1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are furries, y'know, furries?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BrokenRecord, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Simple Thoughts

That sucks :c

2. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Guest

The best I can do without linking to Encyclopedia Dramatica is this:

>F40PH | Know Your Meme<

I read a little bit of it, and it might be that the charcoaled fursuit power thing might have been just a rumor on ED, since that's where I remember it from. I guess I can just dump all the info I learned from that site from my brain now, as it appears most if not all of it is false.

3. Simple Thoughts

So some kinda troll thing?

4. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Guest

Exactly. It was just that people like me had made it a personal vendetta against the community and took it too far, instead of pretending it is just some kind of sick game like most trolls.

5. Simple Thoughts

Again the past is the past. Put it behind you ^^

6. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Guest

I know, it's what I've been working on ever since I came to this site. Like I originally said, I'm turning a new leaf with the community.

7. Simple Thoughts

Cool, but don't feel like you have to.

Just be you and do what you do.

If you aren't gonna troll furries no more than that's all that matters :slight_smile:

8. metalkitsune

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    One thing i wonder though is where the furry girls are at. I have seen furry boys and girls at furry cons holding hands. But it seems on some furry sites,the women seem to be hiding or something.

9. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

That may have to do with the likelihood of, when a woman does reveal herself online, she is bombarded by men. There's also the being treated differently, too, which can be really annoying and even dehumanizing.

There's plenty of reasons women would hide.

10. Simple Thoughts

The furry fandom is like 80% male, mainly because of the way that public perceives furries.

---------- Post added 8th Sep 2015 at 09:15 PM ----------

I have that happen to me all the time in this fandom and I'm a guy XD

It's kinda sad though cause people like that hold us back considerably.

11. Drednaught

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We are all people, we make mistakes. If you honestly know that you were doing something that was rude and understand that it wasn't a good thing to do, then I think it's fair to say that you (and other people that followed the same path) should not be punished for it, and should instead accept the fact that mistakes were made, and that you (and others) should adjust your actions accordingly. (which is what I've seen you do according to your posts, but I also think you shouldn't beat yourself up over your previous actions) It's like what Simple Thoughts said, you should leave the past behind you.

#31 Drednaught, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  12. Simple Thoughts

What he said.

13. metalkitsune

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Anyone think though that weasyl seems to be a better site to introduce someone to the fandom then FA?

14. Jay Dinosaur

Out Status:
    Some people
    Some prefer to label themselves as simply drawing anthropomorphic animals rather than furries.
    As Simple Thoughts said, the community is often given a hard time because of the media, which naturally, being the media, chooses to present the minority of the fandom which may be more attention-grabbing for people outside the community.
    For the large majority of furs, being a fan of anthro animals has absolutely nothing to do with anything sexual at all.

15. metalkitsune

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Yup. I have noticed that myself. And it seems those who aren't in the fandom fall into stereotypes and believe everything that everyone else besides people in the fandom know what actually happens in the fandom. Some actual research could really prove some people are so wrong. They shouldn't assume they know everything about a fandom or what goes on in a fandom if they don't know the proper facts from people that actually know it. Not some CSI episode or tv show explanation. the truth is that those shows choose the worst people of a fandom to be on the shows, because they know people will buy it. Until someone meets someone who knows inside details about a fandom,they shouldn't talk about things they don't understand.

16. ScatteredEarth

I think it's kind of offensive to assume that furries are simply a fetish, like someone else pointed out, it's mostly just a group of people who've taken a liking to anthropomorphic animals in either media, or real life incarnations (fur suits and such) Granted there are the minority that do partake in such indulgences and there is some stuff that's truly just.. out there, but again, it's a minority, or, as in most cases, the one that catches the most eyes for being the most 'different'. It's like that in all groupings, whether you be a furry, a comic lover, a japan-addict, hell even being LGBT.

There's an image that gets popularized, but it's usually just the skin of the apple. As for your 'past sins' I really wouldn't sweat it too much, I mean, you're 17 now, you were probably (I'd assume) even younger when you did that, the important thing is you've moved on, there's not really much you can do to appease that short of going to random furry's doors and giving them cookies or something.

All that being said, I don't really consider myself a furry lol, but it follows the same path as all niches and groups. If you're really interested to learn more about it, there was a pretty interesting video I saw the other month entitled "Why do Furries Exist" and I'll link it below if you want to see it.

[YOUTUBE]WhDHx6Cisdg[/YOUTUBE]

17. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Guest

Thank you for this specific post, it was very insightful and made me feel a little better. It genuinely brought me one step further into being comfortable with the furry community. :icon_bigg

One of the things I am doing for the benefit of the community is again my graphic novel I'm writing, a realistic college drama. I have researched about a lot of furry webcomics in the past that are quite tripe to see where others go wrong, and try to use the reverse of what those webcomics' authors used that made them so awful. So far, almost everyone I've shared my unfinished product with absolutely loves it, furry and non-furry alike. I just really want to give the furry community something that isn't a blatant fetish comic to read.

I might actually have to check that video out. I never would've found it myself, since I'm so afraid of getting furry related content in my search engine. Remember, I'm still trying to get over my fears of the community. Now if only I could find a way to get over my fear of fursuits, but that might take a miracle, as most animal-related costumes of any kind tend to scare me. :confused:

18. Simple Thoughts

Oooo I remember that video X3

19. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll have to write a longer post sometime, but as a furry I love so many aspects of the fandom, and it's something that's been very liberating to me, in ways that are spiritual, creative, humorous, artistic, imaginative, primal, sexual, romantic and combinations of these.

I'll have to expand on things when I have time.

I've been a furry for about 10 years now; my first fursona was an Alaskan Malamute, and then, I adopted a striped skunk as my 'primary' fursna/alter-ego. When I role-play, I have used other characters; a mongoose, a fox, a raccoon.

The whole thing has broken down a lot of barriers, and made me feel more open to life, but again, I'm short on time, & just wanted to pop in and say hi...and try to turn others into furries, so they obey my evil wishes! :eek:

More soon! :evil:

#39 HuskyPup, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  20. Simple Thoughts