1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Falling back into hetero life...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by L8bloomer, Apr 14, 2019.

1. L8bloomer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I had come to the point where I decided I was going to leave, it was just a question of timing. Last few weeks or so, I feel myself slipping back into hetero wife/mom/suburbia life. It’s not unpleasant... but I feel like I’m losing something that I had sort of a glimpse of. Like, the moment is gone. I don’t know. It’s hard to describe this feeling... it’s like fallling back into something and it feels comfortable.

I still love my husband and our life, and I’m not sure I want to leave it all. Sex with him is alright... it’s nice to be with someone, to feel someone. It’s not what it was with a woman, I know that... it never will be. It’s rather one-sided. But is that worth breaking up my family and leaving a secure situation? Over sex and emotional intimacy? Now that I’m finally starting to get over the woman relationship I lost, I’m not sure I want to go there again. It hurt so, so much. And I don’t even believe I could feel that way about someone again. So why bother?

Tightrope and mattblack like this.
  2. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well. We are conditioned that the hetero-normative lifestyle is what we are supposed to do. So, it can feel comfortable and easy. The alternative...to give up family and an "alright" relationship for the unknown is pretty scary and a lot to take in. Maybe you would never find what you had once. But, maybe you will find more.

The way I try to look at my life is to look at it through the eyes of my eighty year old future self. What will I want to have as memories of my life when it is near the end? Then I try and make those memories a reality. Only you can decide that.

3. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It isn't about sex and emotional intimacy, it is about AUTHENTICITY. If your husband only found life with you "alright" and was only keen to stay with you so he didn't have to face his true feelings/identity in fear of actually experiencing true love and the heartbreak (that often inevitably) come with it, would you want him to stay with you? Wouldn't you feel like he is partially robing you from your opportunity to find true love with someone who loves you for you and doesn't crave something you cannot give them? If your children were married and unhappy/closeted, wouldn't you want them to find it in them to get out of their marriage and actually be themselves? Would you genuinely advise your kids to stay in their marriage for the sake of "security"?

You aren't breaking up your family, kids don't need their parents to live in the same house to feel like a proper family. What they need are parents who are happy, no kid wants their parents to stay together for their sake, kids know when that's the case and it causes way more damage than having parents happily co-parenting. You are your kids' role model, you will (and probably already do) want them to grow into confident adults who embrace their identity and have the strength to walk away from a marriage that doesn't fulfill them, show them the way. Teach them that you can love and care about someone and that a mariage doesn't have to be abusive to not be fulfilling and that it's still okay to leave (because it is), teach them that while coming out is hard and daunting being true to yourself and learning to love who you are is paramount and worth burning a few bridges and going through a few heartaches. In other words, be the person you would want them to be.

So many young people end up remaining in abusive and unhappy marriages because we, as a society, have created this fake idea that marriage should be for life and that splitting up is the worst thing parents can do to their children. Teaching them that staying in an unhappy marriage is okay, is probably the worst thing one can do to their kids.

If you do not love your husband, leave him, he can still be your best friend and a companion of life as well as the perfect co-parent but you do not have to remain married to him or keep having sex with him to keep the family unit going. He deserves someone who genuinely want a life with him, not just the security that come from being with him, and you deserve to experience dating someone you love and genuinely want to be with.

Life's too short to remain unhappy, your kids will move out eventually and build their own life but the years you waste in a situation you hate you will never get back.

4. Halflife

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I get your situation totally. It sucks. I like to imagine my epitaph, what it will be if I carry on as I am, or what it could be if I choose to be my authentic self. Then I imagine the people I love reading both of them, and I imagine the one they'd want to read, because they love me, right? It's probably silly but it helps.

5. L8bloomer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @Nickw and @Halflife - you both talked about what I want at the end of my life and beyond. I've thought about that quite a lot. And I still can't answer that. On the one hand, I'd like to be authentic and unafraid. I'd like to show my kids an example of strength and maybe, eventually, a loving relationship. But on the other hand, I want stability for my kids and husband. And I don't even know what "authentic" means for me yet... every time I think I do, I second guess myself. I'm waiting for the magic answer, the a-ha moment/epiphany. I know it won't happen and I need to follow my heart. My heart is just confused.

Luria77 likes this.
  6. L8bloomer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you. Of course you are right. But interestingly, although I WOULD want my husband to be happy if the situation were reversed - even if it was not with me - I honestly don't know if he feels the same. I think he's really terrified of divorce because his parents had a horrible experience and both handled it very poorly. And, he loves me. He was reading about mixed-orientation marriages (it's a thing, apparently) and was telling me how he read of a couple where the guy was straight and the woman was a flat-out lesbian, but they stayed together because they were best friends and still loved each other and had a life together. And they even had sex - allegedly as a way to show their love to each other. I found that sort of sweet but sort of unbelievable, and I question how happy that woman really is. But the point is, my husband had told me this and I felt like it was his attempt to convince me this could still work.

