1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Falling back into hetero life...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by L8bloomer, Apr 14, 2019.

1. SoulSearch

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Don’t rush things or push yourself if you don’t feel ready. I chose to leave my husband to be with my girlfriend and honestly, I’m not sure if it was the right move. I love her. I love the sex and the intimacy. But I miss my husband to the point of tears every single day. There are times I just want to go “home” and pretend none of this ever happened I thought he would always be my friend and while we get along fine, he has a girlfriend and doesn’t want to spend time with me anymore. It hurts. I grieve for my old life even with the joy on the new. I guess only time will tell. I hope your path will become more clear.

Butterfly6 and L8bloomer like this.
  2. jsm

jsm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And that is precisely my biggest fear. My husband and I have been together so long that our lives are so thoroughly intertwined. I know I’ll miss what I have if I leave it. I’m not sure if I want either of us to live our lives as we are now though. I want us both to feel fulfilled.

I know you said you grieve your old life, but do you regret the choice you made?

L8bloomer likes this.
  3. Fenrir

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I know follow your heart sounds like good advice, but it’s not. The heart is fickle and what feels right may not always be right.

You said you are financially stable and what you have right now is a good thing going. I don’t know the age of your kids but I think that when they are young making a decision to break up a family will hurt them more now.

Take stock of everything, even your more tangible assets. Never discount finances when a decision has to be made because if you can’t care for yourself then there’s no point in leaving (except in some extreme cases). Take stock of your feelings as well. It seems to me that this is a little more muddy than most would think. I think authenticity is a “bad” word here since it seems like your love and care for your family is true and that’s what makes this hard.

Don’t judge a relationship by the level of fireworks, it never ends well. Also fulfillment is a little bit of a myth and you are never going to get EVERYTHING you want. I suggest a more measured approach

#23 Fenrir, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    L8bloomer likes this.
  4. L8bloomer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I get this. I want nothing more than to remain friends with my husband and for him to accept me and for us all to still be a family, whatever that looks like for us.

He met up with some friends at a bar this past weekend, which he hasn't done in forever. I found myself almost hoping that he met up with a woman, perhaps one of the girls he used to hang out with. I know it's easier to think of that now, since we are together and it's all hypothetical. But I truly didn't feel jealous or worried. I actually joked with him that maybe he'd meet up with his old flame. I don't know... hard to know what is clear.

5. Fenrir

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    What I have learned in life is that there aren't any right or wrong answers, just consequences. Whatever decision you make will lead to a set of consequences and ultimately life is about living with the results of your actions. You can ask others what they would do, but in the end they are not you. The decision will ultimately fall on you. There are only consequences for every act, only question that remains is "can you live with the choice you want to make".

I won't tell you what is right or wrong. But doing nothing is still a choice, and if you wait for perfect certainty then you'll wait forever. Bear in mind there is a chance of losing your family and contact with your husband as well. But I think hoping your husband runs into an old flame is just dodging responsibility for making a choice.

I'm not pressuring you into anything, just trying to make clear what can happen. Sometimes the right choice can tear you up inside. Feelings are fleeting and unreliable (sometimes). Make clear your values, do you want comfort or something else. There is no right or wrong, only what you can live with.

L8bloomer likes this.
  6. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whilst I agree that rushing wouldn’t be wise and leaving a relationship for a particular person is best to be avoided as it can place unrealistic expectations on the new relationship, I don’t think staying for financial stability alone is without it’s own issues. There’s the risk of resentment developing between partners, as well as the feeling of being completely fed up with life, which won’t create a great environment for children. As long as the situation is handled well and the children are always considered, then there’s no reason to stay in a relationship for them alone. Children feel the negativity in the environment. Condemning yourself to years of misery is not necessarily something that they will thank you for.

I agree with this, it’s why I took so long to take action. But it can be overcome, I spent a year or so career training, which I don’t think is applicable to you, @L8bloomer. But, whilst it’s a good idea to get this sorted first, it doesn’t have to mean making changes are impossible, just something to work towards.

