1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out at 31: my update

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by jnr183, May 15, 2014.

1. oscarneedslove

OMG I just read the whole thread and I just crossed my fingers for you and Jake. I hope he is not straight and he loves you too.

2. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Yes, I have had the same thing happen to me once, me feeling a strong attraction and him feeling nothing in return. The humiliation is because you made yourself vulnerable and dependent upon his feeling a similar emotion; when it doesn't happen that way, you feel somewhat foolish for building up the hope and the anticipation, and then SPLAT, you get nothing back and think how could I have made such a fool of myself, thinking he was feeling something for me, when all he was doing was, at best being amused by my affection, and at worst, laughing about me but being polite to my face.

This stuff is all in your head, because your emotions are running wild. He is at least your friend, and wouldn't want to hurt your feelings. He will probably feel flattered that you hold him in such high regard. But none of this is going to get straightened out until you are open and honest with him, and quit chewing your fingernails in angst. HE isn't likely to do anything to help you because he has no idea about this drama which is going on in your head. It is up to you to take the lead and clear this matter up. It isn't going to get any better until you do.

3. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh geez, jnr183, that humiliation thing is the worst. I pined after a friend in college (my roommate for nearly 3 years to boot), and what's worse, he knew it. We had one drunken episode which he pretended to have been too drunk to remember when I brought it up two weeks later, and he eventually claimed that even if he WAS gay, I wouldn't be his type. (He came out a couple months after I graduated and although I sent him Christmas cards and condolences on the deaths of both his parents, it's been 20 years since he has acknowledged my existence.) Just thinking about him still makes me feel like a total dork.

But your life is your own, and you owe it to yourself to pursue good opportunities, Jake or no Jake. And spilling all to him might really be what you're going to need to do to move forward and find someone with the same good qualities, who is actually available to you. He sounds like he's pretty gay-friendly anyhow, regardless of what his orientation may (or may not) be, so taking a deep breath and just saying that if he were gay, you'd be wildly hot for him, might be what you need to do to get this off your chest once and for all. It really sounds like this could be a friendship worth keeping if you can get the feelings you have resolved one way or another. Opening up is going to be the only way that's likely to happen, and one potentially cringeworthy moment is a lot less frustrating than thinking about it for months or years on end. (Speaking from a certain amount of experience there!) Hope all this gets resolved one way or another so you can move on and explore opportunities that could lead somewhere.

4. jnr183

Thanks everyone for the support. I do think that you both are right that telling him might be the best thing. The thought of telling him everything is exciting because I do think it would be a relief, but I don't know when or if I will.

I am kind of longing for that brave "don't give a ****" moment to come about and I need to muster some courage in the meantime. Sometimes I wish I were more impulsive.

It seems that writing letters is the only way I can really get this personal stuff out. I wrote him a letter in May when I came out to him. I wrote him a letter in June when he was giving me the cold shoulder..... writing him another letter feels more cringeworthy and cowardly than anything. My stomach gets in knots just thinking about it.

A simple hint that I might like him isn't really enough for me, either. I think I'd want to spill everything.

I can't promise that anything will happen with this anytime soon, but you have definitely got the gears turning... Stay tuned. Will try to not do too much whining in the meantime.

5. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’m reluctant to mention this since you’re really looking for a definite answer one way or the other and what I’m about to suggest may not work at all, could backfire on you, is dependent on your acting skills, your sense of perception, split second timing, would have to be done face to face, and may be slightly unethical in the eyes of some.

You’ve probably guessed, but in a nut shell perhaps next time you see him you could say that you may have found someone you’ve fallen for and judge his immediate reaction, if he’s crest fallen then you have your answer.

The twist in the tail is as you describe this fictitious guy, perhaps even using your pet name for him, you are really describing Jake but do so in a way that he thinks it’s someone else. This could make him realise that he has all those things you’re looking and perhaps gives him enough courage to be honest with you if he thinks you’re about to slip through his fingers and he’s missed the opportunity. If he’s gay and finds the courage to tell you, or he’s really crest fallen, then of course tell him that it was himself you were describing. Since you’re actually describing him you’re not actually telling a lie

If you get no reaction from him then you’re probably looking at a lost cause.

