1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

27 dead in Newtown, Conn. school shooting

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Revan, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Isabelle

Rip to all of the victims

2. IkeaMonkey

Exactly. This article sums up my feelings on it pretty well.

3. Gen

Gen

Ok we really all need to slow down here. None of these statements are confirmed, nor have an logical basis. Should we run through the tragedies that we have seen if other countries? This world as a whole contains no shortage. Regardless of how we feel about gun laws and drugs, we should be past the point of generalizing vast groups of people. There is no clinical drug that would cause an individual to desire to kill, especially not children. Someone must be inherently mentally ill, to commit sickenings acts regardless of medication or not. This idea of we need to get rid of the "pills", "They are making us evil", is just another trival excuse for man to disgard responsibility for their actions.

Speaking of which, on the topic of better mental health 'control'. It is a little easier said than done. Being able to accurately evalute a mentally ill individual is risky enough in its own sense. While we do have instances of bullying or abuse that result in issue, many individuals that have to capability to relentlessly arent what we see in the movie theaters. Modern psychoanalysis isnt really at a point in which we can accurately pinpoint the mentally unstable, especially considering that they mentally unstable are often unaware or uncaring of their mindset.

I'm not trying to shoot anyway down of course. Personally, I do believe that we do need to have real counselors talk to our youth, at the absolute least, once during thier education, for simple healthy reasons. However, in all honestly, I dont believe we can actually overcome these issues through counseling. It would be impossible to regulate.

Not to mention, I could easily pass a psychological exam. While I am not mentally ill, of course, the point is that the majority of individuals can. The problem with psychoanalysis is that anyone can lie or be unaware that something is wrong. Psychologist really do need a level cooperation with their patients in order to properly evalute their health. Its not as simple as a medical procedure. Many individuals that commit these acts arent noticeably disturbed until right before the act is commited.

4. Emberstone

statisticly, america tends to have more violent gun crimes a year than everyone other country in the western world combined. and even if you double those countries number of gun crimes, america still has more. most countries are seeing it in the hundreds, and we see it, on average, close to 10,000.

5. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The article is wrong he had 2 guns and a rifle that wasn't used and he didn't wear a vest because he killed him self right after he shot everyone , his mom was a teacher their and. He killed her to.

6. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    In my opinion we should be focusing on the victims and celebrating their lives. There is too much coverage on the shooter and not enough on those lives lost. We know the name of the shooter but no names of the victim. My friend's brother died in the Aurora shooting over the summer. Hardly anyone knows the names of the people that died there let alone anything about their lives. My friend's brother died shielding others from being shot.

7. Deaf Not Blind

^ AGREED!

Remmy the good guys, shove the killers in a cell and toss the key. Forget them.

8. Ventus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Supposedly the shooter had aspergers and very severe developmental and social issues. Doesn't really surprise me.

9. sguyc

"Experts say most of those prescriptions are unnecessary. The United States makes up only 4.6 percent of the world's population, but consumes 80 percent of its opioids -- and 99 percent of the world's hydrocodone, the opiate that is in Vicodin."

Prescription Painkillers: Record Number of Americans Pain Medication - ABC News

10. dano22

dano22 Guest

Who cares if the shooter had mental issues or not. It does not justify what he did which I cannot even begin to describe. It is a horrendous trajedy and I could care far less about this pathetic excuse for a human being than victims that were killed in this shooting.

11. Gen

Gen

I will not post again after this because I will not derail this thread into oblivion. However, I never said that American doesnt consume the most prescription drugs. Rather I clearly argued that the belief that America has the poorest mental health is ridiculous. While Americans do have the highest amount of prescription usages(Which shouldnt even be used to compliment this claim considering the vast differences in average economic ability across the world), it isnt as though psychiatrist are just dropping prescriptions like candy. While it may seem as such on the outside, studying the medication that is being prescribed will tell you that they arent that varied.

Likewise, my other point was that medication cannot be used as a valid excuse for these crimes. It doesnt matter what you have, there isnt a drug that is going to be prescribed to you that would put thoughts in your mind. Yes, it in some cases they do case magnified emotions, but thats all they do; Mess with chemicals.

You cannot argue that it is the drugs fault, even partially, for the decisions of these people. Even though the drugs may have caused the individual to be in a state of heightened emotion, they would have to have had some inner desire to commit that acts. Meaning, there is no way that they wouldnt have needed some sort of psychological treatment anyway.

While I will agree that medication in general is often to quickly prescribed in some cases today, the fear of the drugs themselves is irrational.

12. IkeaMonkey

It's only worth noting so we can try to prevent this from happening again. The one, of many things, we need to work on as a society is the stigma of mental illnesses and getting people the help they need/deserve. It, in no way, excuses him for what he did though.

13. Emberstone

if we dont speak out, everyone killed in these shootings will have died in vain. the grace period is a meme created by the right wing media, as we saw the aurora; they demanded it, immediatly broke it, and used the shootings as an excuse to point the blame everywhere by as a legislature that refuses to even discuss how to improve the facets of society and law that fail us, and allow these events to happen with disturbing ease and frequency.

people need to stop pretending that people who are calling for change do not grieve for the victims; it is for the victims that they are calling for change.

