1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a reason Americans dislike Canada (Canadians)?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alexander69, Sep 4, 2013.

1. sguyc

Its just a joke, dont be so sensative. Try being american in an international forum and you will get jokes AND blatant hatred.

2. pikachulovable

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I adore canada, since Im learning french I am considering move there one day. America is ignorant, do not be too put off by it.

3. Abbra

I actually want to move to Canada some day. Honestly, Americans just like making fun of things. Laughing at something doesn't necessarily mean you don't like it.

4. fluteloop

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I love Canada. Canada has more things legal there, than here. I have many Canadian friends.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is very true sometimes. We don't exclude ourselves from the good-natured teasing either. We make fun of rednecks, New English accents, east coast, west coast, pretty much anybody. It's fun to see what stereotypes you fit for any group you represent just for the lols.

Now if it's meant to be hurtful, that's another story. But harmless jokes can be a way to show by contrast how much we are otherwise the same :slight_smile:.

6. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It´s worldwide. I mean countries that border eachother making jokes about the other country or other countries in the world. Has nothing to do with hating that country. It´s about common believes and certain traits that make it easy to make jokes about.

7. bethpurple

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't know very much about Canada, but most of what I've heard has been very positive. I'd really like to go there someday... and maybe not go back to the US. There are too many angry crazy people here.

8. I gotta say this, I love Canada. I feel that the US is just so behind in society. Canada has universal health care, a better economy, and more open-minded. People just hate on Canada because of the opposite stance on politics.

9. blueberrymuffin

Canada has marriage equality for a while now, and universal health care. What's not to like? Americans often make fun of canada in a little brother kind of way is all.

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Dang, this is still going? For the record, I love Canadians!

11. Tim

Tim

It's no different than when British shows or Asian shows make jokes about America/Americans.

It's what people do. They poke jokes at stereotypes of other countries.

I personally love Canada and want to move there one day. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Not for the reasons people expect either. xD

Generalizing people is never a good thing to do. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: They do it on TV to play up stereotypes to illicit a reaction.

12. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, we are Americans. We feel superior to everyone and Canada is like that little brother we beat up all the time.

But hey, I dig Canadians. From what I've seen, they're pretty laid back and chill. Four for you guys!

13. bazinga91

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I really have never heard anything negative being spoken about Canada... I only heard jokes about how nice Canadians are and if im being made fun of, if its for being too nice I wouldn't be insulted lol I like Canada, nice people, nice place

14. Blurred Horizon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I am sorry that those Americans are being really ignorant. I actually tend to love Canadians. Where I live, Canadians are probably the best people. If you have a Canadian friend, its like bam 10000 awesomeness points are awarded to you. I beg of you though, please don't sort us all in one category. I also find people in the southern US to be nicer (not saying northerners aren't nice, its just those in the south are very welcoming).

15. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Canada has the tallest building in the Americas... It must be dat.

16. starfish

Well the truth is there are jerks and snobs everywhere.

A few months back I ran into a guy from Montreal. I was telling him I have done a fair bit of traveling in Canada, western Canada in particular. He said he would never travel to western Canada as there is just a bunch of red necks there.

I felt sorry for him. His snobbishness stopped him from seeing some of the most beautiful country in North America.

Though I do want to visit the Maritimes, I might do that next summer.

I've been to Toronto and that is a pretty cool town. Of course Vancouver is my favorite city. I would really like to live there.