I'm very embarrassed about Pride

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Jun 29, 2013.

1. sguyc

Agreed. I want more crossdressers in pride and less guys in booty shorts (no ones impressed)

2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've read the different opinions shown here. In the end, it's supposed to celebrate PEOPLE, and not body parts.

3. theirises

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm confused on this website..someone help me..I need a friend. I'm pretty young still in highschool, and I'm insanely with my best friend (girl). There was something in a magazine about a 12 years old boy tht is mtof and my mom said he was cute, but she would be disappointed to be the parent of te boy. She didnt say why, but I'm pretty sure she's a homophob. That just scares me even more. Will she hate me if I tell her? And about my sexuality, I think I'm bisexual. Mostly lesbian, but I'm afraid to call my self that I guess. Only my closest friends and coach know. What should I do about my mom?

4. Femmeme

Y'all realize that the media only focuses on the most outrageous bits of pride, right? If there isn't bare skin, leather or sex toys involved it doesn't make the news.

5. AlamoCity

My dad found gay stuff on my computer history when I was around 12ish and I blamed it on a computer virus. I've never told him I'm gay, though he might suspect. I told my mom last year. I just sat down with her and said "I don't like girls, I like guys." We cried over it together. I've never uttered the words "I'm gay" to her, but I'm sure she gets the picture.

6. starfish

Hi there and welcome. I'd suggest starting a new thread, likely over in the Friends and Family support section. So any response would get lost in this conversation

7. Hexagon

I don't feel like assimilating. Why should we have to change ourselves, when we hurt no one, in order to assimilate into a certain idea of 'normal'? Whats wrong with our bodies for crying out loud?

So what? They think we're different? Until cishets stop thinking that being a certain way or doing a certain thing is wrong just because, then I'm happy being different. I like being part of a community that accepts difference.

8. AlamoCity

I never thought of all of the blatant (hetero)sexual programming that pervades the airwaves through songs, movies, commercials, TV programs, etc. Perhaps, because of years of watching this, we are all desensitized to this and only notice it when "different" forms of sexuality appear in the mass media.

9. starfish

Yep I just came here to post that. We spend 364 days a year with heterosexual sexuality blasted at us. It is nice to have one day a year where we can flaut ours.

Really in a lot of the opposition I hear about pride, I can't help but think here is some internalized homophobia going on.

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  11. Hefiel

Link doesn't work, but here's the article: Gay-Pride Parade Sets Mainstream Acceptance Of Gays Back 50 Years | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

It didn't take long for me to start laughing. This part alone was enough:
    Thanks for the article, was fun to read. :wink:

12. Romaine

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    We're in the same boat dude :lol:

13. AmityRanch

I've always found pride parades to be rather obnoxious, so I tend to distance myself from people that attend them.

#53 AmityRanch, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  14. flymetothemoon

I enjoy going to the Pride Parade, but I do also appreciate having other Pride events that show that we really are normal people. Unfortunately, those activities and the more "normal" floats and parts of the parade rarely get the media coverage. For instance, at the pride parade in NYC, groups such as schools, churches, ACLU, etc. march. But what gets covered is the naked men, the topless women, the cross dressing clowns, etc. They also hold a Family Pride event with movies and popcorn and such. Does that get coverage? Nope.

As far as letting people know we are normal people, I do that every day. Any time someone asks about my husband, I let them know it's my wife. I don't hide that I, the person they know as a regular person, am a part of the LGBT community. I don't think that my attending a Pride Parade takes away from that normalcy.

15. pokerface87

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My thoughts are, if there were a "straight" parade, it would be just as obnoxious.
    If someone is not smart enough to realize that a small handful of gay people do not represent all gay people, then they are a lost cause and not worth worrying over.

That being said, I have been and they are not like all the ones that the media portrays.

16. BiPenguin

As a nudist, I never cared much for clothing.

17. AKTodd

Totally agreed on all points. And I do pretty much the same in my day-to-day life. I routinely talk about my partner at work and everyone on my local team has met him.

Todd

18. Data

Data Guest

I'm really excited to go to my city's pride parade in October. I want to experience it first hand. I figure it'll be tame.

I'll get a "gay" shirt and just morph into the crowd. I SERIOUSLY will be pissed if some stranger comes up and dry humps me. I hope it won't be that crazy.

My aunt expresses feelings of resentment towards pride parades. Her words were "I don't think a bunch of guys running around in pink boas and rainbow dresses is a good image for the gay community." I just said that if the people want to do that, they want to do that. Boa guy is gay, and I'm gay. There you have two DIAMETRICALLY OPPOSED samples of the gay community. She saw my point (to be who you are) but I didn't want to argue it with her. I wasn't in the right mood.

I won't make a judgement to condemn or praise pride events until I've been there and done that.

19. NEWFrontiers22

I agree, and pride is about more than just the shitless men, although that part is nice, there's whole a lot more too it than that. It's a time and place where we come together and be ourselves and more importantly, celebrate how far we have come in are struggles as GLBT individuals, sort of like a national holiday! Viva La Being Yourself!(!)

[YOUTUBE]Los Angeles Gay Pride Parade 2013 - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]

20. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I often find that gay pride tends to promote gay sterotypes but I guess if thats what people want to do it's a free country.