14. Clown

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, it surely does not justify what he did.
    But it's important to know the cause of his actions. There are usually warning signs, and this is an example of why it's important to understand what we can do to prevent events like this.
    Mental illness is definitely not something that can be fully explained, but it's not something that should be unnoticed.

15. Emberstone

exactly. its a facet of the problem that in america, we still deeply stigmatise mental and emotional illness. I had a friend who had problems with depression kill himself because his parents were the kind who ignored things that didnt fit with their image they wanted others to perceive them as having, and depression was one of those things they did not talk about, or acknowledge, and it hurt him to the point of no return.

it, however, is not as easy to just say that people should have seen the signs; sometimes the signs are not as easy to spot, and when you combine that with stimga, or a general apathy towards others that some in society have until it is too late, it can be hard. We have to edjucate our population better, break down the stigmas, and help those who are struggling to know they are not alone, and that seeking help is not a sign of weakness, but one of strength.

what happened has many causes, but the problem is that we are not allowed to deal with any of them. When we say there is a culture of violence in society, thats no joke, though some use the phrase to cause harm, rather then use it to highlight real problems. we cant be afraid to call it that, because you cant fix a problem until you acknowledge it is there.

16. dano22

dano22 Guest

I understand your point I was trying to make a point that Aspergers is not a mental Illness like a previous poster mentioned. It is a disability but it is not a illness.

17. Clown

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry, I didn't mean that in anyway to blame fault. I only meant that there are usually odd signs that go with such destructive behavior. Sometimes there's not. But I just feel like more caution should definitely go out for any odd behaviors because if not, we'll never see the end of events like this. It's not something that can be avoided, but more support should be offered to anyone who is troubled.
    And I agree with what you're pretty much saying.
    Changes could be made eventually to how we interpret these events and the causes.

Oh, I understand. Well, it seems like everything is still speculation at this point. We won't fully understand what went on in his head.

18. Emberstone

well, depending on the type and severity of aspegerers, it could be a contributing factor, as to varying degrees, the disability can inhibit social skills.

but at the same times, that can be an example of the stigmitization. in the end, it could be that it was completely irrelevant to why the shooter did what he did, but we as a society must then be prepared to fight efforts to paint it in a light that is not true.

I franly doubt aspergers is relevant to this case. it just doesnt strike me as the kind of thing that would cause a person to deliberately and meticulously carry out a shooting like this, that doesnt ring of randomnous. I think we have to look to some deeper, underlying emotional trigger.

aspergers and autisem can manifest itself in emotional outburst, but this really did seem thought out, premeditated.

19. Fiddledeedee

Indeed. The US has had three comparable mass shootings within the past year. The UK hasn't had one since what, the 90s at least? Population differences do not account for that.

20. Emberstone

the shik temple which was racist in nature in that it targeted people assumed to be muslims, I think killed six. we had aurora, where 30-40 killed, and 50-60 injured. two days before this recent mass slaying at the school that killed 27, including twenty children, mostly around the age of 5-6, we also had a shooting at a mall that killed two, sent another to the hospital, and the only saving grace is that the gunmans weapons were beyond his understanding, and he had a hard time getting them to work, being inexperinced, then gave up and killed himself.

I think we have had a few office killings also, but for some reason, those don't get much attention: i can understand the killing of 20+ people is a bigger story, but all gun violence is terrible.

most countries in the western world see in a year less homocidal gun crimes than america sees in a single day.

I just got ripped apart by someone I thought was a friend. Let me just say that I had a friend from middle school who about 6 years ago was gunned down while on vacation. they were in an area considered safe, and popular with tourist when a gang member drove by, saw a rival, and open fire. I know people think there should be a grace period, but having lost someone to gun violence, it hits home, before, I felt a sense of horror and dread, now, I cant help but think of Brianna. and this friend, about six hours ago, went on this huge rampage saying anyone who is saying that we need to ask ourselves how we let this happen is an insenitive asshole who needs to fuck themselves. even when a few of us relayed our own experinces with gun violence, she called us myobic arrogant assholes.

this is how these terrorist win. there should be no doubt that this is an act meant to instill terror for those who have to live with personal losses, those who have already been touched by such horrors, and those who are sensitive, and trying to grapple with it.

and sadly, we are already seeing people use it to put others down. Thought she was a friend, but when she claimed that me talking about Brianna was a personal attack against her, it became clear she is not the kind of person anyone should want to be around.

now I cant sleep. I did not expect to sleep well tonight; I barely slept after the mall incident, and it did not help I learned one of the people in the mall when it happened was a friend. she only told people today because she didnt think she could keep it in anymore. she had been acting weird, and she wouldnt answer questions the night it happened about her statue from 2:30 saying she was heading to the mall to do some shopping. we wanted to know if she was there, and if she was okay, and she went silent.

we cant keep silent on this. congress needs to tell the nra to fuck off, and to stop preventing discussion.