1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Invisible lesbian syndrome

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jinkx, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Thieves

Thieves Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    Same here! I just don't know what to say to guys when they try flirting with me, it's almost embarrassing. :lol: It just feels... weird. Like they're trying to get something out of me, almost? And so I try avoiding a lot of their questions? I don't know... :confused:

2. Jinkx

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's pretty much EXACTLY what I was trying to say! That really is how it feels to me too! I completely understand! It's hard to explain but I do completely get it :slight_smile:

3. ohhsnapple

ohhsnapple Guest

lesbians are like unicorns

/end

4. Jinkx

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    care to elaborate?

5. Unsuregirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes please what do you mean? I'm kinda really new at this, and honestly only have known like 3 my entire life, well that told me anyways. So please what do you mean, and besides myself. LOL

6. ohhsnapple

ohhsnapple Guest

oh you've never heard that lesbians are unicorns?

that they don't exist lol it has to do with invisibility

but now it's ruined since I had to explain it ;(

7. Thieves

Thieves Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm glad somene else understands! It often makes me feel like a freak because I see all of these girls who seem to talk and flirt with men so easily, while I'm just standing there the whole time thinking, "What the hell? How do they DO that? :eusa_doh:" I suppose that's just how I am, though occasionally I'll come across a guy who thinks I don't like him at all (even as a friend) because I don't always respond in a positive way to his advances. I would like to tell guys like him that I'm not so interested in men at the moment, but because of a not so good past experience, I'm not too keen on doing that again soon...

:la: <-- And wow, this is rather random, but I didn't know that this smiley even existed on here until now, haha.

---------- Post added 24th Dec 2012 at 01:04 AM ----------

Oh, and I totally got the 'unicorn' thing. Surprisingly. :lol:

8. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    LMAO! Oh my word. That's awesome.

9. RainbowBright

You feel this way because they ARE trying to get something out of you. Or into you...
    Sorry, but that's true nearly 100% of the time with hetero/bi guys, even for guy friends, and even if they can manage to be civil about it. If they didn't find you attractive, they generally wouldn't talk to you. Even if they know you're a lesbian, that just makes them more into you, not less.

10. Jinkx

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dammit! Sorry haha I should of got that lol However where I am I've found that bisexuals are more rumoured to not exist. People seem to find bisexuality really hard to understand :S

Most of my friends are guys so I find it easy to just talk away (I'm the same with anyone to be honest lol.) A problem I have is that I'm naturally flirty without actually realizing I'm doing it. I think I'm just being nice but other people take it the wrong way which can be bloody awkward. Saturday night had a couple of fine examples of how guys make me feel awkward and pressured. Two guys (at separate times) both who I'd known for years, chatting away with me. Seemed to feel that having their arm around me throughout the entire conversation was necessary... That makes me very uncomfortable. The one of them gets jealous of the other pulls me away and wants to make out with me to try and mark his territory which I am not... Eugh! Then the second guy mentioned's mate comes over and starts babbling all these drunken compliments and feels having both arms around me throughout the entire conversation is needed... AND THEN when I leave the club and am stood outside texting my housemate to meet her at the takeaway down the road two guys tell me I'm hot. I thank them without making eye contact and continue to text. Then they ask me which one of them I find attractive. I tell them neither and that I don't swing that way. Then one of them insists walking me to the takeaway then proceeds to have a conversation with me when I made it quite clear I wasn't interested. Also my housemate is gay and was out with her ex gf so I made it clear to him he wasn't getting lucky with either of them either. Still wouldn't leave. We ignored him till he went away. Stuff like that just drives me crazy! Sorry that turned into such a rant haha

Definitely awesome! haha

11. ohhsnapple

ohhsnapple Guest

Oh you guys made me nervous for a while there, I felt like an obnoxious asshole with my joke that fell flat. The last thing I need is an ANGRY lesbian mob after me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Which is why maybe I shouldn't impose myself on others conversations. But it's my habit, my fatal flaw ;(

12. IkeaMonkey

'sal good man. Jokes and sarcasm sometimes fall flat on the internet, which sucks cause that's all I am.

