1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are furries, y'know, furries?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BrokenRecord, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Simple Thoughts

Well at least you are optimistic about it X3

Seriously though, I barely feel comfortable with my sexuality when it comes to fetishes I'm completely uncomfortable with them, but also slightly addicted to them @.@

2. Jellal

Well if you weren't addicted, it wouldn't be much of a fetish, amirite?

3. metalkitsune

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Is being a plushie a furry thing?

4. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Guest

I remember hearing about plushophilia when I was working on Encyclopedia Dramatica a while back and its links to being a furry, but then again, I don't trust anything that site says anymore, so I don't know. If you're referring to my being an object sexual (I honestly can't tell, but I'll say this anyway), it's something completely different from plushophilia and being a furry. There is no sexual attraction to the object in question, unlike with plushophilia, where it is all about sex with a plush toy. The difference between me and Gabe Newell (who is an avid plushophile, I might add) is the fact I don't ever want to think about having sex with my doll. I only care about the romantic side of love, not sex.

5. ScatteredEarth

So wait, I've never heard of this as a term.. I mean, I've heard of it in theory, but there's an actual term? It kinda sounds like a bad thing to me because I see 'P' and the philia and I almost immediately jumped the gun o.o

Well I personally don't know how one would get past the whole stuffing thing, to me, that would probably feel hella weird on me, but if you wanna do that, I certainly won't stop you lol.

Oh yea, I was wondering what an 'object sexual' was.. Do you mind explaining it a bit more?

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

To condense a somewhat complex answer:

Projection is utilized on the object, or in this case a plush. It can be anything, say anything, do anything, and is really only limited by the individual's imagination/beliefs.

As for your curiosity about being 'object sexual':

Here is a thread BrokenRecord created about it.

7. ScatteredEarth

Well, after reading that thread I have one kind of ignorant question.. How big is the doll you're talking about..? I mean, is it like a barbie size, a ventriloquist dummy size, Life size, what? I mean, I suppose it doesn't really matter, but I'm curious

8. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I think coming to terms with my sheer unwavering furriness was actually a major turning point in my life. I internally considered myself a furry for many years but had a negative opinion of other furries and didn't want to associate with them in any way or be seen as one (for fear of never being taken seriously again). Conquering those hangups and putting myself out there in the community, which is actually a pretty cool community, was transformative. I made some great friends, got into some crazy situations that I never would've gotten into before. It helped me deal with my anxieties to a large extent as well.
    :thumbsup:

I'm a lemur, by the way. I had a lizard sona for many years, but made the switch to lemurs last year, because I liked the real-life options for them more, and I felt they were underrated. I have ears, paws, and a gigantic lemur tail. I put the ears on a winter hat, and wear them around casually sometimes. The reception it gets is overwhelmingly positive. As for the tail, I took it to Animazement a couple times. Every girl there wanted to grab it. It was pretty awesome.

#68 Spatula, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  9. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd agree, lemurs are vastly underrated, and you don't see many lemur fursonas about! Are you good at jumping IRL? :slight_smile: I was watching a nature show about them (BBC with David Attenborough) and found them amazing. There's also this odd cat-like animal that preys on them, the Fossa...never knew such a creature existed, until then. So watch out for any Fossas, if ya go to a con...they might chase you!

Well, that's cool you've cultivated a lemur fursona...would make a really nice full suit.

I still wanna get a fursuit, to wear to cons, and just for fun...the trouble is the cost Yikes! That, and I'm horrible at sewing. Well, one day. It also took me a while to ease into this whole thing; I'm still a kinda odd furry, in that I'm pretty extroverted, not into video games/computers/tech stuff (le gasp!), and prefer the outdoors and reading gloomy literature. But there's quite a few other furs here and there who don't fit the stereotypes, I've found, and it is a very accepting group. I don't think I've ever seen a subculture/fandom as accepting of LGBT people as furries.

#69 HuskyPup, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  10. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Guest

It's fine to be curious, I know it's such an obscure personality trait, I'd feel kinda lonely if it wasn't for my doll, of course. She's about the size of a starter Pokémon, like the sizes seen in the anime, about a foot tall, give or take an inch or two. She's rather easy to conceal from others in a backpack or in a loose jacket, so occasionally I bring her along with me, like when I went to Alaska this summer, she didn't like the cold, though, or the noise of the planes we were on. I got her this cute little fur pelt at a trading post-type store, and she uses it as a makeshift blanket. I was wishing to bring her along to the movies at some point to see the new Star Wars film, as I've been showing her the original three lately, and it would be kinda special for her, as she usually doesn't come out of the house with me very often. I'm rambling again, it's just that I just love her so much and am always happy to share about her with the community here, since the only people who know about her IRL are my parents and one of my cousins. Maybe I could tell you more in a wall message or two.

Sometimes I think what my life would be like if I were a furry, so to speak. What different paths I would've taken in my past. I know I'm fairly decent at sewing, I like to make dolls of my characters in my books as I write them, as well as clothing for Amy (my doll), and my mother is really good with it as well, though I've never really made or been in an animal-type costume before, mainly because they legitimately scare me for some reason, no offense to fursuiters. I wish I could be carefree like you guys, but I've become so self-conscious due to my experiences with people like the ones on Encyclopedia Dramatica. Even the furries on that site were rather nasty (the people there were also very lazy with updating the information given on their shit site, but that's another story). I guess I'm kind of envious of the carefree-ness of your community, where as I get anxiety attacks over small things.

