1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out at 31: my update

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by jnr183, May 15, 2014.

1. mav96213

Thanks for the update, let us know how it goes...

2. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck on the conversation. You may not get a complete resolution, but it would be good to get some actual signals that you can use to decide to move on or wait him out.

3. jnr183

Of course. I can't even think about anything remotely romantic with him at this point... I just want to make sure I'm not losing him as a friend. Id much rather him be straight (or even gay or bi for that matter) and not interested than him simply not want to be friends with me now that he knows I'm homosexual. Or if he perceived I have feelings for him and that drove him away. That would be infinitely more hurtful. He has as little control over his sexuality as I do. I couldn't fault him for being unable to reciprocate my feelings or for not being at a stage in his life where he can deal with any question about his sexuality.

#23 jnr183, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  4. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey jnr, congratulations on the additional coming out experiences! That's really great! I'm sorry Jake hasn't been responding and ignored your birthday. Being close friends he should at least reply with a "sorry work has been crazy" or something to indicate he got your text or whatever. I think it's reasonable to ask him what's been going on and that you miss talking with him or would like to talk again, hang out soon, something like that. There seems to be a correlation between your coming out and his decrease in communication, even if he seemed normal at first which you could mention at least the possible coincidence.

I think SaleGayGuy might be right that Jake could be gay or bi and with your coming out he's been thinking about his life and your friendship and what it all may or may not mean. It would be awesome if he is gay and you two could have a relationship. I have a few friends/acquaintances that if they ever came out we'd be great together; just regular guys who happen to love dudes. I've heard others on here who later in life found out several of their old "straight" friends eventually come out. So they were gay all along and drawn together as friends, but due to various factors they took a long time to come out.

Has Jake said anti-gay things in the past or ever given any indication of disliking gay people? It doesn't sound like it, but was something that occurred to me as a possible source of his distance.

Finally I want to say how lucky you are to be coming out at 31 instead of any later. I'm happy for you and I hope things overall are better for you since you've done that. Take care. :slight_smile:

5. jnr183

Thanks mnguy. I called him last night- no answer- his voicemail was broken so I texted him and said just saying hi, call when you can. He texted back about an hour later and said hi and that he would call me shortly, except (24 hours later) he never did. No text messages, nothing.

I'm a little at a loss. Maybe he is considering his sexuality but I feel like getting my hopes up isn't the best thing for me to be doing! He has said homophobic things in the past, but no more than the average straight guy does, in my opinion. And as warm as he was when I came out (can refer to my earlier posts from early May), I wouldn't guess it but anything is possible. I suppose other possibilities is that he thinks I have feelings for him (which... OBVIOUSLY I DO, but I would never betray his or his girlfriend's trust) or he has something else personal going on. Maybe he told his girlfriend I'm gay?

I guess I'm just wondering how long to wait until I reach out again. Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm going to reach out again, eventually. I refuse to give up on this friendship at this point.... I just hope it's one worth keeping. Up until a few weeks ago it sure seemed like it. Not to jump to conclusions, but I've just never felt so rejected.

If nothing else I have plenty of wonderful friends and, again, I'll be fine. I've got plenty going for me, but I didn't expect a dose of heartbreak so spice up my coming out story. I suppose time will tell.

And, again, thanks to anyone who reads- and replies!- to these ramblings. We are all making progress... even if the road is a bit more tortuous than we expected. You guys are great.

#25 jnr183, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  6. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    jnr it's hard to understand why people do what they do, I've been around a while and still don't. You may feel you are rambling, but you may complete sense to me. :slight_smile:

7. jnr183

Thanks quietman! Glad you don't think I am crazy :slight_smile:

For anyone interested in these updates, Tuesday night I broke down and texted him to say hi- we had a short fairly cool interaction... I suggested we should catch up because it's been a while and he said yes we need to but we couldn't then because he was tired and needed to sleep and I said that that was no problem.

Nothing Wednesday... I called last night, voicemail wasn't working so I texted and just asked him to call me back at some point and it would be good to hear from and that I hoped everything was all right. Damn imessage read receipt let me know he saw it right away (I hate those read receipts sometimes!) biut no reply.