Hope this gives some food for thought.

SGG

6. jnr183

Thanks SGG! You always provide good food for thought. This plan might be a little tough for a few reasons... first, I am a terrible liar- besides successfully covering up my sexuality for many many years, I don't think I could pull it off. Second, at this point, I don't want to pollute our friendship with half-truths which might enable this to be more of a charade than it already has been. And last, I think if I were to propose something like that to him, I don't think he would be crestfallen. I think that maybe that gives me my answer.

I guess in my mind I speculate that he's like a lot of the guys I have 'met' on here- guys that never considered that they may not be 100% straight- guys that were never that happy with being with women. I was actually pretty aware of my sexuality from an early age and even so it took me an extremely long time to understand (not even accept, but understand) that pursuing relationships with women would never fulfill me. If this is the case, he may not realize it for years- he may not realize it until he gets married and start a family. I guess I want him to see things my way. I want him to consider me as a potential partner, because I don't know if he ever has.

I wrote a letter to him yesterday to this effect but did not send it and I don't think I ever will. It seemed so rude to speculate to him on what I think HIS sexuality is. The letter started off good but ended up feeling like I was almost guilt tripping him, which is so lame and ridiculous. And even if he isn't 100% straight, it doesn't mean he wants to come out or make a man his longterm partner.

I think if I lived in an area where it was easier to explore my sexuality and meet men I might not be in this situation. It would be really good to meet more gay men but I am having a hard time doing that.

7. jnr183

It's been a while since I posted and I feel like writing this morning.

Since my last post, Jake and I have barely spoken. There were a couple of phone calls since I saw him but when we spoke, they were 15-20 minute conversations that ended because it seemed like there was nothing to talk about. After that there were one or two minimal text conversations- mostly initiated by me. Two weeks ago or so I simply stopped contacting him and I have heard nothing back from him. Judging from his social media he is already getting in deep with this other girl and I guess he is caught up with that. Of course she is posting pictures of how great this new relationship is. I wonder if he is happy and I guess I hope that he his but more of me just wonders if I even want to be friends with him anymore. Man, I just feel like such a fool. I feel like he led me on and he used me because I was someone who listened to him until he found somebody new that would give him attention. I'm not saying the friendship is definitely over, but I feel like it might be and I feel like I might be OK with that. I'm supposed to go visit him in a few weeks to go to a concert- I think there are a few of his friends who have tickets with us, probably including this new girl but I don't know because I haven't talked to him in so long. I really want to see the concert but I don't even know if I want to go. I don't know if I'll have fun and I don't get the feeling that he evens gives a sh*t if I go. I hate feeling like the needy friend that wants a lot of reassurance but my feelings are hurt that he seems to have lost any interest in me or my life.

The good news is that I do think I am getting over him and I think that this indefinite period of distance has probably been good for me. I'm a little sad to think that this friendship is failing but admittedly having him out of my life might be a bit of a relief. The current give-and-take balance in our friendship doesn't really make it worth it for me. I realize that friends drift in and out of our worlds is part of life and I guess he is too selfish or disinterested to care about me.

As for the rest of life, I think things are a little better. I met a guy last week online who lives near me and is a few years younger than me. We have hung out a couple times. I don't think that we are quite a romantic match or that he will be a future best friend but he is pleasant to be around and I enjoy his company. He is also in the process of coming out which is helpful. He has been going to a LGBT support group in a nearby city and I think I am going to join him at some point in the next few weeks.

I am still looking to get out of my current job. I can't be done or move away soon enough. The work environment I am in is kind of toxic and the job really just isn't a good fit for me. The prospect of moving to Jake's city is still very much on the table but if it does happen it wouldn't be until late spring/early summer at the earliest (ugh!). The thought of moving to his city is strange but I would really be moving for the job as I don't know that the closeness of our friendship will ever be restored. If that job doesn't work out, I don't know what I'll do. I'm tempted to move home but it would be hard for me to be employed in my current field where my family lives, so there would be some major personal life decisions to make.

