1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out at 31: my update

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by jnr183, May 15, 2014.

1. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks for the update Jnr!

2. aboutface

Thanks for the update, I always like hearing more from you on your journey.

For me, I really don't agree on this specifically. I think there is nothing about the message he sent that would be unusual for a platonic straight friend to say to a friend.

3. mav96213

Hey, thanks for letting us know how things are going....

4. jnr183

Thanks, all. @aboutface you are probably right. I hate that the complexity of sexuality has potentially led me into reading things that really aren't there, but also it's the complexity of sexuality that is simultaneously fun, exciting and maddening!!

5. jnr183

Just wanted to mention that I was offered the job I have been talking about and I have accepted the offer. So I am moving! Jake and I will be living in the city although this may be only a small part of the equation. Where our friendship goes from here needs to be discovered but for the most part our friendship and my romantic interest in him has fizzled. We'll see if proximity makes the heart grow fonder :wink:. I think I'm better off.

Regardless, I'm excited about this move and hopefully the opportunity to meet more guys being in a larger city and in a more stimulating job. I won't move till the fall so lots of time to prepare... stay tuned!

Thanks to everyone who has been supportive to me now and in the past. I think I will need to be more 'out' in my new city, so there are challenges ahead.

6. CyclingFan

Congratulations on the new gig and the big move! I'm sure there will be challenges ahead, but I think you're up to them. :slight_smile:

7. bi2me

Congrats! Thanks for the update

8. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Being in a larger city isn't so bad because there are likely to be more LGBT people. Really, I don't care who knows I'm bi, although I am not working now. Being out at work can be difficult. I came out last year at about this same time to several family members. The toughest thing is being out to your immediate family.

9. TTSP

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Congrats jnr you sound like you are in an almost identical position to me! I could have written that last post exactly...

10. mav96213

Big time congrads on the new job, and enjoy your new city and whatever it has to offer! Thanks for the update, much appreciated.

11. MsAnchor

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Wow, I have just gone through your thread and-
    -Kudos for acknowledging your feelings, bottling them just make things fester
    -It's sooooo hard being emotionally attached to someone and even more difficult communicating your feelings, you have done a good job in processing things with Jake while not sure if he has feelings for you
    -Moving on with your life, as difficult as it is to pretend other things are more important, your life holds priority here no one else will do it for you

I hope this move does a lot for you and sets you in the right direction

12. intro55

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Congratulations.

13. calgary

Congratulations.

14. jnr183

I suppose I could start a new thread but I figured I could weave this brief rant into my existing thread.

I found out through social media that my best friend from high school is getting married (to a woman) on Friday. I think we have all mentioned friends from our youth who ended up also being gay. I have had a few and honestly in my mind it was implicit that he was one of them. Back when I didn't really understand or accept that I was gay, I always figured he was. He was very flamboyant and his interest in females seemed very transparent. His only girlfriend from high school eventually came out as a lesbian. I was never attracted to him. I just accepted that he was probably gay.

We have lost touch over the years, more so from him not reciprocating my efforts to be in touch. I wasn't close to my high school friends but I felt like he was at the crux of me getting cut out of that group. I had plenty of other great friends so it didn't upset me too much. His mother died suddenly a couple years ago and he ignored a condolence message from me and he ignored another attempt just a few months ago. He had kind of proven to me through the test of time that he wasn't a real or even good friend.

Regardless, I was very surprised and for some reason hurt to find out that he is getting married. I suppose I hope he is happy but I'm finding myself not really feeling that way. Which makes me feel like a bad or jealous person.

Anyways, just an interesting occurrence. Have others had similar experiences?

Brief life update otherwise: I just moved out of my old town and am moving to a new city next week. I am hopeful. It has been really hard to have any LGBT experiences where I had been living. I'll be living in the same city as jake but we have drifted pretty far apart and that's ok. He does have some attractive gay coworkers though so hopefully I can get introduced to them through him...

15. Pouletto

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just went through your whole thread. Thank you for sharing your story. As i read, I was so curious about what would be happening next. I'm happy to know that you're hopeful about the new city you will be living in. Good luck.

It's a very inspiring story as I can relate to a certain extent. I'm not out yet (but I will, very soon), but I think I have feelings for a guy I met on a certain app. He's 6 years older than. We became really good friends (Friend only) since we first talked in January. He made me understand and accept myself as gay: he answered every question I had, gave me some ideas for coming out, helped me through dark days. It was a tough process for me since I was in a 5 years relationship with a girl. But now it's in the past :slight_smile:

We, my gay friend and I, used to text each other everyday up until the summer. He moved into a new appartment in July and he has been working a lot, so he doesn't have much free time.
    Now, we text once or twice a week, and I'm always iniating the conversation. Last week I texted him and didn't get a reply, so I sent him another message on Monday and he told me that he just wanted to be alone for a while, and that he feels distanced with everything in his life right now. But he assured me it was nothing personal. I'm probably overthinking all this situation, but it affects me so much.

