1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Debate on God

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Devious Kitty, May 10, 2013.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Long story short, I used to be a UMC Christian. Now, I consider myself to be an atheist. The long version is in the spoiler tags.
    I used to be a United Methodist Christian. I really loved religion. I would go to church every week excited to learn more about God and the Bible. I did many things at my church as well. I ran the multi-media center and I played handbells. I would also play my trombone sometimes during the services. I loved talking to all of the members of the Church and helping them out in any way that I could.

I was the youth group president. I convinced many of my friends to start attending the church and the youth group. The youth group leader was my second cousin.

Well, one day, one of my friends brought one of their friends. This person was openly gay. Well, the youth group director did not like this... at all. He started to go off on him, telling him that he was "going to hell" and that "god hated him". My friend's friend ran out crying. I didn't know what to do.. I had never seen anything like that before. I had never seen a bit of anger out of my youth director until that day.

A little over a year later, another one of my friends posted a project on facebook about gay marriage. She needed reactions from her friends... and she got reactions... here is the argument that followed.

It was this argument that caused me to question both my sexuality and my religious identity. My "perfect world" came crashing down. I realized that I was not straight. I realized that I didn't want to be a part of the church anymore.

Well, I began to leave the church. I also began to come out. I came out to my youth leader. He was not ok with it... but he said that he would never turn his back on me. He outed me to the rest of church, and now most of them act like they don't even know me anymore. Honestly, I'm ok with that.

I experienced a lot of harm from religion. When I first left it, I hated religion. I now have passed over that. I hold nothing against religion now. I understand that there are accepting churches. Religion is just not for me anymore. I did a ton of research and I came to the conclusion that I no longer could believe in the Bible or in God. When I first realized that I couldn't believe in God anymore.. I thought that my life was over. I was in a really bad spot. It was like being stuck in darkness. It didn't matter how much I tried, I just couldn't believe in God anymore. Since I accepted myself as being both gay and an atheist, I have been able to move on from all of the chaos that went on for a while. I felt free.

It seems crazy looking back now and thinking that I used to want to be preacher....

2. Naren

I do not believe there is a God, because of all that is happening in the world. If there was a God and we were his greatest creation and he cared enough to send his son to die for us etc etc the things that are going on now would not be happening.
    [​IMG]

3. Devious Kitty

In my view, it would be an hour well spent. I've probably listened to it at least 5 or 6 times by now. Of course, I'm a big fan of Steve, so that wouldn't be surprising. xD

You have essentially ignored everything I said and gone back to the "what are the chances?!1!1!" question. You are only making an argument from ignorance here. Its fallacious. You want to know the stats? Find a method to be able to accurately calculate the chance of that happening (or a more relevant question, just the chance that any equivalently strange coincidence will happen throughout our life sometime) and I will tell you. I'd say the law of truly large numbers accounts for this stuff pretty well.

I don't mean to be rude but you don't seem to understand how memory works. I posted a video that has some relevant material. Whether you really care enough about this stuff to see it is up to you. If you were interested you could always do some decent research in neuroscience as well. Still, it was clear from the beginning that no matter what I or anyone says you aren't going to actually consider any alternatives ideas and are just going to be closed minded. (After all, you said so yourself.)

Then quite frankly I don't understand why you are still here arguing this. There's really no reason to be here "debating" this if you are just going to say "This is what I believe, I'm not changing my mind and don't care what anyone else thinks." The point of debates is to discuss, exchange and consider different ideas. If you can't do these things then you aren't really debating.

At this point I have to say I'm not sure that you are even reading my posts, much less watching any videos. I've already posted the things that question your presumptions and assertions here. Unless you have some sort of counter argument rather than repeating the same thing over and over, I don't have any reason to respond. Look at my posts, actually try to counter or discuss the points I have made, and come back to me when you figure out the reasons why I would disagree with this paragraph (hint, I've already stated them in previous posts.) I really hate to be so blunt and kind of rude about it but this just isn't at all productive. To me it is more akin to trolling than anything. I'm not saying you are trying to troll, but continually repeating the same stuff and ignoring points rather than addressing them is pretty close to it. Try to consider my perspective here; this is nothing but frustrating.

#43 Devious Kitty, May 11, 2013
    Last edited: May 11, 2013
  4. GhostOfRazgriz

How I feel about the entire God thing is this: I don't claim to know whether God exists or not. However, I personally hope that God doesn't exist. I'm not atheist, I just hope God isn't out there.
    My reasoning, I've been through a rough time lately. There's too much insanity in this world. I was a little crazy myself. But if a God were to allow such madness to exist, wouldn't that make him just as crazy as I was, if not more? That's why I hope he doesn't exist.

