1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have people reacted negatively to your musical tastes before?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Krilky, Jan 12, 2014.

?

Have you ever been ridiculed for your music?

1. Yes

87 vote(s)
    82.1%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    17.9%
  1. KazTastic

I listen to all sorts of things - though it mainly centres on 90s-00s alternative rock, 90s-00s electronica, 90s metal, and 80s-90s "guilty pleasure" pop with some newer and older things in the mix.

I used to get the "get some new music" crap when I was at school. Too bad the pop music at that time (mid-2000s) was garbage.

I am a bit of a music snob these days though, but it mainly relates to me telling them to turn it off.

2. ThinWhiteDuke

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm I guess sometimes? I don't really mind though most of the time it's because I'm listening to "Sister Ray" or something like that and 18 minutes of reverb and pure madness can be a bit much for people. But I loves me some Velvet Underground.

I like really gruff singers too like Tom Waits, Nick Cave or Captain Beefheart, which also can put people off, but again it doesn't bother me because they're all fucking weirdos.

3. Emulator

Yeah...because I don't listen to music. And if I do, only classical.

4. DragonQueen

Yes, because I have odd musical tastes sometimes and I really dislike most popular music (N*SYNC was the exception...). But I really like quirky metal with circus, Viking, and swing undertones, as well as aggrotech (which is extremely intense electronic music) and people have made fun of me for just listening to "noise" instead of "real music".

5. XingSarangBi

XingSarangBi Guest

I listen to most types of Rock music (Linkin Park, Sum 41, Blink 182, Good Charlotte, Cage the elephant, mumford and sons, portugal the man, the jamboree sunday, the all american rejects and LOTS more) , some types of Metal (Slipknot, Aegaeon, Cannibal Corpse, Gojira, Bring me the horizon, Bullet for my Valentine, Gorgoroth, and lots more) , and I also listen to classical music. (Tchaikovsky, Vivaldi, Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, etc)
    So, yeah, lots of people at school think it's really weird.

6. DrkRayne

All the time when I was in H.S. and some later on.

I'm black and I heavily in the symphonic metal, country, and presumably "white" music and not as much into hip-hop and r&b with the exception of a few cross-over artist (Beyonce, Alicia Keys, Eminem etc). So I was teased for years

7. Myhipsdolie

I definitely have a very diverse music taste but what I listen to is my own. I would never judge someone based on their music taste but when people judge me for mine, I could literally just explode. There's so much music snobbery within music and it's horrific because it's such a personal thing.
    On to a personal experience: I listen to a lot of different genres of music so basically when my friend was going through my ipod and found my workout playlist she just laughed at me for around 10 minutes straight because it has a lot of pop music in it (you know general workout music.)
    This was because my friends are strictly metal fans and now they call me a pussy.

8. Alexanderp

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have a wide taste in music. My favorite bands are Coldplay, Rise Against, Neon Trees, Anberlin, Twenty One Pilots, Matt Nathanson, Mat Kearney, Yellowcard, Owl City, and tons more. I really only cannot stand Country, Screamo, Dubstep, and 98% of Rap(Twenty one pilots and Mat Kearney!) So really, all I've had are people asking me how I don't like country. I despise Country really. OH, I also dislike lots of mainstream pop music.

9. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Quite a few times. I listen to a little bit of everything, even though most of my library is full of different kinds of rock. Paramore, Three Days Grace, Flyleaf, Tally Hall, Earlyrise, Icon For Hire, The Pretty Reckless, etc. It doesn't help I also listen to a bit of fan-made brony music (currently obsessed with "Nightmare Night") along with aggressive metal songs. I've been told quite a few times that my taste in music is scary. Either that, or I find someone who goes "Holy cow, I never listen to this kind of stuff... This is great."

10. Projectfabulous

I get made fun and ridiculed a lot solely because the majority of the music I listen to isn't in English. So, foreign language = terrible music in their minds. Then, I make them actually listen to it and they're like "It's not that bad." "I actually like it!!" and I just say "I told you so"

11. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh c'mon I know spice up your life by heart and hall and Oates defined my music I listened to before I got into rap. In fact my 2nd most listened to genre is 80s.

I got your back on this one.

12. 7eye

7eye Guest

Eh... someone suggested I shouldn't listen to emo or metal, but I know where they're coming from. They suggested I should try to appreciate reggae; for some reason, I'm not listening to much of or any reggae since a year they suggested it.

Fortunately though, the manner this person told me this was telling me this quite jokingly.

#72 7eye, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2014
  13. Johneh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I totally agree. I guess if someone dosen't take the time to listen to metal they would never realise any of the difference or even the existence of the sub-genres. It's not even like I even listen to metal with screaming exclusively. (although it is the majority). I love bands from most of the sub-genres. :slight_smile:

14. DangerousHunter

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yes, sadly. Every time I mention my interest in Middle ages/Renaissance music, they always laugh.

15. KWDBM

When I was a kid I grew up in a family that *loved* country music. I grew up absolutely loving country (not pop-country like most of it is today, real country). In grade school I was, to my knowledge, the only one who actually liked country, and yeah I got teased plenty about it. It was mostly friendly-poking teasing though.

In middle school I went to five, yes five, N*Sync concerts. It was when they were "the" boy-band, so most of the girls in my grade did like them, but after like the 3rd concert everyone would be "really? again?".

I tend to hang on to songs/groups I loved growing up, so yes I still listen to the Spice Girls, S-Club 7, Garbage, the older Britney Spears cds, etc etc. And yeah, some people tease me about it.

16. classicat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I definitely got a lot of flack for my musical tastes, but not so much now that I'm in college. I enjoy listening to lots of classical music, ragtime and big-band songs, as well as lots of Broadway songs. I got poked fun at a lot mostly because I was pretty clueless about newer songs and just liked to listen to "old people" songs.

I guess middle school was worse though, because that was when I was into country songs ... and apparently, even in a small farming community, that's not acceptable >.>

17. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes from my family I like Jrock , rock a few rap songs but I've been made fun of for liking rock music and I even had a guy treat me negatively because of it .

18. FrozenFae

I listen to a lot of folk rock and prog rock. Jethro Tull is actually my favorite band - and I gt so much flack for liking them so much....but whatever. I listen to a lot of early goth and darkwave bands also like Bauhaus and Depeche Mode. Been mocked a little for them.

All I have to say is excuse me for not being another gay man cookie cutter stereotype who only listens to Lady Gaga and One Direction :dry:

19. AngerAndAgony

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can you say all the time? I am a sixteen year old that is obsessed with My Darkest Days, David Cook, Three Days Grace, Shinedown, Daughtry, Lifehouse, The Doors... Basically male-fronted rock bands that I deem good. I rarely listen to other music; everything I listen to pretty much has some rock basis to it. Because it isn't country, rap, or pop, I get ridiculed and yelled at all the time. Most people hate my music and how much I care about it.

20. setnyx

i'm 48 and i listen to skrillex, five finger death punch and 80's metal too. my OLD family members hate it!