I know he went on some dates, but it lead him to nowhere. He's very old-fashioned about relationships, he takes things slowly. As much I want to feel sad for him because his dates didn't work up, I'm actually relieved by the fact that he is still single because I can continue to imagine us getting together. He was very flirtious at the beginning of our friendship, but now, he isn't anymore. I don't really know his exact feelings. In the end, our friendship is so precious to me that I'd be happy to only have a long-term friendship with him. But it's just so hard to make these romantic feeling go away. It's the first time in my life that I feel attracted to someone this way...!

#95 Pouletto, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  16. jnr183

Good luck, Pouletto. One thing that I have found difficult in same sex dating is confusing fuzzy border between platonic and sexual interest. It seems to often not line up on both ends and has made it difficult to simply make nice good gay friends without romantic interest muddying the waters. In my new city I think I will try first to make friends before trying to start dating. It does sound like this guy isn't all about you. Make sure to value yourself. If it works out then that's great! And if it doesn't you'll have learned a lot for the next guy! I hope those are helpful words.

17. Pouletto

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you jnr183 :slight_smile: I think it's a great idea for you to make friends friends first and then to start dating.

18. steve200

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi jnr183,

I just spent the last 30 minutes or so reading through your thread with a focus on your posts. I see a lot of similarities between my situation and yours. I am out to one of the most important people in my life, my sister, in turn, I am indirectly out to my brother in law. They are supportive. I am not out to any long time friends, only some individuals I don't really know that I have met on a phone dating app that rhymes with Kinder.

I kind of have a "Jake" as well. I met him on the site I referred to above and I started crushing on him hard when we met, but then he started communicating less frequently. Anyway, last night after he left and we had been drinking some, I decided to text him how I felt. I certainly feared it would not be reciprocated, but I also had hopes it would be. However, he replied "lets try to be friends, I'm liking that". He also said I should feel free to talk about it or that he is down to talk about it. I'm bummed, but at least I know now and I must realize it is for the better. I suspect it was simply a frivolous crush because this is all so new to me and I've only recently started exploring my homosexual side that I kept closeted for so long. I think it is easy to closet that side of yourself when you're bisexual.

In any case, I feel like I am doing the right thing and feel positive about it, but it does ebb and flow. Sometimes I'll get down and other times feel very positive about it. I did meet another guy, who is the first guy I have fooled around with and I know he is into me. I think I'm quite into him, we have fun together and he makes me laugh. The only thing I'm concerned about is that I want to make more friends and date more, therefore I don't want to mislead him into thinking I'm ready to get into some heavy relationship. Not sure what to do with that situation. I just have to be cautious not to overthink things while not misleading someone that is seems quite into me. Not that I'm complaining btw!

Although bummed, I'm glad I know how "Jake" feels because you don't want to be hung up on someone when the feelings are not mutual, I guess it is just good to know.

It has definitely been a roller coaster and my main focus right now is to not overthink things and let things happen organically, if you will.

In conclusion, I feel both you and I are doing the right thing and are taking a healthy approach. I am also talking to a counselor. I still feel quite alone because I am not out to many people, but I feel I am moving in the right direction. Best of luck to you and thank you for this thread, I actually almost teared up reading your initial post, it was helpful. One thing I've learned so far is that making friends first is the way to go, the app I mentioned in the first paragraph has been frustrating because most of the people you meet just want to bang and I don't think that is going to make this any easier/better. On the other hand, the app is the catalyst that got me to where I am now and has not necessarily been a bad thing.

Thank you jnr183 and all that have contributed to this thread.

#98 steve200, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  19. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry to hear about your experience with the old "friend". I know the standard reaction is "He wasn't really your friend anyhow", which may well be true, but it doesn't make it sting any less. My college roommate and I had a complicated relationship, and we were close for 3 years, and yet it seemed as though once I graduated, he had no interest in maintaining a connection whatsoever. I contacted him when my mom died, and when both of his parents did, but he seemed determined to pretend I never existed. It was weird and hurtful. You can find better friends, and obviously you actually have. Who knows. Maybe he sensed you were gay and it made him uncomfortable; maybe he knows deep down that HE is and it scares him; then again, maybe he's just a jerk. Whatever his problem, it's just confirmation that he needs to be a memory and nothing more. (*hug*)

But how very exciting on the move! I hope it's the start of a new and wonderful chapter in your life. (Side personal note - your new town is on the route between my home town and my daughter's #1 college choice, so consider yourself warned!)

20. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    JR I'm so glad to hear positive news! I wish you all the best.