#44 GhostOfRazgriz, May 11, 2013
  5. BlueBear

After my father died when I was fourteen I have had the voice similar to what you described, more of a feeling that I could hear. It went away in therapy as I didn't need it anymore. My therapist said when you aren’t wound very tight you have access to things people are not. Most of the time the voice let me know when it was safe to do something and not always necessarily legal. The one time I didn’t listen I got my one arrest and a misdemeanor.
    Other times I was just privy to information such as taking my college trig final when I forgot how to determine the Triangles lengths using the angles and other information given. Three questions with four possible decimal multiply choice answers and the little voice was right on all three. I felt this was given to learn to trust the voice I suspect was my father’s after death. In life he purposely acted crazy to scare people away especially me and my brother but I also could feel his presence as he could with me. Not just see him but feel in my head just like the way people feel someone is gay that doesn’t have any outward clues.
    I gave up the voice along with the person I used be and until this thread forgot even having it.

6. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People know the difference between right and wrong. The basic doctrine of most religions are of love, good will, and peace. They were also written long ago in different times by people that believe differently than we do today so yes a lot of the things in religious texts are outdated, but people today are smart enough to know the difference between right and wrong. There's even the fail-safe of a conscience, which admittedly is not present in all people, but for the most part people know when they're doing something wrong. If you steal something or you kill someone you know it was wrong. You can't tell me that a religious belief is responsible for a persons actions because that person knows that what they did was wrong. They may use their religion or strong misinterpretation of it as a means to an end so they don't feel bad, but everyone can tell when they've done something bad. Also, people are often misled by people that they trust and they trust these people because they believe the same things that they do and therefore are much more easily swayed. You are using very extreme cases as examples. Religions were made by people and therefore corrupted by people. Usually a handful of people who wanted to force their ways on others and make selfish gains. It isn't the religion that is bad it's the people who made it to be bad. As for people who believe in something that can cure them of illness or disease, they believe it because it gives them hope that everything will be ok and a reason to keep fighting. Even if in the end they lose it was worth the fight. Mind you I don't agree with people capitalizing on their hope I think it's probably one of the most immoral things on the planet, but it does give them something to hold on for. I've been on the brink of suicide before and I can honestly say that if it wasn't for the God that I believe in I wouldn't be here right now.

Also you really need to be careful with you're wording. I'm not trying to be rude but when you say things like "Believing in false things is just bad", though I understand what you're saying, it could very well end up with someone attacking you because it does sound like you're saying that everyone's religious standpoint is "wrong." There's no right or wrong answer here it's what people believe so please be careful because no one wants to have their feelings hurt and beliefs belittled and we don't want anyone to attack you because they've misunderstood what you said.

#46 PurpleRain, May 11, 2013
  7. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a Theist because I have reason to believe there is no proof a deity DOESN'T exist. :slight_smile:

8. vyvance

I'm atheist because I see no evidence to support a deity. That aside, even if you could prove the existence of one, I wouldn't worship a deity that lets all the shit of the world happen.

Burden of proof lies with the person making the positive claim, which would be the Theist.

#48 vyvance, May 11, 2013
  9. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really haven't said what I believe yet so I guess I'll give a rundown. I spent a really long time in ignorance to religion and believed it caused wars and "If there was a God why would he let me be so miserable and let the world be awful" all that kind of stuff, so I was really an atheist/agnostic, but then I had several teachers that taught the abrahamic religions and eastern religions and it really made me question what was bad about it. I'll post this transition from not believing to believing in a spoiler tag

Obviously I was still little when the whole War on Terror started and all this hatred and violence was occurred because of religion and it was just a back and forth hate battle between Christians and Muslims and as I grew up and went through school it only got worse as you learn about all the terrible things that people have done because of what they believe. My mom never took me to church much, but the times that I did go it scared me because when I went all I heard about was how I was going to hell unless I did x,y, and z. All this stuff sort of compounded together to make me really just not believe in a God that would allow the world to be so terrible and then send us all to hell because we didn't do all the things it says in the Bible so I just stopped believing and I didn't believe for a really long time.

When I got to High School though I had a Geography class with a teacher that I still love and respect to this day because he was so informative. He did a lot of religious studies and philosophy in college and as we learned about different areas we learned about the religions and their beginnings and how these religions were spread throughout the world and what places typically have a higher concentration of a certain religion, you know stuff like that. It was just such an informative class and I learned so much about the world's religions and philosophies that I started to question everything more. I stopped looking at it through an ignorant lens and really learn things. So I started looking for a religion that was right for me. I went through everything just to try to figure out what felt right and... nothing did, but there were aspects from many of the religions that I liked and believed in and eventually I cam up with this:

I believe there certainly is some higher-power in this world that helps and guides us when we need it the most and a lot of times does things for us indirectly. I believe that we do have a soul that is released when we die and it can travel across all the plains of existence, through time and space and all realities and latches on to a new body or can exist however we choose to in plane of creation. It's really zen to me and brings me a lot of comfort to think of things that way. It also explains a lot of every religion to me about how everything can connect and become one.

I know I'm probably totally insane, but I enjoy it. :grin:

10. eatsleepclimb

I believe in God because it is reassuring to know someone is always there, watching over you, and religion gives you a purpose to live your life as the best person you can.

Unfortunately, some people believe that being the best person you can means following random rules in the Bible like the one about homosexuality. But the real teachings are actually really inspiring.

