her - she's growing up. She's taking risks. She's finding someone that is making her happy. Another part of you would likely be afraid, concerned with whether or not he'll treat her properly, and whether or not she'll make wise and responsible decisions. You are caught between conflicting emotions, but the situation isn't a negative one - it's an expected one. It's just part of her growing up and becoming an adult.

The same is true here. Your son has told you something important, something that was expected, and something that makes you proud - he's shown courage, and has taken strong steps toward becoming his authentic self. He's growing up. Your mind is likely filled with all sorts of worries and concerns, especially over how society might treat him, and the challenges he might face. Yes, everyone will face challenges in their life and his challenges may be more unique than others; often placed upon him by an unjust and unfair culture and society. However, at the end of the day this isn't a negative thing. He's stepping into an authentic role - something you should be proud of - and is becoming an adult.

Much of this is simply a matter of perspective. Yet, your grief is normal. You pictured a future for your son that is no longer going to come to pass as you imagined it. That is the loss you are grieving.

16. girlonfire

There have been some studies done about differences, there was a conclusion I read that showed differences in the brains of heterosexual to homosexual adults, so for all we know this was decided before he was born.

Whether you helped that or not doesn't really matter, he is what he is and I'm glad you are so supportive. :slight_smile:

17. flymetothemoon

You are such an awesome mom. Although you may feel like you did something to change your son, all you did was make him feel comfortable coming to you. You raised him in a way that made him certain he would be loved and accepted no matter what. That's hard to do, so kudos to you!

It is completely normal to grieve a little bit even though you are proud of your son. You might be nervous about what this means for him, or how much harder this might be for him, and that's okay too. You might be wondering what his life will be like now that you know for certain he won't date a woman or have children in the "natural" way. That's also okay. None of this means you love him less or are less proud of him. It just means you are processing what he has been processing for a while.

18. Anonymous

You didn't do anything to "make him gay". But being a supportive parent probably helped him come out sooner.
    Ps congrats on him being so happy with his life!

19. beesmum

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi. It gives me food for thought to be honest. Things are very strained to be honest at home. He is being very secretive and my heart feels just destroyed. Not because he is Gay. But because he is planning a life without us in it. Wev'e tried speaking to him and he refuses and wont speak to me since he came out. My heart is just torn and my life as i knew it has been destroyed. Its usually the other way around isnt it? The family's not accepting or supporting the person that has come out. :'( I feel and the family feel we have lost him. Tried speaking and explaining to him about it but he is just completely cold . Where has my son gone. I am sooo deeply upset and distraught. :'''( PLEASE HELP.

20. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your son has gone nowhere. He's probably just mulling over his own life right now. And that's not to say he will be planning a life without y'all in it. Reading that the family is not accepting nor supporting him has probably led him to become more secretive about what's going on in his life. It's not that y'all have lost your son so to speak, it's the fact that he is beginning to close off his life to those that won't support him.
    Does that make sense?

Also, if he wants to, he is always welcome here to share his side. I think the mods can make it to where he does not see this thread.