1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writers! Come and Talk About Writing!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by 101DeadRoses, Mar 5, 2015.

1. 101DeadRoses

I hate to tell you, but I think Lunaris is already a book series. It's either Lunaris or the Lunar Chronicles.
    Sorry. Just trying to save you a legal storm. :/

2. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd go with the puppets' perspective; like they're sentient puppets or something. It might be a lot more interesting.

3. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wrote this poem about my crush and I might give it to her someday but not anytime soon. I'm just gonna post it here. (On the doc I made it in, I made a lot of the words in color and it's really pretty but it looks really bland on here sadly :frowning2: ) I also like writing longer poetry so it's a little long (about a page)

It’s hard to remember
    When we first met.
    Feels like you just crashed into my life
    Said a simple “Pardon me!”
    And moved on in
    Making yourself comfortable.

Rowdy days on the playground
    Sparks of fiery youth in your eye
    Coming down from the high
    That the chilling October winds gave us
    Your words and movements etched into me forever.

Many an autumn
    And many a spring go by
    Frost melts, the sun comes out and scorches the earth
    The cycle repeats.
    Over.
    And over.
    And over again.
    Time moves on
    Children turn to adolescents
    The sparks gone from their eyes
    Replaced by a flame of defiance.
    The most bubbly and talkative
    Turn into the most quiet
    The cowards
    Become the heroes.

We stopped playing in the playground like children
    Part of me wants to remember
    Part of me wants to forget
    Part of me wishes I could live it all over again
    I wish I knew
    What I felt for you
    Before we started to split apart.

Now is now
    The past is the past
    And the future is the future
    Glimpses of it are seen in the present.
    I know now how I feel
    And I think you might know too
    Reading emotions and thoughts is not my strong suit.

So here I am, maybe you’ll understand too
    How I feel.
    For you.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Toy Story? I think it would be much more awesome if the puppeteer knows his puppets are alive and they have to work together over any disagreements that come up, as well as keep their uncommonly egalitarian relationship a secret. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Puppet Master says hi.

6. Chloe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for creating this thread! I haven't read every word, but there seems to be some great discussion and very helpful information about writing. Even though there are writing forums elsewhere, it's nice to have a little corner for us on EC.

Participating is a bit tricky for me because I write queer erotic fiction and am not allowed to share it (or discussion of it) with underage individuals, and as a published writer, it is to my advantage to reveal my identity. The second matter is trivial, but I do have to refrain from saying things I'd post elsewhere. Even so, I want to encourage writers, and there's plenty I still need to learn.

I've had only a few short stories published so far. For now, I'm unlikely to self-publish because I like having an established publisher recognize my work.

7. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. Starts with Cinder. Given that "lunaris" and "lunar" are real words, I don't think there would be a problem.

8. rudysteiner

Nothing much to say, but I start a Script Writing course thingy this Wednesday coming and it lasts until January. I'll keep you all updated!

9. 101DeadRoses

I wish you luck!

---------- Post added 19th Sep 2015 at 12:57 PM ----------

I'm glad to hear about this! It's great that you have an outlet, and I hope that you continue to feel better!
    Write on!

10. 101DeadRoses

It depends on your genre.
    I write in horror, so this could be way different to you, but I like to hunt up scary music, games, videos, and movies, experience them and scour them for every detail. I pick out what scares me about them, and I try and find ways to use them or things like them in a story.
    Another thing I do a lot is listen to music. A lot.
    I imagine myself as a character I feel fits that song. Not how anyone else would see them, and not necessarily based exactly on the songs lyrics, but on the overall theme and feel of the song.
    Roleplay as your favorite character from a book, game or movie, and take the story in a way it never originally went. What do you think that character should have done or said differently? Where could they be different and how would it affect the story? Or how would you react in their place?
    Also, even if you come up with cliche ideas, they can still be presented in original ways...
    For instance, I'm thinking about writing my version of a nineties horror movie.
    It'd essentially be the same, only I'd tweak it so the characters actually have good ideas, but, unfortunately, so does the psycho bad guy. It evolves into a match of wits, the bad guy's traps and plans versus the good guys' ingenuity and performance under pressure.
    Also, what if there were other people who knew what was happening and were on the way to help? The good guys would be forced to wait where they could be found and fight off the bad guy, all while staying in touch with the rescue guys.

Just a few ideas.
    Essentially, write what you'd like to read.

11. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a million ideas but every time I start trying to write them into a novel (even a shorter one), I end up being unhappy with the direction it's going. "This story is too melodramatic" "This is too childish" "My writing style is too boring here" It's hard not to nitpick. I don't mind doing all the rewriting and fixing, but I wish I was happier what what I write, and I wish I could genuinely finish a novel one day.

12. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol that is literally the story of my life. I have the same problem. Just know that you'll almost NEVER be happy with anything you write (writing is never truly finished) and just keep going no matter what! :icon_bigg

13. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The trick is to have at least half or more of the plot done before you begin. That way your writing has a direction so you aren't just blithering about nothing. From there the story may begin to shape itself and will require only a little guidance to carry it to a good end.

14. 101DeadRoses

VERY WELL DONE.

I don't often like books like this, but I would definitely read this! Keep at it!

15. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I totally get that. It's so hard to be happy with your own work! Glad someone understands, let's continue writing and together we can keep going and finish something! :eusa_clap

I definitely got to work on the planning stage. My favourite thing when writing is getting an idea and diving in headfirst eyes closed and sometimes I got to not do that so much. I'll continue working on that, thanks!

#255 Alder, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  16. Hazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Same!! I have loads of ideas all the time, usually their kinda realistic or sci fi horror set in real world, their kinda sad and the main character is usually kinda broken like me. A lot of them are inspired by songs though

17. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Here's the first 2-3 pages (consider it a sample) of a book I'm working on, titled Higher DEADucation. I know, I'm so clever...

It's told through the use of journals and, at least with this shared piece, two police officers. They kind of serve to tie things together, and to draw the reader into the story.

My goal here was to take the zombie genre and do something a little different. I figured, let's just start off dark and disturbed, we'll go the route of a mass shooting. And, well, you can probably figure out where the zombies are going to come from...

See if you can spot the "tributes" to other zombie media.

The set up is pretty simple:
    One teenager, troubled and disconnected from life, decides to 'pull a Columbine' on his school. He heads to school one Tuesday and...

Joshua Groves

October 12, 2011. Tuesday. Richwake, Illinois.

Today is the day I do it. Today is the day I go into Richwake High and blow their egotistical conceitedness away. Today is the day I change my life to the way I want it - to the way it SHOULD be.

I didn't ask to be born to a drunken father, or a lazy, good-for-nothing mother. I just was, and for that I have never believed in a righteous and loving God. No, he's a power-hungry dick that likes people to compliment and praise him, even though he put disease, heartache, and violence in this world. Why should we suffer in a world we have no choice but to be born into? It is unfair, and everything opposite of what I hear Father so-and-so preach each and every Sunday. How stupid can you be?

Idiots. All of them. They die, today.

Natalie Munday

Daddy said if I make better grades this semester, I'll get that car I've always wanted. Yep, yep. Daddy treats me so good! I'm his little princess, and I don't EVER want that to change. I can handle English (I <3 YOU Mrs. Gains), but Math... uggggh!!! So lame!!!

My test is Friday, and I'm SO nervous!!!

Chris Greenfield

Mrs. Gains is making me do this, just remember that. I have to keep a STUPID journal until the end of the semester, which is beyond stupid if you ask me. Anyway... blah, blah, blah... feeling this, feeling that... school sux!!!

Darren Tones

Fuck journals.

Stacy Perkins

I'm not really sure how to begin this, but I'll try. Hi, I'm Stacy Perkins! I like softball, Katy Perry, and cooking with my mom! Um, Mrs. Gains wants us to keep a journal for this semester, so that we can look back on how we've grown as a student. I don't like writing unless I have to, but this seems like an easy A! No offense, Mrs. Gains!

xoxoxo

Prince Calamity, a.k.a. Phillip Howzer

This world is not ready for the Dark Lord that resides within me. For within my shell of flesh exists a demonic entity, whose mind boils with sulfur and madness, and whom hates Preppies with every inch of his body.

"What do you think, Chief?," asked Officer Walter, "Is it wrong for us to be looking at these?"

"What do I think? I think the world has sunk into Hell's pit, that's what I think. And because of that, I don't give a damn about going by the book with this one. All I need to know is, what happened here and if there is anything to be obtained from these journals."

"Kind of convenient, isn't it? I mean, with several teachers assigning a class project like this, with the journal and all."

The Chief snorted from his nostrils, a typical gesture that tended to precede that smirk that now formed. "I guess it is, Walter," he said, removing any sort of formality for his less-than-ranked officer, "but if we can't protect the citizens of Richwake, what good is the Richwake Police Department? Surely one of these kids wrote something useful down, we just have to find it is all."

Walter's eyebrows furrowed down - a sign of discomfort, but he endured and quickly resumed a neutral-looking poker face. "Yeah, you're right. If we can't do it, who can?"

"Sure as hell not the army. Hell, most of them are overseas! Those who remained behind haven't done much to curtail this crisis, but what can you expect? We're as wide open as a whore on Sickley Street's legs," the Chief cracked, making a joke about the Mini-Red Light District as it was called around Richwake, "and furthermore, there are no flights in and out of the country. For now, we're on our own."

911 Recording

Operator: 911. What is your eme--
    Caller: Oh my God! Oh m--
    Operator: Slow down. First, name?
    Caller: Oh m... aaaah! He's shooting! Noooo!
    Operator: Please, ma'am, calm down. I need a name before we can help y--
    Caller: HELP US! PLEASE!
    Operator: Your name?
    Caller: ... ... ... ...

