1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe in god, even after what religion says about us?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by catgoturtongue, Aug 31, 2013.

1. XTREMEZish

yes, I believe in god

2. Thislittlepiggy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with this 100%. I just don't feel the need to add another "routine" into my life, so to speak.

3. hichat

Yes I believe in God but in my own way.

4. VideoGameLover

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't believe in God. But I don't mind people that do, as long as they don't use it to justify intolerance and hatred.

I've watched many videos and read articles where people say that the bible has been mistranslated and actually never condemned homosexuality. (Just search up "The Truth about Leviticus and Homosexuality" on Youtube to see what I mean)

I'm inclined to believe that it has been mistranslated, and it saddens me today to see so many people opposing gay rights over what could have been a misinterpretation.

5. JustKat

Since I last posted, I have became a full on Atheist. I see no proof of any God. Until I do see some concrete proof, I am going with no God exists.

6. Rainbow Kitty

I do. I don't know if I believe in a Christian God.

I don't understand how a loving God could create people then send them to hell. That bothers me. No one deserves that. In many countries you grow up around said religion, and believe that the rest of your life. If you weren't born in said religion's country, sorry, you're going to hell!

Sounds terrible to me.

7. Jellal

I'm agnostic, I think there could be an all-powerful being or a wide pantheon of the sort.

I don't think too hard about how religion supposedly condemns "people like us." The way I see it, the messages of each religion are interpreted and utilized by humans that have their own particular goals; these aren't the goals of real divinities. Religion is seen as a legitimate authority by people who are afraid to question it, because a threat to their religion is a threat to the specific value system that upholds the very cosmology of the world they believe in.

So if anyone gets in the way of whoever wrote a discriminatory rule, they become an obstacle at best and an enemy at worst. Cue where "we" are now. This sucks. I really wish religion could be used solely as a community-building tool that allows for people to pursue knowledge and truth without having to weaponize and politicize heavenly scripture.

I could still easily believe in the existence of supernatural forces despite all the hatred and discrimination that exists in the world. I do think organized religion is in a bad way these days.

8. Itisthefear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    my family is Christian but i'm an agnostic, i think that we all believe in the very existence of something but we describe it differently.
    but religion in my opinion was something that was made in order to explain things that humanity wasn't able to understand yet ( space,stars etc) and to manipulate the crowds with the will of those who had power.

I do believe that some things are real from religion like in Christianism for example, i do believe that Jesus existed but i think he was someone like Gandhi, who had new and different ideas in this world and he had to sacrifice many lives in order to make people understand that this is not the right way to live.

9. Fly

Fly

Believing in God and believing in the anti-homosexual passages of the bible are two different things. Its very possible to be spiritual but take issues with the bible or organized modern religion. There is even controversy between modern Christians about whether the homophobic parts of the bible should even be taken as meaningful, because the bible says many things we no longer believe in such as slavery or killing people who commit adultery.

I was raised in a religious household and went to a church that taught that homosexuality is a sin. After some reflection, I have concluded that the moral teachings of organized religion are not absolute and are very much influenced by culture and history, and that the true religious life is not about following some rules or beliefs that other people say is true, but more in the attitude and way you live your life.

10. Silver Springs

With all my heart, and all my soul, and all my might.

11. Sek

Sek

I was raised in a catholic family but I saw through it all. I'd like to be able to believe for the personal benefits it can bring, but when you can see religion for what it really is (man-made, a coping mechanism for death, a way of imposing a set of beliefs on the masses, etc..) it's incredibly difficult to put yourself into a false way of thinking.