(&&&):thewave: These are the only mob like smilies, neither that frightening. You're good. Although seeing the wave come after me might be a bit terrifying.

13. Jinkx

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Monkeys right. That's the problem with the internet no tone of voice lol

Lmao hmmm Angry lesbian mob maybe not so great. A standard lesbian mob... hmmmmm... I could deal with that haha:icon_wink

14. ohhsnapple

ohhsnapple Guest

ah the internet has a way of transforming my ~delightful~ and ~colorful~ personality and twisting it into a dry butthole. Sometimes I reread (yes, I know how to read) what I word vomit and go, merde I look like a total douche. But I swear I'm not!

Ya, I highlighted the ANGRY on purpose. But alas nothing chases me except 40 year old latino immigrants haha

15. aeva

I DO agree that even in a friendship situation, most straight guys hang out with chicks they find attractive (regardless of the girl's orientation). My friends are always snuggling with me, commenting on my physical appearance, or bemoaning the fact that I'm gay (which is fine when it's sporadic, but not so much when it's a drunken confession of love). I know that's not the ONLY reason they hang out with me, but I'm sure it factors in somewhere.

I'm like you though jinx, I'm usually pretty feminine on the outside (long hair, make-up, curvy, girly clothing that's rarely anything other than black), although I do love cargo shorts, work boots and guy's sweatshirts. In terms of interests and personality, I'm more masculine. I much prefer working with power tools, playing violent video games, and getting messy. I did do ballet for 12 years though...

16. Jinkx

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah my sarcasm gets lost online or in text lol
    Usually it's random guys in clubs I have to deal with. Yeah most of my hobbies are quite masculine and dance wise I love street dancing wish I had the money to take lessons lol

17. afterthefact

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Funny thing, bi guys seem to be even more flirtatious when you are less feminine and alternative. It does get complicated when they are your friends.

18. The Queen Bee

Dudette, you're totally my idol.
    You saw everything building up from 0... not only that, but people like you who came out helped bringing visibility. :slight_smile:

Little by little things to be getting better.
    I personally think that my country is 10-15 years behind developed countries... or should I say progressive areas from developed countries. I mean... We just got our first Pride three years ago. But its awesome how some places are moving forward with LGBT rights. It sets an example to countries like mine that are further behind.

lol Never liked ballet. I wanted Karate... :grin:
    Though Gymnastics sounds like fun. XD I think part of the problem that I had with ballet was the fact that my opinion was not taken into account...
    I like watching it, though. I think people who get to that level of perfection (in ANY sport for that matter) is just ah-mazing...

19. Thieves

Thieves Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    Jinkx, that's funny, and a little scary about the two men who still stubbornly hit on you outside the club. The example you gave about the other two guys made me roll my eyes, because it reminded me of something else that happened where I work. It's that type of assumed possessiveness that's a turn-off, and sometimes makes me weary of talking to some men my age. I know women can be equally possessive, but it's just the way that some men are blatant and obvious about it so early on that can be aggravating. Especially after you've made your intentions (or lack of them) clear. It can be disrespectful and kind of sad, because the guys can be otherwise cool people... Plus, it's good to have both female and male friends, but it makes finding real male ones who don't try to pressure you in some way harder to find. At least for me. Maybe it really is unavoidable, though. (And don't worry about your ranting, it's more than welcome :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ...)

:lol: :lol:

---------- Post added 25th Dec 2012 at 04:10 AM ----------

Ugh. I hate to say it, but, I know you're right. I wish it weren't true, and I don't like thinking about it, but...

#79 Thieves, Dec 25, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  20. Jinkx

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yup. It's sad. Luckily though I do have male friends who in no way find me attractive and class me as one of the lads :slight_smile: Those are the people I give my time to :slight_smile:

I can understand that. Is very awkward when a close friend gets like that :\

Yeah. I get it all the time it just brings the night down a little bit and aggravates me. Oh I hate it! The way that men do it comes across as more threatening I feel. I hate possessiveness in general. It's always worse when it's someone you don't know though. So awkward!

It may have been more funny telling the two guys I wasn't into either of them if I was straight though. Somehow I feel that'd be more insulting haha