That was their only initial clue about what had happened in the halls of Richwake High School. Officer Walter and the Chief of Police had no idea what occurred here only hours before, or why there was a lack of response by the paramedics. Generally the medical staff beat R.P.D. to the punch, but not today. Today, something different was going on, but what?

"No matter how we break it down, it just doesn't add up." Richwake's Police Chief was puzzled, and though he had repeated out several scenarios in his head, all of them failed to account for the one abstract element. "Bodies. For all this blood and property damage, there's no bodies."

"A cult?," Walter chimed in, "It... wouldn't surprise me. High school is a pretty ripe place for recruits, with the youth's impressionable minds and desire to fit in."

"What kind of a cult leaves no trace of their presence? They want recognition, to take the credit."

"Terrorism?"

"You'd think with all those body bags coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan, that we were making the world a safer place by leaving less terrorists. Maybe they-"

"He, sir. He, as in one.," the lower leveled one corrected, "From the recording we established it as a solo effort."

"Maybe they only saw one." This was perhaps unfortunately true, but even more unfortunate was the inability to confirm anything. Maybe the detectives would be able to do something, if they even showed up. Just like the paramedics, they hadn't quite made their presence known. "It is possible... no, it would be almost impossible for one kid to do this kind of thing. How would he have the strength to move the bodies? How bizarre is it to leave puddles of blood, and not a blood trail from relocating the corpses?"

"Maybe he didn't, sir."

Chief Langley was just silent.

Joshua Groves

6:56 AM.

Its almost time for the first bell of the school day. When it rings, I'll have a clear picking of targets. One by one I'll take them out.

Natalie Munday

A lot of talking is going on, and it has to do with an armed intruder inside the school building. I thought it was a drill until I heard shouting down the way...

Chris Greenfield

Another stupid drill? Really?!

Stacy Perkins

7:14 AM

Nervous.

Prince Calamity, a.k.a. Phillip Howzer

Totally wicked!

"Two of these have times." That helped begin to paint a picture of what happened earlier. "Groves and Perkins, sir."

"We received that call only half an hour ago, Walter. Richwake begins classes at approximately 7:05, that's over six hours ago, if Groves did pull the trigger."

"Considering the wide range of locations we've seen bullet holes, it was a very violent outburst of activity. Unless he brought an entire platoon with him, there's no way he could hold an entire school inside. He couldn't cover all the entrances and exits... someone would have escaped." In Richwake High, there was an estimated 600 students and over 50 faculty members. Somebody would have contacted the police department sooner. "All this blood on the inside, but practically nothing outside. Chief, have you considered the possibility the medics got here before us, took the bodies, and went to the hospital?"

"Could be, but... we're pretty closely communicated with the hospital. They'd have told us that."

"Their teacher - Mrs. Gains - her classroom might be able to tell us more."

Langley chuckled, "Or just confuse the hell out of us even more..."

That, Walter thought, was totally plausible.

#257 Kaiser, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  18. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks :love: I am very proud of that particular mini-fic. It isn't without things I'd change now (is any story ever? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) but I'm satisfied with it. Oddly enough I'm like you and generally don't care for the pioneer era, but the idea hit me and I had to go with it. The picture of a kid with advanced intellect and education turning up his nose at "simple things" and then getting a glimmer of understanding his father's values just made the sweetest scene.

Never thought somebody would actually comment on this XD but I am so happy to hear you liked it.

19. Embalmer

Embalmer Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm currently thinking of writing a collection of short stories called The Taboo Room. It'll be about a room(no shit) where anonymous people go to live their dark(sometimes sexual) desires. Of course, it'll cost them a lot of money, and they have to be 21 or older to play. That's all I can think of for now:lol:. But, the first short story in the collection is forty percent complete.

20. Gen

Gen

I must have skipped right over it a couple of months back. I found the use of language refreshing. The only critique that I would give is that I found myself forgetting that it was first person until the narrator would reference themselves, which can be the challenge of writing intelligent characters.

Writers who have an extensive vocabulary can easily find themselves writing characters with a voice over complex. Meaning that the perspective that the narrator has in the story is told perfectly. The diction is perfect. Their conscious of mind and the way that they organized their thoughts is perfect. Etc. Ultimately, it paints the picture of someone who is having an out of body experience and explaining the scene rather than a narrator who is actually bringing the reader into their mind and sharing a personal perspective.

~~~~~~​

As for me, I am trying to work myself out of this rut. I am about to reread and edit the chapter that I am working on and hope that I will find the energy to pick up where I left off. I am so meticulous when it comes to maintaining tone and flow when it comes to my writing that when I know that the sentences that I am writing at any given time are not living up to what was written in the previous passage, it is hard to push through it.