1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Abortion poll (may be triggering)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MerBear, Jun 29, 2013.

?

What is your stance?

1. I am female and Pro-life

10 vote(s)
    4.1%
  2. I am male and Pro-life

20 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. I am female and pro-choice

65 vote(s)
    27.0%
  4. I am male and Pro choice

122 vote(s)
    50.6%
  5. Mixed/unsure/No opinion

24 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Hexagon

I don't think there are many pro-lifers here. Apart from a couple of religious groups (and I do mean a couple), basically no one is pro life. Or at least, too scared to admit it.

2. StefaniW

StefaniW Guest

@Hexagon,

I think maybe it is different in your country than it would be in America. There are still many MANY pro-life people here who are the product of the still overly religious society that is this country, and research (as shown above) shows that opinion is split 60/40, still in favor of abortion but not by a very wide margin.

3. MerBear

I live in north carolina so i dont know. My friend did a research paper against abortion so i know a lot who are pro life but even at that, they are in high school and are not educated enough on abortion. They simply are pro life for religious reasons

But there is a abortion law here in NC that makes you go through a bunch hoops to get a abortion. I saw something on it but i can't find it.

------------------------------------
    Oh you're not from america? sorry, i assumed you were. I shouldn't have assumed :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. StefaniW

StefaniW Guest

@MerBer,

OMG, you do? I feel bad for you. I haate the Carolinas. I actually plan on moving to Charlotte some time (cuz my sister lives there, actually, two of my sisters, my brother, and my niece and soon to be nephew live there XD) but the few times I have been to visit it was AWFUL. We actually had skinheads harassing my sister and her girlfriend one time.

So, yeah, from my sister's stories and what I have seen her deal with, I know how hard it is to be a gay girl in North Carolina :frowning2:

5. MerBear

charlotte nc?

6. Garciano

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    NO to Abortion! How if youre that baby and youre not born cos youre aborted by your mom and no one told her she cant?? That abortion is wrong? That is life were talking about here people. I cant believe this

7. Hexagon

Hehe, no I'm not. I'm from Europe. But it should be noted that you don't have to be non-religious to be pro-choice. My parents, for instance, are both religious and pro-choice (though they don't actually like abortion).

Yes, but foetuses are not self aware, and they never have been. They've got no memories or sense of self. I would not exist had I been aborted, and so I wouldn't have been able to form an opinion on it. But if I'd been born to parents who would have wanted to abort me, but couldn't, I could have ended up neglected or abused, I might have been dumped in care and all sorts of things. And regardless, there are too many people in the world.

Saying that its life, and therefor must not be killed, doesn't really work. Life ends all the time. How many people have dumped disinfectant down a toilet? That kills life. Billions of bacteria. I wouldn't say that is morally wrong. So if we can't argue it from a point of life, what? I approach it from a point of view of awareness, and unborn foetuses are not self-aware.

If you want to look at things that way, though, my best friend once thought she was pregnant. She'd used contraception, but her periods were late. She was seventeen, in college. She was going to have an abortion if she was pregnant. She wasn't pregnant. But her life and education would have basically been destroyed if she'd been forced to go through with a pregnancy. Apart from basically being subjected to slavery by being forced to have a child against her will, how is the termination of her education and all that fair on her?

I don't usually like arguing from anecdotes, but I felt like it.

#87 Hexagon, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  8. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm very mixed on this.

If I had to put a label on it, I would lean towards 'pro-life'. However, I would also strongly emphasise that it's only a moral viewpoint that I have for myself if I was ever placed in that position, which is highly unlikely. If I was ever in any sort of role that allowed me to vote on abortion rights etc then I would adamently vote against restrictions for it, as I am even more strongly against preaching my own morality on these issues to other people.

Saying that, I take issue with the term pro-life, as it implies that the opposite is somehow pro-death. Issues like this are obviously very emotionally-driven, but it seems like a lot of the moral discourse surrounding this discussion stems from the labels that are used and the insensitive nature in which the emotions on both sides are thrown around. I will always support a woman to have her right to choose, as it isn't something that is taken as a form of contraception, and it's a lot more traumatic for her than it is for somebody like me who can preach my morality from the sidelines. After all, I think if there's one thing both sides of the issue are united on, it's that an abortion procedure is not nice all round, but there is no denying that it's a safeguard that is needed. A return to backstreet abortions would just be devastating, so if it's going to happen at all then it should be medically controlled in its current manner.

Although I should probably point out that we don't really have this discussion in the UK, so my position still probably firmly places me on the pro-choice side of the spectrum in relation to America's polarizing discussion on it. If I was ever in this position myself (again, unlikely) I would never be able to encourage the woman to have an abortion, but I would never try and force my morality on anybody else. It's too much of a personal issue for people like myself to try and force values regarding it onto other people.

9. MerBear

I know. I should have specified ...like "conservative" views or something.

I apologize!

umm but europe....my sister's husband lives in germany :slight_smile:
    a little fun fact.

10. StefaniW

StefaniW Guest

Yes :wink: a lot of my family moved there for some weird reason. We aren't even FROM the South we're from Pittsburgh XD but yeah a lot of them live there now and I plan on staying with my sister there, some time down the line.

11. MerBear

well guess what? that's exactly where I live. Charlotte, NC Hahaha.

12. StefaniW

StefaniW Guest

@Martin,

I don't like the term pro-life either! It's manipulative actually. I was going to put something like "pro-fetus" in my earlier post XD

---------- Post added 30th Jun 2013 at 12:22 PM ----------

Heeeey, keeewl! If I ever get there we'll have to grab a bite together sometime. Ooh! OMG, when you turn 18 I will have my sister find you a girlfriend, lololz XD she has looots of LGBT connections there.

Ever hear of Time Out Youth? She used to be pretty big with them.

#92 StefaniW, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2013
  13. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    but being pro-choice does not mean you personally are pro-abortion
    i am firmly pro-choice, and always will be

14. MerBear

That would be cool :grin: and definitely helpful :wink: I actually ..heard of it through a friend but I was worried about what to expect.

What do they do at time out youth???

15. StefaniW

StefaniW Guest

Well, like they basically just have lectures and seminars and things and talk about LGBT issues and provide support for LGBT youth. It was a really great program and she loved it when she was involved in it. She loooved the director, Steve Bentley I think his name is?

But yeah, anyway, she used to speak for them and share her coming out story (which...my mom back then...let's just say it wasn't a very happy one). You should go! It would be a good experience for you <3

#95 StefaniW, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2013
  16. Garciano

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Actually "pro choice" is the pro abortion movement so..

17. MerBear

no its not....

18. Hexagon

No, it isn't. Pro-choice means you are in favor of the choice being made by the person who is pregnant. Pro-abortion means you are willing to have an abortion yourself.

19. MerBear

I want to but I'm not out to my dad and I dont want him to take me.
    I asked my best friend if she could take me but she doesn't know when she'll get her license

I also want to go to pride....but Again no ride -_-
    I'll walk if i have to but i would have to walk on the interstate :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. Garciano

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As far as my research "pro-choice" is also known as the United states abortion rights movement.