So overall a strange story in my opinion. I can't think of plenty of good explanations for his behavior particularly because he used to talk constantly. Maybe he actually is struggling with his sexuality. Maybe it has nothing to do with me. Whatever it is, I wonder if he realizes how confusing and hurtful this is and whether he cares. Whenever I find out I'll be sure to post here... I suppose I'm done with trying to contact him. If another week goes by and hear nothing, I suppose I'll say my peace to him. And eventually move on.

On a lighter note I'm at work trying to write this and it's one of those mornings I can't go 30 seconds without getting interrupted by everyone I have ever met. So frustrating! Can't they give me 10 minutes to type my EC diary entry! :slight_smile:

Happy Friday. Thanks to anyone who reads.

8. BlueLines

I just saw your thread today, and I just wanted to say that I really appreciate what you have going on here. It has helped remind me of some things that I need to be more mindful of in my life right now.

I have gone though a similar situation with a friend in the past, things where not going very well in his life and he was having a hard time with a lot of things, and he kind of blamed it on all me. (For no reason as he told me later on.) We where fairly close before he went off the deep end, but it took about a year, and now he contacts me every once and awhile, but its nothing like it once was. And I have a hard time with those who flake out so that might be my fault...

I know the feeling of losing a friend especially a good one is really hard, and I really hope this is not the case here.

I am not making excuses for Jake at all, but it sounds like he has a lot going on, working a lot and traveling on top of it can be a little mind numbing and so it makes it a little harder to come to terms with major issues that upset the status qua, like personal relationships, inner reflection, and confusion or anything else for that matter. Im not saying that its right to blow you off either, because its not. He should at least be up front with you.

Either way, I hope things work out for the best, and you seem like a really great person, so I think he is missing out.

I know I am pretty close to the least qualified person to be giving advice or input here, but at the very least I wanted to thank you for your story.

9. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    JNR, isn't it about time that you go over to his place and talk to him in person? If you guys are/were best friends, there shouldn't be anything wrong with that. Just ask him if he is OK, that you are concerned that he seem to isolating himself, and that you wanted to make sure he is OK and not having some kind of problem or stress. Act as though you are concerned about him, not about what you told him about you.

10. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would also avoid making any negative assumptions. It's a really easy thing to do when emotions are high and you feel some degree of curiosity, apprehension, disappointment, whatever. There are many, many reasons why someone might not be in touch and the vast majority could have nothing to do with you. Work, family, activities, emergencies... Try to shelve the personal feelings and give him the benefit of the doubt for the sake of your friendship, because that's where you two started, and that's a very positive thing to try and maintain.

11. jnr183

Thanks for the replies.

I agree with everything that everyone has said. While I have talked ad nauseam on here about how I worry it's about me, I have made no suggestion to him that I think this.... and there's a very good chance that it has NOTHING to do with me, even if the cold shoulder burns like hell. I've tried to just let him know I'm there and I'll have to wait.

I've also made no suggestion to him that I'm mad at him. And, really, I'm not mad at him. I am not happy that he's blown me off but if he comes back around I'd accept him with open arms in a second. A big part of me is worried that he never will come around and the closeness of our friendship will never be the same but I just have to wait and see, at this point. He does have a lot going on- maybe it's his girlfriend- maybe he's met someone new- I don't really know. I wish he felt he could share it with me but I'm not him and I don't know what's going on in his head.

@Yossarian: I would love to see him. He is a 5 hour drive away from me, though. I HAVE seen him since I came out to him. We hung out one night a couple weeks ago and things were pretty normal. Before that he had started talking to me less and less... I thought hanging out would make us talk again more, but since then it has only trailed off further. At this point, I think me showing up in his town might scare him off for sure!!

I am concerned that he is isolating himself for sure. We actually don't have a ton of mutual friends so I don't know if he has isolated himself from others, or his girlfriend, either. I could ask his girlfriend, but I'd rather not go there for now. I just need to be strong, suck it up, and wait and/or forget. It is hard because my emotions and my anxiety are running much higher than usual.

12. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey jnr, I've been frustrated with friends in somewhat similar situations, but sounds like you're keeping a level head and that's really good. What is the background with Jake again? I was thinking he was a long-time work friend that recently moved. How long have you been friends? If you have been close friends for a long time and then his communication basically stopped once you came out it would seem to be related, but maybe not. On the other hand if you weren't friends all that long and since he's moved far away maybe he was already in the process of hanging out with new friends and letting older friendships fade. Maybe for him the distance is too much to maintain friendships if they weren't very lengthy. Unfortunately it sounds more and more like he wants the friendship to end. You've kept in contact as a good friend but at this point I think the ball is in his court and hopefully he passes it back to you, but if not, it's his loss.

13. jnr183

Hi mnguy... Jake and I haven't been friends long. We met last May and progressed rapidly from coworkers to casual friends to extremely close friends. I won't go into all the details, but I've moved around a bunch and have had lots of friends from different life stages. This friendship moved very quickly. It was always just a friendship but the intensity certainly deviated from the norm. He moved away in December. I knew I had very strong feelings for him but I thought they would fade with his departure. Instead, we kept in such close contact that I began to wonder if he had feelings for me. Our contact actually seemed to increase over the months of December to this May. I broke up with my girlfriend for a mixture of related and unrelated reasons in April. My feelings for him prompted me to come out to him in early May. His response was so kind that it melted my heart and things seemed fine for the next couple weeks, then very abruptly he kind of dropped me. Sure, friendships fade with time, especially short-lived ones, but this was not a gradual change.

On top of this, he has been sticking with an unhappy relationship with his girlfriend for the better part of a year. I know he feels familial pressure to get married and settle down. He has admitted to me that he has never been fulfilled in any of his previous relationships, but has made zero suggestion that he might be attracted to men or, more specifically, to me.

Regardless, I agree the ball is in his court. I would be so hurt if he really wanted to end the friendship. Deep down I don't think that he does. Time will tell. Sometimes I feel like a complete fool for thinking something could ever happen between us. Other times I feel so sure that this is fate. I try to tell the story as objectively as possible; I can't promise that it isn't tainted by some amount of bias. But bottom line, I had a close friend, I told him I was gay, he was fine for a few weeks, and now I can get nothing out of him. It is what it is, but it makes for a shi**y coming out story!!

#33 jnr183, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  14. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok, I understand better now. I'm sorry, man, whatever is going on with him it isn't cool he's ignoring you. Nah, you're not a fool at all; we all go through these things. For gay people it's worse because it's harder for us to find someone we're into and who might feel the same way since most people are straight. The big thing is that you're out and that's really great so I hope you can feel good about that. I hope you'll find a cool guy who's also out and single and things will be easier with him. Hang in there, man (*hug*)

15. jnr183

I sent him a pretty frank letter yesterday... basic gist was everything I talked about on here, short of my feelings for him. I said I'd rather speak to him but he won't return my calls. I said I hoped he was all right and told him he could always come to me if he had a problem. I said that I didn't want to make a deal of this, but his lack of communication really confused and hurt me to the point that I even wondered if he didn't want to be friends with me anymore. I said I didn't know if it had to do with me being gay, and that I am still particularly sensitive about it so I was sorry if I brought it into this conversation unnecessarily. I apologized if it put him in an uncomfortable spot, but I reminded him that I told him because I trust him and that he would never offend me with any questions or comments. Lastly I asked that if he replied that he only be honest... to not just say things to smooth things over, that it wasn't worth my time or his time- and that I just wanted things to go back to normal if that was also what he wanted.

Anyways he got back to me fairly quickly by text and was very apologetic and I think surprised. Basically he said he considers me one of his closest friends and it was never his intention to make me feel like that and that he was sorry he didn't put in more of an effort to be in touch. We talked by phone for a while later and at the end of that conversation he apologized again and said he should have gotten back to me and that just wasn't something good friends do. I told him to not worry about it, which I meant.