Overall I think things are getting better. Maybe Jake and I will stay friends but it seems like a one-way street recently and I can't be bothered with putting any more effort into something like that.

Anyways, boarding a plane to see some friends this weekend so I better wrap this up! It will be good to see them. Happy Saturday everybody.

8. mav96213

jnr183,

Thanks for the update. Real, true "best friends" are hard to come by, and I think Jake is showing is true colors. Yes, people do drift in and out of our lives, but it's those special friends that no matter the distance, they make an effort to keep in contact. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise, it will make it easier for you to move on. Still difficult and painful, and you'll have some grieving of the loss, but hopefully Jake will be replaced with someone even more special. Here is a great song that touches on the subject.

Tracy Lawrence "Find Out Who Your Friends Are" Directors Cut - YouTube

9. calgary

Hi JNR. I was just wondering how things are going. I was also considering going to a support group but haven't had the courage. Let me know how it goes. Not sure about Jake though this might be part of the process on getting over him. In the end you might not be as close as you were in the past but if it wast going to be a relationship you may have been too close. I wouldn't give up completely on the friendship. Not much has changed in my life. I am getting closer to a co worker who I've known for years and have finally came out to. She is cool with it and we go for lunch on fridays. It's still seems odd talking in public with people about guys and being gay. Still not really out to my rest of my co workers but think they are figuring it. My next and really largest challenge is coming out to old high school friends in my home town. I'm feeling better about it than I ever have in the past but still scary.

10. jnr183

Thanks! He ended up calling me to say hi last week but there wasn't much to talk about- he said he had to go and he'd call me the next day but he didn't, and that's OK. It hurts a lot less and this distance is so much healthier if it isn't going to be a relationship. I definitely won't give up on the friendship and I'll see him for the concert coming up and beyond that we will just see what happens.

Calgary- I think I'll probably go to the support group for the first time tomorrow night. I think I'm looking forward to it- I'm worried about not enjoying it but we will see. I haven't come out to anybody in a few months but I'm working on meeting people and figuring out where I can move to next. All progress, at least I hope so. It's definitely scary telling old friends! Do you know when you will?

11. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm partial to support groups because my first experience with one ended up taking me in an unexpectedly positive direction (to say the least!), but outside of that, it's a great feeling to be able to talk openly to people, gay AND straight, and know that you're all there to support each other without having to worry about being judged or making people uncomfortable. The two that I attend regularly are both part of the same loose organization (Catholic although not driven by the diocese) but have a very different makeup of members. One has a rather loose format and is mostly older people, some even in their late 70's and early 80's, with gay friends or relatives, who are there to be positive and caring. The other group has more gays and lesbians and is somewhat more structured and directed to specific issues.

We got an email the other day that a reporter for the local metro paper was doing an article on the group, and if anyone wanted to contribute thoughts they should email the reporter. I wrote a lengthy email and ended up having a half hour interview with her, and was mentioned in the first couple paragraphs of the article. It used only my first name (at my request because of my wife) but apparently was clear enough that my her best friend, and a friend of her mother's, picked up on it immediately, which led to an...interesting discussion at home. Oops. Following up on an earlier thread, once you feel like you're basically done "coming" out, you're comfortable being out, and if other people can't deal with it, it's their problem.

Glad you're not giving up on the Jake friendship even if a friendship is all it's likely to be. Having friends who accept you is important too. I shared the above article on Facebook and a former co-worker messaged me immediately and asked "What's up with all the gay posts lately, anyhow?" Ended up with a very open and positive discussion, and I can add one more old friend who knows I'm gay and doesn't have the slightest problem with it. Being gay is a huge part of who we are, but it doesn't have to be the one factor that defines us as people, either, and it's always good when people realize that.

12. mav96213

Jnr...

Been wondering how things are going, hope you are doing well. Update us when you can.

13. jnr183

Hi mav! Thanks for checking in. I have been lurking quite a bit recently, not posting much but reading through the threads somewhat regularly. Overall things have been comparatively good.