I spent so long caught up on this issue...the guilt for breaking my family up. I think it’s really easy to get caught up on this, which is why I’m responding to this post. I don’t think anyone going through this doesn’t feel and consider the potential impact on those closest to them. If you are miserable and there are big issues (or one big issue) in your relationship, then your children will pick up on that and it might be that you can be a better parent to them outside this relationship.

I don’t think anybody on here is making decisions based on the lack of “fireworks”, it’s more like lack of any kind of attraction. Who wants to have sex out of obligation? Who wants their partner to have sex with them out of obligation? Won’t that breed resentment? It’s not a case of leaving just for sex or because the relationship doesn’t give you everything they want. It’s so much bigger than that; being with somebody of the wrong gender is not the same as being with somebody that doesn’t like the same TV shows as you, for example. Staying means living a pretence. Living a false life and hiding. It eats away at you, makes you utterly miserable.

#26 LostInDaydreams, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    L8bloomer and jsm like this.
  7. Fenrir

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I mean if we are going with “sex as an obligation” that’s not different from regular relationships.

Meander likes this.
  8. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’m not sure I understand your point...people in relationships should have sex when they don’t want to? And that’s ok? Or we should accept it and not aim for a better relationship?

I responded to your post because it contained many of the things that I (and others) felt guilty and negatively about when going through the questioning process and, to be honest, they weren’t helpful thoughts. Nobody should live a pretence in misery, going through the motions, feeling drained and fed up, because it’s financially easier and maintains the family unit. If that’s their choice, then fair enough, but I don’t think hearing those thoughts echoed by other people is necessarily helpful and I wanted present an alternative perspective for the OP, as I am somebody who has had those concerns and was able to reconcile them.

I’m not familiar with your situation...is it similar?

#28 LostInDaydreams, Apr 23, 2019
    Meander likes this.
  9. jsm

jsm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @LostInDaydreams -
    Thank you for your response here. I’ve been following @L8bloomer’s threads as the two of us seem to be working through a lot of the same struggles. When I read the post you responded to here, I felt chastised, shamed, and guilty. All the things written there are all the things I already beat myself up about. Seeing someone else say it (not even directly to me) instantly stalled any assurance I was building that I should seek my best life - whatever that may be.

I appreciate your voice in response to all of it.

LostInDaydreams likes this.
  10. Fenrir

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I’m making them aware that there aren’t right or wrong answers, just choices you have to live with. Financial stability is nothing to discount, people who do so tend to be fortunate (in one sense of the word). She clearly loves her family and doesn’t want to harm them emotionally or up end things. Unlike her the kids don’t get a choice in the outcome. They can pick up on something being wrong, but letting them recover from breaking the family is unfair.

But again, that’s a consequence. There is nothing wrong with staying in comfort, the same goes for leaving. But don’t put the thought in her head that going through the motions is wrong. People compromise on a lot of things every day because they just value some things more.

Like how I put up with having sex with my boyfriend because I liked being together but that aspect is just a price to pay.

The question remains then is what price is she willing to pay. You can compare her to you all you want, but she’s not you.

11. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @jsm You are very welcome. I’m pleased it helped - that’s exactly why I replied to that post.

It’s a tough situation. Be kind to yourself. Trust yourself to know what’s best for you and your children.

jsm and L8bloomer like this.
  12. L8bloomer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think there were several valid points raised on multiple sides here... I don't believe sex should be an obligation for anyone, but yes, sometimes it is even in straight relationships. However, for me the difference we are talking about is, what is the reason behind it. A married straight woman may feel tired but may acquiesce to her husband out of a sense of obligation. Sometimes it's more enjoyable than other times. But if you're just not attracted to your spouse at all, sex becomes so... mechanical. Awkward. You love this person and want them to be happy, but it's difficult when you are not feeling what you know sex should feel like.

