1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YouTube Fell Down the Rabbit Hole...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by GirlWhoWaited, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I feel like whenever Youtube updates something, people will complain about it for awhile than they get use to it and just forget about it. I just find it funny how people saying they like the old format when they saying the exact opposite when it first came out. People just don't like change...

Anyway, I really don't care, I actually like the notification thing.

2. I actually don't understand the notification thing. We just go on our Google+ page to see if people reply to our comments?

3. MyChemRomance

I hate the new shit. Especially on the YouTube app, sometimes the updates were good, others are just...meh...

4. bannermanroadie

Out Status:
    A few people
    Eh- I'm a bit pissed, but I have to have a Google plus account for school. So It's not like anything has changed. Meet the new boss same as the old bit.

5. penguin machine

Everything about user experience is alien to companies like Facebook and Youtube. They change things so arbitrarily, always getting rid of useful features and finding new ways to monetize free components. I don't just hate change, I hate unnecessary changes that remove convenience from the equation. A good example, Youtube used to have a video selector above the video, so you could navigate the other videos from the channel without having to leave the video you were already on. It made it easy to get through a playlist. Now, you have to go to the actual page, or find the video in the suggestions, two places where YouTube can bombard you with whatever garbage they want. Linking out google accounts together isn't in and of itself a bad thing, since it's all one company with many arms, but forcing us to log into one service we DON'T like in order to use one we do, is pointless.

I'm also not comfortable using my real name on youtube. Yes, Google (and thanks to the NSA, The US government) knows my real name already, but I don't want to broadcast that to everybody on youtube when I comment on something. Worse, they have an option for keeping your youtube username and just creating a google+ page for it, in order to stay on youtube. Oddly enough, I've clicked that option over 100 times, on multiple days, and it's never yielded anything. Worse, my google account and youtube account are already linked since they forced us to do that several years ago. So considering that my google account is already linked to my gmail and google+, why can't they just bloody link my youtube to it against my will?

Another change I didn't like was the appearance of ratings in the suggestions. When you looked at a thumbnail of a video, you would see the number of stars in the image. Google removed this, forcing you to click on the video (where they can expose you to more ads) in order to even find out what its rated. Basically, over the last few years, every feature that was useful and convenient for navigating youtube has been slowly excised. Most people probably don't even remember when they changed the channel format. The old channel used to be a page like any social media site. Now it's 100% focused on videos and profit.

I really miss the youutbe I discovered in 2008....

6. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

I didn't even realize they changed anything until I saw this thread. What exactly is so drastically different?

7. Hysteria

Agreed. Down with those imperial scum!

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen Hell and it's the current Youtube layout. It seems like every time Youtube does a site layout change, it gets progressively worse. I remember loathing the Cosmic Panda system, but then I started to miss it the second Youtube/Google robbed us of uniqueness on our pages. Also, the ability to reply to people in the comment section is gone; so any form of a discussion in the chat section is gone and unusable.

I was confused and pissed when Youtube logged me out for no reason, and when I came back, there was a foul, rotting stench of the carrion that is G+. It disappoints me how Youtube is being a fuck buddy to Google, just plastering G+ everywhere instead of doing what the customers want. For me, it's like the "Fizz Ed" episode of Daria where they plaster Ultra Cola everywhere to get more money for the school; but instead it's Youtube doing it with G+ (which nobody or very little people even like).

If Youtube wants to be smart, leave more options widely available to its customers. Give us the option to have any layout from any Youtube generation (Or at the very least up until 2007 or 2008), return the Youtube subscriber and inbox features and just the basics that people like that were taken from us.

I sound so old when I complain, but back in "my day"; Youtube was simplistic, but far better than the mess we have now.