As far as updates to my story goes... I have been out of the country for a couple weeks for a work meeting. When I arrived I checked out the gay app (we're supposed to not use names, yes?), I saw a profile of a guy who I thought was quite attractive. Next day at the meeting, this guy is there too (or at least I was pretty sure it was him). Later that day, I look him up on non-gay social media and lo and behold it appears that we share mutual friends- i.e. one of my gay friends (the first guy that I ever came out to) and my friend's ex-boyfriend, which certainly started turning some gears. While drooling over his pictures all of a sudden the 'Friend Request Sent' message pops up! Totally mortifying! Anyways, request rescinded immediately but this guy ends up messaging my friend and asking about me and also my sexuality. Long story short, technology helped us start talking to each other - we have a lot in common - and we've sparked up something a fling while away. It's a first for me - we've shared a bed a few nights. It would be awkward professionally if others knew what was going on so there's a lot of sneaking around - especially since I'm not out to anyone here - but for me it's been really good, and really fun. I don't know if I would pursue a relationship with this guy if we did live in the same place, but it's reassuring to meet a guy that I'm into and to experience the things that are so much more fun than when I had girlfriends - even stupid simple companion things like sitting in bed some nights and just watching tv or doing work. I go back home in a few days so it will be a little sad to see this end.

The sneaking around has made me think a little bit more about how I feel about not being out. The thought of going public with a relationship like this was surprisingly frightening so I clearly still have some things to work out and I need to think about that when I get home. Again, I don't think that this guy is my soulmate or anything, but certainly poorer heterosexual matches have forged relationships for longer. So I do need to deal with that. I really need to consider telling my family but I'll only see them for the holidays and it sounds like then is a big no-no!

The support group I was going to before I left town for work ended up being pretty worthwhile. The friend who brought me there (that I mentioned in my last post) is good. While I find him attractive and initiating sexual things with him is tempting, I enjoy his friendship and I don't want to pollute it with fleeting sexual interests if "someone I like more" comes along. The group has helped me meet a couple more people in my town who are going or have gone through similar things, which is nice. I am, however, still dreadfully unhappy with my job and to a lesser degree the town that I'm in. Even though I have made a few more friends recently (work friends I am not out to and gay friends that I am out to), most of these people are temporary as well and are looking to move on within the next year or so. University towns like mine foster a population that is just way too transient. If I wasn't single it might be different, but I don't think that living here is the right thing. The job in Jake's city is still very much on the table and recent news suggests that it may be promising, but still nothing concrete will develop for at least 6 months. Waiting is the worst. Professionally that would be an awesome move and I hope that it would be better personally as well. If it doesn't work out I really need to come up with an exit plan for my job...

As for Jake, I did end up going to see the concert with him and his new girlfriend and a few others a couple weeks ago. It was OK. He seemed sincerely happy to see me and was very grateful that I had made the trip particularly because it coincided with his birthday. It shouldn't surprise anyone that I thought his new girlfriend was positively awful :wink:... she probably never stood a chance. And although this may make me sound like a horrible judgmental person, I was fairly unimpressed with her... she is a little younger but overall seems immature and unintelligent. She was a little possessive of him. PDA between the two of them was excessive at best. Constant hand holding, hugging, kissing... they must have kissed a minimum of 50 times in the span of a few hours... while we were waiting in line for the concert they were basically making out and he was mumbling 'I love you so much' to her. I am likely biased, but it was unnecessary and uncomfortable. I mean, this guy is approaching 30. This is not normal behavior. It made the concert less fun for sure. I was going to say something to him but the time never came up. Earlier that night at a bar he had asked me what I thought of her and told me that my opinion matters a lot to him because I'm very level-headed about relationships and stuff (LOL?). I was caught a bit off-guard so I just said that I hadn't spent much time with her but she seemed fine and if she made him happy then that was what mattered. He said that he really likes her and that she's everything his ex isn't. If he asks another time, I really do think I'd go into everything and into why it's going to be virtually impossible for me to ever like any bimbo that he rushes into dating. That sounds so awful, I know, but the words just stem from a lot of hurt.