I also think that any of us who are married - especially with kids - should take a measured approach to our decisions. And there is a lot to be said about timing. But there absolutely comes a point where you just know you can't do it much longer. At what point do you stop putting it off and numbing yourself with other things? And the kids pick up on it (see my other recent post on that). I know that no long-term relationship has the fireworks that are in the beginning, but if I think back to early days of being with my husband, it's like, there weren't even fireworks then. There was something there - maybe something that resembled fireworks at the time, but probably it was more like sparklers :slight_smile:

Fuzzy and LostInDaydreams like this.
  13. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’m not advising anyone to discount finances - I’ve said (and done) the opposite - I’m just saying they don’t have to be a permanent obstacle and they aren’t the only thing to consider.

Children do “recover” from broken families and are perhaps better off for not living in a negative environment. Living in a traditional family unit is not essential to their happiness, wellbeing and development. Parents who are happy, give them attention and love, together or apart, are important, and it’s easier to do that when not weighed down by relationship/sexuality issues.

I’m not saying that going through the motions is wrong, just that’s it’s not an “easy” option and not without it’s own problems.

I’m not trying to make comparisons, just sharing where my perspective comes from. It’d be interesting to know what your experience of this kind of situation is...do you have a family and children of your own?

I fully accept that what @L8bloomer does is her own choice, but she does not need to follow your example, just as she does not need to follow mine.

For what it’s worth, I have taken a “measured approach” - I joined EC three years ago and I’m still with my partner.

#33 LostInDaydreams, Apr 23, 2019
    L8bloomer likes this.
  14. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everyone hits that point at different times (and some just don’t, which is what suits them). Based purely on what I’ve seen on EC, I fall on the slower end of the scale, which was partly financial as I was a stay-at-home parent when I first started questioning. It varies from months to years. You’ll know when you’ve hit your limit. For me, it was when I didn’t want to wake up the next day. I think when you get to a certain point, you just need to act. What that point is varies from person to person.

#34 LostInDaydreams, Apr 23, 2019
    L8bloomer likes this.
  15. Fenrir

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Well they don’t always recover. Plenty of people are damaged pretty hard by it. It’s just another price to pay.

16. jsm

jsm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @Fenrir - I hear your points. I think @LostInDaydreams has asked a valid question twice now that you have ignored, however. From what perspective/experience are you coming? I think it is helpful to understand that in processing your point of view.

L8bloomer and LostInDaydreams like this.
  17. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It’s not certain though, is it? I agree it’s a risk, but it’s not certain. More likely that they’ll be raised in a tense and resentful environment if their parents choose to stay for the children alone. What example of a relationship would they be set? Better to have separate, but happy parents.

L8bloomer likes this.
  18. Fenrir

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I don’t think personal experience and perspective matter when it comes to my words. I judge based on content not on what their story is.

But based on the posts and thread she has made it seems to me like she wants us to make the choice for her. I know it’s a tough choice and many people are involved, but at some point you just have to pull the trigger (metaphorically).

19. Fenrir

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    It’s a realistic example of a possible outcome in a relationship. It teaches them that relationships aren’t always positive and can happen that way. People are complicated.

You say it’s better to have separate and happy parents, but what if that’s only one who is happy? And better for who?

I agree it’s not certain, but rolling the dice on kids who don’t have a say is pretty cold. But that’s just me. If she wants to risk it then go for it.

#39 Fenrir, Apr 23, 2019
    L8bloomer likes this.
  20. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ...and they should stay and suffer through it, regardless of the impact on those around them and their own mental health? Leaving would show them the same thing, and if handled well, that people can move on and remain on positive terms with each other.

You mean if only one parent is happy? No adult should stay in a relationship to avoid upsetting another adult.

I’m doing the same thing, I completely disagree that it is cold. My patents divorced and I don’t think that was cold either. Children are resilient, they adapt. I’m not trying to harm my daughter. I’m not even acting despite the possible risk. I am doing it because I think it will be a better environment for her. My situation is different admittedly, as my partner is emotionally abusive. But, as I’ve indicated above, I think that would be the case regardless.

It’s impossible to consider every possible scenario. We can only do what we think is best, with the information we have now.

#40 LostInDaydreams, Apr 23, 2019