I think what makes this so hard is that we really do love each other, and we've been together so long and do have a life. Our kids are happy. We don't fight much. We enjoy each other's company and like doing nice things for each other. I worry about him. On the surface, all our friends think our marriage is wonderful. And it is - except for this one thing. Which is a pretty big thing :/

I don't know... I think the other reason I feel like I'm in limbo is that I do second-guess myself about my orientation. I always thought I was bi, until I thought maybe I wasn't. It's just that I feel like I'm about 90% lesbian. Is that other 10% just the residual hetero-normative stuff and the genuine love for my husband? Is it enough to make me stay? I don't know any of the answers... yet.

Thanks for listening folks :slight_smile:

7. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you have to just keep working through it. Have you seen a therapist at all?

8. L8bloomer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks - I do see a therapist and she's been great. LGBT work is not her specialty but she's done a lot of work in that area. She also knows me really well as I've been seeing her for years. Last year when my sexuality stuff really blew up, she actually recommended a lesbian therapist to me. I saw her several times and it was helpful, and at that point I did feel like I'm most likely gay. But then it was like, ok, so what do I do with that knowledge? In any case, I probably do need to keep working through it. I know this stuff is not easy for anyone, especially those of us later in life with so much to gain, but also a lot to lose.

9. Fuzzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's something you'll have to decide for yourself. I know that even when I feel like I've slipped back into a comfortable routine, something will happen that brings all the stress to the forefront. For me, this life isn't sustainable because even when it feels "comfortable," there's stress bubbling just below the surface from the fact that I have to force myself into a life that no longer fits.

LostInDaydreams and L8bloomer like this.
  10. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes very true. Its true that only you can make that decision and that the right thing for one person, might not be the right thing for another.
    I think it is always difficult to decide whether you should risk leaving comfort. If your relationship was bad, it would almost make the decision, not easy but perhaps easier.

L8bloomer likes this.
  11. L8bloomer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, so true. During my recent “comfortable” phase, I’ve also been slipping with my eating and drinking. So maybe part of my “comfort” is the numbing. And - I keep coming back to these boards...

12. regkmc

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi L8 bloomer, I appreciate hearing your experience.....I think I’m very similar except I’m the guy. One thing that you don’t seem to have, and I admire, is the shame for any attraction to the same sex. That’s something I’m working on in therapy. It does seem interesting when I read these boards that many women don’t seem to be hung up with the same kind of shame that I can feel for attraction to a man.....it just adds another layer to the difficulty of considering a different life than suburban Dad and husband.

13. Fuzzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Exactly. Sometimes "comfortable" means "numb," and that's no way to live (or at least not long term).

14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sure the relationship you lost was painful. It has obviously caused you to keep things in freeze frame, not wanting to venture into that area. What caused it to unravel? How long did it last? There are difficulties with same sex partners and difficulties with opposite sex partners. There are different sets of issues at play. Neither is a bed of roses. You may want to look at what works for the short term but also what will work for the long run. Have you gone to any sort of counseling for what is going on at home and for addressing issues over relationships you're having and have had?

15. L8bloomer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I get that. I can see how there would be less shame for women... lesbians have always intrigued straight men - to a point. I think they seem to enjoy the thought and visual, but not so much a real-life actual couple spending a life together. I’ve also always considered myself bi and I had sexual experiences with a girl in my 20s, so it’s always been a part of me. That being said, I do worry about the current political climate and the actual risks of coming out now (I’m in the US). It wouldn’t be a dealbreaker, but it’s not the most accepting of times.

16. L8bloomer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’ve been in therapy for many years. The woman relationship I had fell apart mainly because of her commitment issues and homophobia. She said she wanted a life with me, but when I told her I would leave my husband, she freaked out. She was my first and only woman sexual partner, and we had been together in our 20s and reunited again. She was also my best friend for most of my life. So it definitely felt like a huge betrayal. The saddest part is that I know she felt the same for me, but her other issues were too big. So that still stings a bit.

Anyway, I know I wasn’t perfect either and I’ve reflected on what I’d do differently with another woman. I was very jealous and read into everything. I wanted to be with her all the time.

As for my husband, we’ve had our share of issues too, and we have been to counseling and it was super helpful. We actually get along great and are good friends and partners. It’s just lacking that something.

17. L8bloomer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes. Comfortably Numb!

18. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From what I’ve seen on EC, having “comfortable” phases isn’t untypical. I had them too - wrote a whole thread on feeling “safe” in my current relationship. By “safe”, I meant that it was familiar and I knew what to expect, and that I didn’t have to think about (what seemed to be all) the horrible realities and impossible practicalities of leaving my partner. I thought about women still, but just rationalised that leaving wasn’t an option for any number of reasons and that I was better off where I was, so I could avoid thinking about the painful transition period between the life I had and the one I really wanted.

It is a lot to process, so maybe we just need a break from time to time. Don’t be hard on yourself. It’ll be easier once the ball is rolling.

19. L8bloomer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you! :slight_smile:

LostInDaydreams likes this.
  20. jsm

jsm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi @L8bloomer -
    My husband found a support group for the straight spouse in mixed orientation marriages. He dives full force into research when faced with anything, so I’m sure he’s read and heard much of what your husband has. Similarly (after some really rough patches) he has been really trying to keep everything normal and loving. I’m sure he’s terrified. He has said he will not leave me.

But that just makes it harder. I feel all you are saying here. Including the comfortably numb piece. I’ve definitely been numbing myself. It’s hard to see the other side.

Meander and L8bloomer like this.