I still think he's very confused in general. He might have no issues regarding his sexuality, but he has certainly has issues with relationship, love, and attention. It was honestly very interesting to see him in this light- to see something so unattractive and unappealing in him. So, honestly that's probably really good. We've still been talking but very infrequently. Again, there isn't much to talk about this point. And that's fine. I'm still his friend and I will be there for him for whatever or whenever. If I end up moving there, we will see what happens. If I don't, I expect we'll just drift further apart, and that may be what is best.

So you asked for an update and you get a novel :slight_smile:

Thanks to everyone who reads all of it.

14. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    WOW!!!! Thanks for the update! Sounds like things are moving in a great direction for you!

It's taken me until the last several months before I stopped having that chill run down my spine about people finding out I was gay without my specifically deciding that they SHOULD find out. Sometimes that takes a long time. I'm very comfortable being identified as gay now, and I don't care if the knowledge doesn't come from me. But earlier this summer a friend of a friend (and someone I had not told) sent me a message asking about my boyfriend, and I just about threw up out of panic. Don't be surprised if it takes you awhile. It's a big change in how you view yourself, after all.

Congrats on the little fling, romance, whatever you'd consider it! You're right, it's totally different even when you're just doing normal, insignificant things like watching tv or eating breakfast. It's still a rush for me, especially having the point of reference of 2 decades of trying to feel something, and now there's no trying at all--it's effortless and warm and satisfying.

Ahhh, the PDA thing....I used to hate watching that stuff. Until I met my boyfriend and could finally understand the urge to be affectionate for all to see! Although we do still stop short of non-stop mauling. In public, at least.

I'm so glad things are going well for you! And I appreciate the novel, as always. (*hug*)

15. mav96213

Thanks Jnr, good to hear from you, appreciate the update. Glad you had some fun on your business trip as well, that's a cool bonus!

16. jas4109

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    All I can say is wow. I can relate to it of your feelings. As for advice.. I cannot give that yet. Only what I know I would like to do but haven't been able to do myself as of yet.

17. Cool Bananas

Brisbane, but I seem to fly as much as superman
    Thanks for the updates, really enjoyable reading.

I have a guy like your friend Jake in my life as well, we don't live in the same city, which is a good thing but that doesn't mean I don't stop thinking about them. The best thing I have done is just get on meeting new people. Some people you find in the most random of places or a combination of things that all come to together. Also it can be a change in ones thinking whether to tell people you are gay, and with most people you don't have to say anything but when you are comfortable telling someone when asked it is a great reliever, most people who ask are interested and if not interested the conversation moves on.

LGBT groups can be a great way of meeting new people, some new might even meet for sex but it can also be good to meet and try different things or people, each new person teaches you something different.

18. mav96213

jnr183,

Hey, what's been happening? It's really been a long time in-between updates. Doesn't have to be about Jake, what's going on in your life? Hope all is well!

19. dutchwaffles

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey jnr183,

I read all of your posts at once yesterday, which took my interest a lot, especially because of the fact that I had similar experiences for the last 2-3 years. I am also 31, had very strong feelings for one of my best friends to whom I confessed, and decided to change my life. It did not work very well, and I am still in the process of reshaping my life recently.

Your post gave me a courage to share mine too.

Hope to hear more from you soon.

20. jnr183

@dutchwaffles: Thanks for your note! I'm glad this helped. It's still definitely something that is a work-in-progress. I have a looooong way to go, but it's a process in every sense of the word- and a good process at that. It's such a long process that I'm not even 31 anymore :slight_smile:. I would love to read your story if you decide to share it.

Sorry for the lack of updates. I haven't been on EC much recently, which I think is because the coming-out process has slowly drifted down my priority list. I don't know why exactly that has happened. I have tried to meet gay guys in my area but have not had much luck finding anybody that I really click with, even as friends. The university town that I live in is not a great place for singles in their thirties, particularly for gay singles, and especially for gay singles still riding around on their training wheels.

