1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you forgive homophobes if they are elderly?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GingerGuy, Aug 30, 2013.

1. MerBear

I'm not talking to you like a two year old, im trying to talk to you in a respectful and tolerable way instead of being rude and calling you names.

2. BooksJeansTea

In response to the OP:

It's a case by case basis for me for the most part. If the person is no longer in their right mind then I will let it go. Normally I challenge hateful things politely simply by stating my own opinion or even in a joking way meant to not embarrass the person because if someone feels attacked they aren't likely to accept anything I have to say. I believe that we cannot expect things to get better by allowing them to stay the same. We have to change something (okay. A lot of things.) to improve our situation.

3. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can we all lay off of MerBear, and actually respond to OP? We're all allowed to have our own opinions. She answered the question honestly, no need to get on her back about it. I'm trying to read opinions on the question, and your guys's argument is getting in my way :grin:

4. AAASAS

No

I was always cold towards my grandparents because they are racist and homophobic.

I don't care if it is family or comes from years of brainwashing.

People should knwo what's wrong is wrong.

Old people that are homophobic are usually racist piles of shit.

5. robotman

Nope... they are just ignorant, age is not an excuse.

6. Waffles

I'm actually gonna say yes, in most cases. They were raised in different times and circumstances. Its not like they chose to have those ideals instilled in them. .3.

7. Emberblaze

It actually makes me even angrier. I know the society they grew up in, but that's like an old person using derogatory words towards me because I'm black.

They have to adapt to the world we live in now or keep their ideals to their selves.

8. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I could be a bit more tolerating of it, but not able to forgive them

9. Aussir

Let me put it this way:

My parents: In their late 60's and early 70's, homophobes, wished me dead.
    My in-laws: same ages, love me to bits (too much even... give me space, people!)

No, I don't forgive it in the elderly since clearly, some evolve and some stay stuck in the past. I can tolerate it at best.

10. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Age has little to do with forgiveness. If they have been presented with a rational argument on why homosexuality is a natural thing that has no long term harm (apart from religious judgements), and they still keep with their ways, then I don't see the point in forgiving them.

11. rjrh20

I don't because they can change. Just because you grew up in a time when it wasn't accepted or aloud doesn't mean you have to stay that way. so no.

12. GayNerd

No. If they are Homophobic, I won't forgive them.

13. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I AGREE WITH MERBEAR LET HER BE.

The only time i get annoyed at homophobes is when they start believing that because they are straight they are better than gays, or start vocally denouncing gays.

14. Saint Otaku

I believe all were ignorant once, and deserve lenience. However, those who willfully remain ignorant are truly despicable people.

15. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can understand to a certain point why a person who is old has those viewpoints and will not change viewpoints. I can somewhat forgive those who are elderly and have been brainwashed to a point where no viewpoint can change their minds. We have to look and realize that their brains have been brainwashed with fifty years of lies and bullshit that filled their head.

My grandpa who is 79 watches fox news all day and gets propaganda in the mail every day except sunday teaching how homosexuality is wrong and that all homosexuals will go to hell. His mind is filled with this hatred and there is nothing anyone can do to change that. He is aware of my orientation but probably will not ever acknowledge it. Yeah it can be kind of awkward but it is better than a mad raging grandpa yelling at me to repent of my sin.

The truth of the matter is as the old generation dies off society will become more accepting of gay people even in more conservative religious areas people will start to become more accepting and understand of gay people. Is there ways to reason with that generation. Yeah there can but like my grandpa they have a one track mind that keeps going and going and no other perspective can enter their mind.

16. Mysz

:thumbsup:

17. jaysuss

I don't like old people even if they weren't homophobic. They are always in someoens way and always complaining about the stupidest things like the pool temperature is too cold when the pool is meant for swim team. They are too stubborn

18. Data

Data Guest

I wouldn't throw a fit, because when I get angry it's quite a violent scene. 60 is the cutoff. If a middle aged 50 year old guy said something rude I'd go off on him/her. Past that, I'd bite a chunk out of my lip and quietly tell them that they're a rude fuck and walk away.

They are NOT forgiven for it, but I wouldn't punish an old person the same way I would a younger person.

19. Minx

No.

An old fool is still a fool.

20. Safekeeping

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll forgive em all.