11. Ridiculous

How do you decide which ones are the real teachings?

12. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, but I was making a point. There is no tangible evidence for or against the existence of a deity, therefore this debate will inevitably reach an impasse.

13. Ridiculous

You could say the same thing about unicorns and fairies and magic.
    There comes a point where you have to say "to continue believing this would be very difficult to reconcile with other things I know about the world."

14. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've had reasons to believe in a deity of which I find unnecessary to post as they are very personal life experiences, therefore if I have beyond a reasonable doubt and I have more events in life that point to Theism, I will naturally be drawn towards it more than Atheism. Just like if you have more reason to believe a deity doesn't exist, you will be more drawn to Atheism.

15. Devious Kitty

The problem is that there is a very large variety of views of what is "right and wrong." It's not something set in stone. So my previous statement still stands: "Why do we try to blame the people for holding these beliefs rather than the beliefs themselves? People hold them because they think they are true and moral. I think trying to blame people for being wrong is just cruel."

This is debatable. I think I'd need some statistics for this.

This is just far too simplistic of a view. Again, you are starting by assuming that everyone has essentially the same views on morals. This falls apart simply because they don't.

Take for example evangelizing. A lot of the more liberal Christians may see this as proselytizing and immoral. However for others, this would be the most moral thing they can do. They generally believe that people who don't have faith in Jesus are going to hell. Thus to just stand by and let them go to such a dark and torturous place would be about the most horrendous and cruel thing someone can do. Its like just standing by watching as someone gets raped (but much worse and for eternity.) From their mind and their beliefs they are moral. In fact to not go out and evangelize would be very immoral. Sure there are some out there in society that oppose this, but what would be the more moral thing to do? Ignore that people are going to be tortured simply because others don't like that you preach about it?

As should be clear, the things we believe very much effect what we hold to be moral. You can try to dismiss it as "oh they are just misinterpreting this" but that if anything acknowledges my point. They may certainly be misinterpreting things (in fact, I'd say 99% of Christians do) but they do still believe these things and these beliefs effect what they think is moral and thus their actions. Presumably even Hitler felt that he was in the right. Calling it a misinterpretation misses the point and is only an attempt at whitewashing that there is a problem.

Calling them extreme doesn't make them go away and a lot of people around the world believe these sorts of things. As people always feel the need to remind me it is the con-artists, scammers and "corrupt" in religions that are the issue here, but what do you think enables them to become such? Its people's willingness to credulously believe them. And guess what promotes credulity, the vast majority of religions in the world. You show me a list of religions or denominations who promote skepticism over something like "you just have to have faith," which is a blatantly credulous. I can assure you it will be a very short list, especially compared to the other one. The simple fact is, you can't get rid of the "corrupt" people out there (although I'd say a lot of them actually believe the nonsense they put out there.) You have to educate people and promote skeptical thinking. Religions not only don't do this but very much promote the opposite. And it is for this reason that when the Catholic Church says something something stupid like "condoms don't help to prevent AIDs, we should be teaching abstinence" an extraordinarily large amount of people buy into it. And not only do they buy it, they go out and spread their message to the places in Africa where HIV is widespread.

Its not about hope. There isn't anything wrong with hope. Its about believing that false medicines will work, and often believing that modern real medicines don't. This is the sort of propaganda many alternative med gurus promote, and that people will sadly end up believing. And it's stuff like this that leads to many completely unnecessary deaths, neglect and other issues. Read back over part of the quote I gave earlier:

I lost my faith during a major depression. There are many other things in the world to have hope in. You don't need to believe something that's not true to have hope or keep going.

You can't really say much of anything that someone somewhere won't feel hurt or offended about. While its not what I was saying in that sentence, I do in fact think that religious standpoints are false. I am not at all a post-modernist. I don't believe that there are "multiple truths for different people" or anything. Either its true or it isn't. If me having a different opinion from someone offends them, then that is their own personal issue. If they can't handle that someone might actually think they are wrong about something, then this thread probably isn't for them.

16. JessRae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    THIS! :thumbsup:

17. Devious Kitty

I disagree, as then the topic becomes whether you are justified in believing without evidence.

---------- Post added 12th May 2013 at 10:18 AM ----------

Something being reassuring isn't a good reason to think its real. It might for example be reassuring to believe that people in the world aren't really starving or aren't blind, but that doesn't mean I should believe it. Its simply not true.

And as someone else asked, by what means do you tell the difference between the real teachings and fake ones?

18. kem

kem

I'm an agnostic atheist. I am very certain that God in the traditional sense, as a moral entity watching over mankind, doesn't exist.
    But I do believe that with our current knowledge, what happened before our universe came to be i.e. what created it, is transcendental and thus we can't rule out a creator creating it, unlikely as it may be. I would rather believe in a multiverse but I'd like to think of that as a question of preference.

19. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have already explained my reasoning behind this quote to someone else. Also if you have no evidence AGAINST a deity, you are doing the same thing.

20. Devious Kitty

Yet I feel that I can adequately justify my position. I don't think any theist can.