On top of this, my social life has improved in the sense that I have formed a fulfilling, albeit small, group of (straight) friends here through my work. I am still working on a new job in a new city and I had kind of resolved that I didn't want to come out at work for a number of reasons. Those reasons don't cause me a lot of stress and I am pretty much at peace and am comfortable with that decision. So I haven't come out to them. I don't actively try to hide my sexuality, or pretend to be straight. At the moment, my sexuality is not a major source of stress for me, and I don't feel like going through the rigmarole of sharing it as I don't see it accomplishing a lot for me personally. If I had plans to stay where I am long-term, this may be different, but I am hopeful that in the next few months my plans will be ironed out. I sometimes worry that I'm retreating back into the closet, but I don't worry about this a lot right now. I have kind of decided that I will make a substantial jump out of the closet once I do move and start a new job. My primary worry is that I'm going to chicken out when that time comes.

As for moving, I am hopeful that this will happen soon and I wish it hadn't been taking so long! The job in Jake's city that I mentioned months ago is still on the table and moving slowly. There are actually two companies hiring in that city (basically top-notch jobs for my field)- I interviewed at one a few weeks ago and the other (the "original" job) is coming up in a few weeks. Fingers crossed that one of them works out. Jake being there doesn't have a lot to do with that sentiment anymore - just that I hope and I suspect that living there would be so much better for me personally and professionally. I don't think either company will be selecting somebody until June or so, so there is still. more. waiting. If neither of those work out there are a couple of other options on the backburner that are also in more urban areas.

As for Jake, he's still around. Over the last few months our communication has become pretty infrequent. We may chat a little every couple of weeks, mostly about work stuff, really nothing personal. He's still with the 'new' girlfriend and he doesn't complain to me about her like he did all the time with his ex, so I can only assume that he is happy. I have resolved my feelings for him for the most part, which is a much healthier place for me to be in.

I was in his city for the interview a few weeks ago and I didn't know if I was going to see him. I honestly wasn't sure if I wanted to see him. He offered for me to stay with him for the night before I went home. I really didn't want to stay with him if his girlfriend was going to be around. I didn't care for her when I met her in November and it was a little uncomfortable being around them then. And even if it was just me and him, there hasn't been much to talk about since we don't seem to open up to each other much anymore. Regardless, I think he wanted to meet up and I didn't want to be a flake, so we met up for a meal and a beer before I hit the road. He asked if his girlfriend could come too. I felt like there wasn't much of an option.

It was nice to see him. I get frustrated because he does seem to possess a lot of what I'm looking for in a guy and I think if we were to start being around each other a lot then our old (platonic) dynamic would resume pretty quickly. A few hours after I left his city he sent me a text message that said this:

"Hey man I hope your drive is going well, I just wanted to tell you that it was really good to see you and I really miss hanging out with you"

I waited a while and replied:

"Thanks man- it is nice to hear that. I really hope that we will solve that problem in the next few months. And of course it was great seeing you too."

It really was nice to hear that from him. It was a tone I hadn't heard from him in a long time. He didn't reply after that. I can't read into it, but I still think it's an unusual thing for one man to say to a platonic male friend, but that's just me. I still speculate but reading into it in the past has only created stress for me. If I move there, we will see what happens. If I don't, I think we will continue to drift apart. And that's life and I guess it's fine. Holding a candle for him is clearly the wrong decision.

So, long story as per usual. Overall, I'm good. I haven't moved forward with coming out in quite some time and I really haven't told that many people. However, a year ago telling somebody that 'I'm gay' seemed incomprehensible. When I did tell people, it was terrifying and painful. Whenever I start telling more people, I am thinking it will be more along the lines of telling people that I'm gay, but I'm okay with it, and that overall I'm okay.

I still worry about telling my family. I think they will be fine with it, and they probably already suspect it, and they probably won't be surprised, but it is going to be a difficult step. And my biggest worry of all is not meeting the right guy. I need to move somewhere more gay-friendly but unfortunately that can't be an instantaneous change...

#80 jnr183, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015