He didn't give any indication as to WHY he didn't- if anything it sounds like he is less busy at work than he had been- but I wasn't going to press him for an explanation. I have a feeling we probably aren't going to talk as often as we used to, and I'm not going to contact him for a while unless he tries to get in touch with me. I don't want to be the needy friend who wants continual reassurance that everything is OK. I need to know that he wants to be in touch with me, because maintaining the effort to stay in close contact is not a good use of my energy. Presumably he is straight and I can't fault him for not reciprocating those feelings. I still really wonder about his sexuality for all the reasons I've mentioned already, but if he is gay or bisexual, he is much further behind me in the process and I need to respect that if he even has to work through that, he isn't at a point in his life when he can work through it.

So I probably need to move on. It is difficult because he is someone that I really feel I can be myself with and I get the sense that goes for him too. He once told me that he feels like his girlfriend doesn't even know the 'real him'. I mean wtf does that mean. I just really worry that I'm going to have trouble finding a guy that's right for me.

mnguy you are exactly right that meeting someone who is out and single will be much more healthy and I think I am going to focus on that for the time being. It is really hard being in an area with such a small LGBT presence. I wish it was easier for me to change my geographic situation but I need to make sure that any move is a wise move both personally and professionally. In time I can change it but it may take a while.

Also I need to figure out when and how and who I want to come out to next.

So, all said, an unexceptional resolution to the story for now. I just wish there was a greater indication that things were going to get better. Coming out to this point hasn't produced exceptional results yet, which makes it hard to feel like I'm doing the right thing. Have others had similar experiences?

As always, thanks for reading and replying. Sorry if this entry is long and disjointed- I wrote it over 3-4 sittings so I hope it flows okay.

#35 jnr183, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  16. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unexceptional? You came out to someone who considers you his closest friend, and he still thinks of you that way. Even if nothing more comes out of it, in my book, that's pretty exceptional. Shutting off any other feelings may be a challenge, for sure. But it won't be the last time. What's important is that you have a close friend who accepts you and wants to be in your life. That's something to be very happy about.

17. jnr183

I hope so Choirboy! I think it is one of those things that the words were said, but the actions are yet to be seen. And we know which ones speak louder. Despite the good conversation, I am worried we will drift apart from here, but time will tell. Hope you had a nice weekend!

18. mav96213

"Sorry if this entry is long and disjointed"

On the contrary, thanks for the detailed update, it was written very well and laid out clearly. I appreciate you taking the time to keep us current with the situation. Who knows where he is at or what he is thinking, so I think it's wise of you to move on (so to speak) and not rely on him for too much. If he changes and wants to be more involved, great; but otherwise you need to find other friends with whom you can relate with. I'm not saying to cut him off, but just don't go out of you way to keep the friendship alive. Let him lead for a while and see where it goes.

Best of luck, and you never know when you will meet someone special that you will also connect with, and just maybe on a higher level!

19. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

This is an amazing story I just read every post, on this thread. First of all I feel I need to congratulate you on coming out to those closest to you. Also jake, i honestly don't know what to say about him it seems like he could be shutting you out because you are gay or he could be shutting you out because he is gay and he doesn't want to feel these feelings that he's feeling towards you.
    After what you told us about Jake I feel like you should expect the worst but hope for the best because it seems like if he really is gay he's not ready to tell you or anyone for that matter. That could also explain why he is with a woman who you say he has told you he feels nothing for.
    I can't wait for the next update I am excited and scared for you and I just am anxious to know how he feels and if he's attempted to communicate with you over the last couple hours. I agree with the other members on this one though, you shouldn't waste your time trying to rekindle a friendship that might not be able to be rekindled. So like the other members said I think you should make an attempt to go out there and meet someone who's out and single. Also you could try to make friends who can relate to you and your situation so maybe you could try making friends who are also active members of the LGBT community.
    Best of luck :slight_smile:
    Sincerely,

20. marriedover50

JNR.

Glad to hear there has been some open dialogue. I am sure things feel better. I truly wish for you a loving relationship that will be as meaningful as your friendship with Jake. I hope you can feel good about the friendship being in tact. Perhaps something more will come, but perhaps not. Either way, I think you have the makings of a good friend.

Peace. Josh.