1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writers! Come and Talk About Writing!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by 101DeadRoses, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like to write lots of short stories, mainly dystopian ones ... they're so fun ... and yet could be real ... so kind of scary.

2. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I write fanfiction... how much does that count? I think it's helped me develop my writing style a lot, so maybe if I come up with a good idea for a story I could write it. I just don't have much patience for things like that :frowning2:

3. WolfyFluff

WolfyFluff Guest

Writing daily helps. The skill improves the more you do it, the more you study it, and the more you read.

4. NamingIsHard

I had this idea for a while about this fantasy/sci-fi thingy. I am way too lazy to write it fully, but I like developing the concept.

So basically it is about this small community where it is permanently night time and every time a child is born, a star appears on the horizon. This star moves in a steady pace to the other end of the sky and when a person dies, the star disappears on the horizon.
    This makes for a bunch of rules in this world. For example, instead of smartphones they have "pocketstar". Using basic measurements it can show you how much time you have left and it expanded to have many more features the same way our smartphones have many features. I want to call this story "A thousand stars", because the government in this universe monitors the birth/death rates to make sure there are always a thousand stars in the sky and a thousand people living. If there would be too many people, the sky would get cluttered and they wouldn't be able to track their stars.

The story follows a 20 year old girl who married a guy early because he only had 20 years. After he dies she decides to go on a journey to the horizon of death to find out where the stars go after they set. The story would basically go through a bunch of set pieces and scenes relating to how different people are affected by this world.

#284 NamingIsHard, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sounds insane! Maybe even movie-worthy if you chose to pursue it.

6. 101DeadRoses

That is... very amazing...
    I can't control your life by any means, but please please please PLEASE do the world a favor and write that book! I understand your "laziness" as a writer, but I am begging you on behalf of all book-reading people to PLEASE write it! I can help you along the way, if you'd like, but PLEASE! You have no idea what a success that book would be, either!

If you are interested in writing it, try just writing out the outline, then writing just fifty words a day.
    If you're not interested in writing it, then please talk to me and tell me stories about the people in that world, because I really want to hear them!

7. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It sounds like a solid starting point, and definitely original. If you decide to go for it, be patient with yourself. Don't feel discouraged if you only get a small amount of writing done in a day.

I want to write a character who is Taoist, but I have little personal knowledge of Taoism. Does anyone have suggestions on where to start my research?

8. NamingIsHard

Thanks for the motivation! I started writing it now. Wish me luck!

9. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your story sounds amazing to me. Good luck with it (*hug*)

I know little about it as well, but when I was doing religious studies as a class, BBC Religions was a good site I used. I believe if you search up Taoism on Google it's one of the first links that comes up. It has some good basic information. I also saw a website called personaltao- I'm not sure how good it is but it seems to have quite a bit on it.

Personally one of the best ways to do research (not the only one, but a good one), is to talk to people who are actually- in your case, Taoist. Do you have any friends or a way to ask people online to give some insight on their beliefs?

Sorry I don't have any really detailed replies for this. But good luck on your research. When in doubt, hit the library too. Although it's much faster to do it online, published books still do have their authenticity, and can usually give some good comprehensive information- usually reliable as well.

--

I don't have much to say about my writing, but I guess one of my biggest insecurities is that I write quite dark stories- a few in the horror genre too, ironically, for someone who is quite scared of traditional horror movies and stories- and I get too unhappy with them to publish them online, even if I think they're really good. They always seem too disturbing no matter how well I write them, even though I know they objectively aren't even that dark. I then go back and try to nitpick and censor out most of it, but then it really lacks the punch or message I was going for.

I mean I love writing all sorts of genres, I just never got past the "so this writing is way too dark to post online or show anybody, what in the world would they think" stage for my darker stories that usually deal with really heavy themes. I think it's also partially because my parents weren't too happy when I wrote that kind of stuff when I was slightly younger, they always said I should just try writing happy things and were never too happy with me exploring anything darker, or more serious issues. I definitely can write happier things, but it's not the only area I like exploring with writing.

Oh well, working on that. My favourite thing is combining genres though, so that it isn't pure horror or pure adventure or anything, a mixture of it all.

#289 Alder, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  10. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm thinking ... I have pleanty ideas for dystopian stories, one I've done 15 pages on, but if I get old and don't finish them, I'll put my ideas in a book that anyone can use. That way, the idea is still alive and still gives off its warning to society.

11. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That does sound like a really good idea. Finished or not, some ideas deserve to be preserved and passed on. But anyhow, best of luck with the writing. Hope you get to finish something in due time!

12. WolfyFluff

WolfyFluff Guest

Would it be wise to know your ending when you start out the story during the prewriting process?

13. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Finally got back on track last night with my short story I've been working on for weeks. Was up until two in the morning working on it and now I've got a pretty solid idea of where I want it to go. [​IMG]

Now I've just got to wake up a little more so I can work on it more without drag-assing through it. Writing when half-asleep doesn't work for me.

14. WolfyFluff

WolfyFluff Guest

Getting past that little hurdle is always a relief. Not writing kind of sucks at times, but having breaks can be good still. It's good that you're back on track with your story. Wish I could say the same.

15. 101DeadRoses

AAAHHH! YAY! I wish you VERY good luck! Just let me know if you get stuck on a scene or get writer's block, I can help with pretty much anything you need. Just message me and I'll help the best I can, and if all else fails, recommend someone better. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 13th Nov 2015 at 09:43 PM ----------

Florestan, I'd suggest googling books on Taoism, speaking to people who know more about it, and going to the Wikipedia page to see if any media on Taoism more accurate than Wikipedia comes up. :slight_smile:
    And if you need any character development or other writing tools, let me know and I'll gladly send you some. :slight_smile: (*hug*)

---------- Post added 13th Nov 2015 at 09:45 PM ----------

I feel ya. :/
    Been unable to write reliably for quite some time now due to craziness and my life and my own personal laziness...

I'd recommend chocolate milk in SMALL quantities all throughout the day, if you can have it. It wakes me up, and I've heard tell that it works twice as well as energy drinks! :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 13th Nov 2015 at 09:58 PM ----------

No. Dialogue's very VERY tricky. It took me forever to get out of the rut of just plain describing something through the words of the character and into the rut of having the character describe something, that is, having them be less of a puppet for words and more of their own person.
    I'd explain the ins and outs to you now, but that would be a small book in and of itself and I have no time for that ATM so I'll give you this until I can return and offer more advice:
    Know your character, and they will speak, move, act, react and live independently.
    Know their age, their generation, their upbringing and background, know as much as you can about them until you understand them as a person (keep digging even deeper if wanted) and they will BECOME a person. Best case scenario, you'll be able to visualize them in their current situation and the world they're in better and better until you no longer NEED to visualize them, and they live in your book's universe like a person in our universe. Worst case scenario... they'll be a little easier to predict and think of as human, so you can visualize the scene and what they say more accurately.
    Basically, in practically EVERY aspect of writing, the world revolves around characters. Well and thoroughly developed characters take on a life of their own, and so become the life of the book.

Well, that turned out to be a small book even by itself, but still... :/

16. RainDreamer

Dialogue is hard to write without them sounding artificial. So I suggest you going out and harvesting organic dialogues! Put on headphones, but don't play anything, and sit in public places: on the bus, in the park, at some coffee shops, etc., and listen to people talking around you. They won't think you are eavesdropping them if you have the headphones on! It is a great way to have a feel of how people actually talk to each other.

Always do this. For everything you write, not just ideas. I have been able to recycle and reuse countless phrases and wordplay and ideas into my later writing from stuff I wrote long ago. You never knew what will spark your muse when re-reading old stuff.

#296 RainDreamer, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  17. Jellal

Yep, it's a good idea to hang on to old ideas. I have dozens and dozens of cluttered files, but incidentally I was thinking the other day "huh, this old thought I had this one time could be pretty good for the story I'm working on." So I went back pawing through files to find it, lo and behold it had everything I needed.

BTW, I think I've mentioned it before, but I've found that role-playing my own characters is the best way to get into their heads and figure out what would be the most interesting dilemmas to throw at them.

18. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Kind of a random thing to throw out there, but after I finish writing these short stories I'm thinking of having a go at writing a play. I've studied a few before and I've always been interested in writing one, but I have little experience. Still, it's something I'd definitely want to try.

19. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    NaNo is actually helping me so much. I haven't really done that much creative writing lately, so this enforced writing means I'm getting a lot of practice and I'm really getting some muses back. I even like some of the stuff I'm writing.

20. RainDreamer

Great video about word choices with great examples:
    [YOUTUBE]RSoRzTtwgP4[/YOUTUBE]