1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is sexuality fixed from birth or does it change later in life?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Obliteratrix47, Aug 20, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obliteratrix47

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't comprehend some statements made by others, as they have said that you were born this way, or that your preferences just fluctuate over time, for example, from 100% straight to 100% gay. I was talking to my friend, who's bisexual, about sexual fluidity concept, but she said it happens when you change labels, but not your sexuality itself. I've also talked with my older sibling who's bisexual as well, and she thinks you can go from straight to fully gay. I don't know which any of these experiences people went through and made these beliefs are facts or how they just concluded their own opinion.

Keller and Red1 like this.
  2. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sexual fluidity happens for many different reasons. For some people, sexual fluidity occurs when they meet people and discover new attractions. For other people, sexual fluidity may occur when they learn a new identity label that better fits their experience.

Sexual orientation is fixed. It feels strange that people take the sexual fluidity and the persons orientation to be exactly the same, but they're not same.

Jahiem, Aelin56 and Obliteratrix47 like this.
  3. Engdood1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It’s an interesting point. In my own experience I assumed I was straight for most of my life but have discovered that I’m not. In fact I think I’m probably gay and had just suppressed that side of myself for a long time. So that means I was always gay but am only now realising it. It’s hard to overstate how much denial can influence people, I know it did for me.

Aelin56 and Obliteratrix47 like this.
  4. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Do we think sexuality can be influenced by experiences during puberty/growing up? If someone fools around with a same-sex partner when growing up, is that more likely to mean they become gay or bi when they're an adult?

5. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's all very individual. Sometimes trauma is involved or a mental issue. It's up to the individual to work through this all. It's not something you can generalize.

Growth and development are continuous processes, which bring a change in an individual, every moment. Development of sexuality starts early and continues through infancy, childhood, adolescence, adulthood and until death.

Many children engage in sexual behaviours at some stage of childhood. Curiosity and experimenting are behind these normal behaviours.

Aelin56 and Obliteratrix47 like this.
  6. Searching2022

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are plenty of gay men here who only dated girls in school, even married one, and finally, decades later, accept that they are gay.
    in my personal experience, I did not want to be gay but my desire to have sex with men was way more powerful than any desire for sex with women.
    No one taught me and I didn't see anything to learn it but my desire to give blow jobs and receive anal intercourse were almost instinctual. It could be something turned on at puberty for some and maybe something in childhood activates genes? I think the science is still out.

I think its possible for someone to play a straight or bi, or gay role, but not change their innate sexual desires. I think playing straight or a bi person saying they will be monogamous which means they will just have one partner and therefore only act in one sexuality, is more common.

Ashton23, Obliteratrix47 and JT1999 like this.
  7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's no credible evidence to suggest that sexual orientation can be influenced by anything during puberty. The evidence is pretty clear that it is fixed either before birth or a combination of a predisposition before birth and very early life experiences. However, the majority of the evidence is on before birth.

Sexual orientation often expresses when a child goes through puberty, becuase that is the first time that the sex hormones that cause sexual arousal really express. So someone can appear to be straight for years, hormones kick in, and they realize they are gay. But nothing changed them... they were always that way, it's just that the hormones are expressing for the first time, causing the awareness.

Fooling around with a same-sex partner isn't a predictor of being gay, and like what I said above, there's no data that suggests that is a reliable predictor. If it was, probably 2/3 of the population would be gay.

It also happens that people are so deeply in denial that they honestly believe they are straight until something jars them and they realize they've been completely out of touch with their feelings. (BTW, this has *nothing* to do with OCD, and anyone that has OCD... no, this isn't happening to you.)

On the other end of the spectrum, there are people that know from 2 or 3 that they have same sex attraction. We don't understand why or how it happens super early for some folks and later for others, but it's common and normal either way.

#7 Chip, Aug 21, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2023
  8. Violet Rain

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was one of the ones who were completely in denial of my true sexuality until recently, when something happened to make me wake up and see the truth about myself. I always liked looking at women in certain ways, but shoved it away due to the upbringing and the fact a lot of my family members are bigots.

I think it was always there. Hubby said he noticed a few things about me when we started dating over 30 years ago, but I denied it.

I think that our sexuality is there from the start, but what we think is attractive can change over time. I was more into blond guys when younger, now I prefer tall, dark and handsome in men but don't care what hair color a woman has, if I think she's beautiful, she's beautiful.

Aelin56, Chip, Bl3ssed1 and 1 other person like this.
  9. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The reason I asked is because I can't remember ever feeling attracted to a girl prior to kissing a girl, sharing a bed etc at the age of 16. And I wouldn't have done that without the influence of alcohol. But after doing it a few times it started to feel more normal and for obvious reasons it was really enjoyable! Before then my sexual experiences were just a couple of boys my own age and they didn't really have a clue. I think if nothing had happened that night I would have had no reason to pursue other women for the last 8 years. I don't think I've ever been in love with a girl and I've never been able to see myself being in a long term relationship with a girl. I wonder how much of my bisexuality is a learned response to enjoyable experiences or is it something that was always part of me?

10. Feuer445

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    What would this look like?