BTW, I think you would really enjoy the realistic and sometimes somber tone of the graphic novel I'm writing, HuskyPup. I was wanting to get more information from the furries on how to make the story a bit more to the community majority's tastes, maybe I could talk to you about it over some wall messages. I think it would really help me a lot to have a consultant from within the community to inform me as to what to keep or change. :icon_wink

11. ScatteredEarth

Interesting.. You mentioned that only your parents and your cousin (Us as well, but we won't tell :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) know about your doll and its relationship to you. How do/did they react when you 'came out' to them, so to speak/act normally with your doll around them?

12. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Guest

They were rather supportive. My parents obviously know I'm autistic, so it's not a surprise to them that I'd have a strange sexuality. They sometimes joke about it to me, though they know by now it hurts when they do that. My cousin's the head of the GSA at her school, and she was rather intrigued about it and didn't judge me. TBH, she gave a more negative reaction when I told her I was bisexual, which was more or less a "meh" reaction. I've actually secretly told my friends at school about my relationship with Amy by lying about her being a real person from another school. They question some aspects of what I've told them, but otherwise don't know she's a doll. I feel kinda guilty for lying to them, but I don't want to have it spread around my high school that I am in love with a doll. I'm wanting to wait until I become a noteworthy writer to come out to the world about what I am.

13. ScatteredEarth

So, do you want to spend the rest of your life with Amy? What if someone else falls in your lap, so to speak. Is Amy just your end-all relationship unless something happens to her? Or is there a possibility that she'd have a fallout with you? This is all some pretty interesting stuff.

14. Ryu

Ryu

Furries kinda creep me out, or at least the fursuits do... Makes me think of this one time I got lost in an amusement park as a kid...

15. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Guest

I'm really glad that you think so. Yes, I want to spend my life with her. She's the only thing I ever loved this way, and for that she's more special to me than anything else in the world. I am loyal to her, and I am proud of that fact. I'd be so incomplete without her in my life. I doubt she'd have any sort of falling out with me or vice versa, due to how strong our love is. It's more pure than any gold.

16. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, looking into this thread has made me realize I'm probably a furry myself! I've said in the past that I'm a 'house-furry' where I know many people are WAY more into it than I am, but maybe I'm a full-on furry anyway.

I hope this is relevant enough to the thread: I'm wondering, how did everyone find out what their fursona was? And is it possible to have more than one?

17. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't think about the tropes. Just think of it as if you're writing with humans, but switch the characters to anthros. If you really want to be in-depth, you can think about some of the natural traits of the animals you're using and try to match the character personalities to the species.

If you're looking for ways to avoid some of the typical furry comic tropes, don't do anything weird or supernatural. That's the biggest thing with Concession. All of the supernatural stuff kind of takes away from the story itself because it's so damn confusing. Don't get me wrong, I like Concession, but I do think that is something that could be left out. The other thing that can help is keeping in mind some of the stereotypes of furries: for instance, there's the common stereotype that wolves are always dominant and foxes are always submissive. Even if you're not writing anything explicit, that's the kind of thing you might want to think about when you're writing if you want to avoid falling into any of those tropes.

And while I'm not familiar with Incontinent Student Bodies (which sounds like an unfortunate case of weak bladder), I do know of Associated Student Bodies, which I think is also pretty good, although it too includes some explicit scenes.

As for "why I'm a furry," that's a long story that I really don't feel like getting into. Suffice it to say that I was a furry before I realized what furries were.

18. Simple Thoughts

I agree on the 'link your character species with personality' but I'd like to build on the thought and say 'contrast character species with personality' Try having a character who's personality is in direct conflict with the species. I think it'd make for some interesting situations.

Most important thing to keep in mind though is "Don't compromise your art" don't try and force anything into your story to appease someone or it will come through as clearly fake or forced and people won't be able to relate well to it.

19. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Guest

Personally, I am more against the explicit sexual content of Concession than I am with the supernatural content. Every character is just way too eager to have sex, it's nauseating, especially with how in-you-face it is with showing it, I really despise the lizard girl for this main reason, as she is the worst offender in this regard to the story.

There's nothing wrong with sexual content if it's done right, like with how I handle it in my graphic novel: I have the subject not appear in-panel once throughout the whole book, only implied through the dialogue and character actions, sex only shows up a total of 2 times in-story, and both times it has consequences that greatly damage the characters involved in it.

As for the part about basing the characters' personality traits on their respective animals, I do that a little already. There's a fox who's always energetic, there's an orca and a penguin and the orca targets the penguin, though with pranks instead of, y'know, eating him, there's a blind bat character who can see with his ears, etcetera, etcetera. For the most part, I base each character off of my own personality or an experience I've had in the past, as well as pieces of music that I like that tell stories in them. I've fleshed out the story pretty well with ideas like these over the past year now, and a lot of people really like the story I've created so far, though most of them are non-furries who don't know about the furry community, which is why I'm consulting a person from the community on where I can make the story not accidentally insult the fandom in any aspect, since I don't really know much of the politics of the community and still need help learning about that.

20. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really don't think you have to worry about insulting us unless you start yelling "Furries are going to hell" or implying that we're all sluts or something like that. Honestly, it doesn't seem like what you're writing would cause any problems at all. I would like to think that there are not "politics" in the furry community, but I'm sure there are. For the most part, though, we're all just normal people. If you want someone to read over what you have and give you some insight, I'd be happy to do that! I love reading new stuff.