---------- Post added 8th Nov 2013 at 03:15 PM ----------

That's how it is now if I'm not mistaken. After we lost the little inbox icon next to our names, we'd have to go check our inboxes every once in a while to see if we got anything--now we need to go to GMail for it, which is fucking stupid to me because not everyone uses it or wants to, so if you're that person, you won't know if you got anything or not. It's bullshit. :dry::bang:

---------- Post added 8th Nov 2013 at 03:19 PM ----------

Everything is now all about GMail. The comment section now gives the option to publish your comments to your G+ circle and you no longer have a Youtube inbox because everything is transferred to your G+ inbox. That's what I've noticed, but there might be more. So pretty much if you don't use GMail, you're not going to know if you got anything from people or not.

Also, is anyone still getting the annoying pop-ups from Youtube asking you if you want to use your real name? It's been at least two years for me and Youtube is STILL up my ass about it.

---------- Post added 8th Nov 2013 at 03:37 PM ----------

[YOUTUBE]LTq8TrA3hb4[/YOUTUBE]

#28 Daydreamer1, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  9. Abbra

Yeah, a lot of the YouTubers are very unhappy with the changes as well. At some point the site is going to have to listen to their consumers complaints, otherwise the site is going to go the way that Myspace did. You would think that the websites would have more tact than that.

I agree with her:

I HATE GOOGLE+!!!!!!!!! - YouTube

10. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sure if enough people get pissed about it, we'll have a total Youtube blackout like we did a few years ago.

11. Johneh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I miss youtube around 05/06 era. It was alot of fun.

I really hate how youtube is now. Over commercialized garbage. Mostly advertisements.

12. PerryRob2008

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I literally just saw that video on John Green's Tumblr. It's so true and the best thing that I have seen all night.

13. MrPotato

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    omg so trueee!!!! 2006-2007ish youtube was dabomb.

I hate ads, but I use Google's own browser with Adblock and the ads aren't a problem anymore.

I'm also not a big fan of Vevo, and people getting their vids taken off b/c copyrights. Oh, and also WTF happened to the YouTube charts? I remember there being a link at the bottom of the website a long time ago where we could see which youtuber had the most subs... nowadays I give up trying to work my way around the so called "simple and streamlined design"

14. Data

Data Guest

I've got serious fucking bones to pick with YouTube.

They banned one of my favorite YouTubers Davidsfarm for no reason. That was strike one.

They made up Vevo and started going hardcore on people for copyright BS. Strike two.

Now they've got this fucking G+ bullshit and I am done. Fucking DONE. All those people in the comments are just going to have to be wrong. :grin: I won't make a G+ account. I already have a Facebook and it does everything I need. No need for Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, G+, Myspace (Whoa, where did that come from) etc.

As long as EricTheCarGuy and Hickok45 are still on YouTube, I will watch their vids. I just won't comment.

15. fulcrum

Yeah, I hate they way they trying to integrate with google plus. I dont necessarily want to share my youtube viewing with everyone.

Just give me a share link and be done with it. Leave youtube as an island for those who want to escape for a while!!! They gonna fuck it up, as if they dont already have enough money. :-(

"Dont Be Evil" MY ASS!!!

16. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    '05-'07 was an amazing time. It's silly, but it would be cool if they gave the option to let people use the site layout from any generation of Youtube within reason.

17. Just Passing

The biggest issue is that Google are enforcing a service that nobody really wants or uses and the so-called additions to YouTube are making it more bogged down in crap and taking away the simplicity that a lot of users appreciated beforehand.

Facebook, Twitter and YouTube make unnecessary changes quite often, but YouTube are the biggest offenders when it comes to this.

18. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Chad on the Youtube/Google+ thing

[YOUTUBE]hVR953wHoNc[/YOUTUBE]

19. Johneh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well have you ever used archive.org? You can go back in time with it. It's fun to browse how some websites evolved. :slight_smile:

https://web.archive.org/web/20060423215904/http://youtube.com/?

20. Hrantou

I miss the old youtube. I remember I had an account for years in high school with all my old favorite and funny videos saved on it. Then youtube got an update and I lost that account. I can't remember most of the videos on that account since it was years ago.

Now they throw this google+ thing in and it just sucks.