11. Obliteratrix47

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, how do I say this? My older sister developed feelings for that one girl when she was in her senior years of high school. When I asked her if she had fantasized about women beforehand, she just denied. That's how she came to the conclusion that she's bisexual, so is it really possible for a person to be straight for years and then become gay later in life? People will always say that you were born this way, but there's tons of stories of people that were married and have kids, eventually ended up realizing that they were same-sex attracted. This whole concept is just hard to comprehend.

12. Obliteratrix47

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It means that you've been programmed into believing that you're not queer, which is really scary.

13. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly it's all scary, but this is all how sexuality developes.

When I was a kid I did experiment, but never once did I actually thought about what my sexuality is.

Only in my 30's I became to actually think about it.

I started noticing more of who is my type I get attracted to and I can actually trace my experiences to my childhood. They would go unnoticed, if I would have never tried to trace it back and analyzing myself. I doubted for the longest time.

I belived myself to be a straight female. It was scary admitting I actually like women, because of my own surroundings. I denied my whole identity beside my sexuality. To me they are sepparate. My sexuality is not my whole identity, but part of me.

It's all individual and something hard to describe, but people in denial don't try to figure out what their sexuality is or are worried about it. They just deny it with their whole being.

Obliteratrix47 likes this.
  14. Searching2022

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a couple of girlfriends suggest that I was gay, but I strongly denied it, even when they were very nice and understanding about it. I just wasn't' ready. The reason I reacted so strongly is because they saw what I was trying to hide.

When I was in denial, I drank and then tried to have sex with a man then got scared. I wasn't ready, but the lack of inhibition created by alcohol helped at least bring those feelings to the surface.

I thought the same about my female partners, but the sexual energy wasn't there because I was just not aroused and actually repulsed by naked females. Only when I had accepted myself and had sex with a man did I realize how natural it should feel.

Red1, Violet Rain and Obliteratrix47 like this.
  15. Searching2022

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everyone has different ways of doing that - you can read many stories here especially in the later in life section. From what I have seen here and my own experience was writing off gay fantasies as a kink or fetish or problem, like a bad habit I was trying to get rid of.
    A another common denial method which multiple people have posted here was the masturabate to gay fantasies then 'switch' at the last minute to a woman and tell yourself you were really aroused by a woman.
    Another was to have sex with a woman, fantasize about a guy -usually this is the only way a gay man can get aroused, but afterwards 'forget' how you fantasized.
    Yet another: tell yourself you're not gay because you find women beautiful and no guys on the street arouse you.

Repression and denial are incredibly strong impulses and incredibly deceiving.

#15 Searching2022, Aug 22, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2023
  16. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I didn't mean I wasn't into the guy or wasn't aroused. Just that it wasn't great sex, but what 16 year old guy really knows anything about how a woman's body works? I didn't quite get what I was looking for with a couple of guys but found it with a girl, and just kept going back for more and pretty much forgot about men for a couple of years. I sometimes wonder if I'm some real weird type of bisexual or have some sort of psychological de-coupling between sex and relationships, or maybe I'm not even bi at all and I've just trained my mind to associate pleasure with females. I really can't explain why I've spent such a lot of time pursuing women sexually when I've put basically very little effort into maintaining platonic friendships with girls I've known since I was much younger. Definitely even after the first few times sleeping with my first girlfriend, there wasn't really much pure physical attraction there. We had an intense and fun friendship before things got physical, but I never had a crush on her or anything similar. Like the thought of seeing her body didn't really do it for me, like I had enjoyed thinking about my ex boyfriend's body. And yet any guy would have said she had a perfect body, she really did. What really did it for me was the touch, her hands on me, her mouth on mine, feeling the heat from her breath on my neck, receiving pleasure and giving it back, watching her body respond. Thats what sticks in my memory from those days. My physical attraction to women only really came with time, probably quite a lot of time. When I see a really hot man, the attraction is there straight away. Romantically its always been men too.

#16 JT1999, Aug 22, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2023
    Searching2022 likes this.
  17. Searching2022

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand, I am just saying that is what I was rationalizing with women (she's uptight, there just isn't' chemistry between us) and I was using that for denial.
    If you like pleasuring another woman, that sounds pretty sexual. I have heard cases of 'straight' guys liking getting a blow job from a guy because it feels good, but I think it would be a stretch to say "I am a straight guy who likes to give blow jobs" :slight_smile:
    I don't think its conditioning because I tried and tried and tried to like doing it to women and it just never stuck. I am not saying your experience is mine but, despite years of denial and shame, when I gave my first oral sex to a guy it just felt natural, and I liked giving it more than receiving it from a girl.
    Do you like pleasuring men ? is that where the confusion comes from (if there is any ?)

18. Bl3ssed1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've always found the female body to be a beautiful masterpiece, and the male body repulsive. I'm married to a man, and my gf died from COVID. I haven't been with another female since her. I've kinda got more into God of the Bible and suppressed my lust. Maybe it's a grieving process, I dunno.

19. Obliteratrix47

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It seems to be the case. From what I can tell, you don't sound that you actually like the opposite sex. Moreover, maybe you're married to your husband because you don't want to end up suffering from loneliness? Loneliness and grief at the same time can interfere with pursuing relationships with others, so that's how I believe the cause of your denial issues.

20. Bl3ssed1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I like the female body. But, mentally, I prefer men because women are mentally and emotionally annoying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.