1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Movies

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by TheDude, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Sue Baloo

I watched this with my daughter and we loved it. Watch it and help spread the word! :grin:
    G.B.F. (Gay Best Friend) is a 2013 American teen comedy film directed by Darren Stein and produced by School Pictures, Parting Shots Media, and Logolite Entertainment. The film made its first official screening at the 2013 Tribeca Film Festival in April 2013 and got its theatrical release on January 17, 2014 by Vertical Entertainment. G.B.F. focuses on closeted gay high school students Tanner and Brent. When Tanner is outed, he is picked up by the cool girls and he begins to surpass still-closeted Brent in popularity.

The film stars Michael J. Willett, Paul Iacono, Sasha Pieterse, Andrea Bowen, Xosha Roquemore, Molly Tarlov, Evanna Lynch, Joanna "JoJo" Levesque, and Megan Mullally. G.B.F's soundtrack includes new compositions by "Hi Fashion" & "Veva".
    [YOUTUBE]krEdqwLLASw[/YOUTUBE]

#521 Sue Baloo, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  2. mallix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    These are some of the LGBT movies that I really enjoyed watching:

Imagine Me and You
    Kiss Me
    Four Faced Liar
    Circumstances

3. wildestdreams

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Films that I have liked that I have watched over the last year are:

• Getting Go: The Go Doc Project
      Weekend
      Scenes From A Gay Marriage
      G.B.F.

This film is great, it is so cheesy but with a completely unique style of story...

4. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This movie looks soooo good!

Closet Monster

[Youtube]ZSzxvKyM608[/youtube]

5. rudysteiner

I don't know how many times it has been mentioned, but I would like to champion 'Weekend', directed and written by Andrew Heigh. It is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. LGBTQ+ or not. I loved it. I love the fact that the two central protagonists being of the same gender doesn't matter, but at the same time is integral to the plot of the movie, if that makes sense.

'Normalised', more casual LGBT movies are my favourite kind, and the fact that it was filmed in Britain makes it so much better for me. Every other gay film I've watched apart from La vie d'Adele ha been American, and this being in England makes it more real for me. I enjoyed every bit of it.

Weekend (2011) - IMDb

Tom Cullen (Russell) is very easy on the eye, too.

#525 rudysteiner, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  6. Rainbow Girl

I finally saw Imagine Me and You and I loved it!

7. jonjon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Looks like I'm the first, but I just saw Gerontophilia. I liked it. It was sweet.

8. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  9. mangotree

If it's showing outside Australia, go and see Holding the Man.

[YOUTUBE]2YdJUorviNA[/YOUTUBE]

10. Acuba403

Prayers for Bobbie

It's the only one that I've seen
    (WARNING!!!! IT WILL MAKE YOU CRY!!!!)

11. Mickey 29

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Realized I haven't seen many of the more popular ones (Brokeback, Milk, etc..).

-Tangerine
    -The Rules of Attraction(It was nice to see both a non-stereotypically acting main gay character, who was also not perfect at all..like the rest of the characters in the film)
    -KaBoom
    -Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
    (I liked the relationship with Kieran Culkin's character and Michael Cera's. No lame gay jokes, no sexual tension, they were totally comfortable with each other, even slept in same bed sometimes)
    -Cruel Intentions (mostly because Ryan Phillippe was my first celebrity crush)
    -Mysterious Skin
    -Home at the End of the World(See this if you haven't!)
    -Wet Hot American Summer (Not sure if this counts)
    -Mullholland Dr.
    -Gods & Monsters
    -Go

-The Dreamers

#531 Mickey 29, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  12. Riyuzaki

Riyuzaki Guest

I have probably seen more, but the ones that come to mind first are 'Prayers for Bobby' and 'Tomboy' (a french movie)

13. Mickey 29

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just saw these two:

-Date & Switch

-Cuatro Lunas (4 Moons)

I liked them both a lot

14. crazydiamond

But I'm a Cheerleader
    Boys Don't Cry
    Tipping The Velvet
    Better Than Chocolate
    Bound
    Rent
    Blue is the Warmest Color

Still haven't seen Milk or Brokeback Mountain. I need to get on that.

15. crazydog15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Out in the Dark, my all-time favorite

Weekend was really good, too

16. akarn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    OH MY GOSH I AM ALL OVER THIS ONE. I'm a filmmaker, so that's why lol!
    Alright, unpopular opinion here, but I actually wasn't that huge on Brokeback Mountain. *gasp* Yes, it's true. Maybe it was that I just don't dig those ol' country movies. They don't interest me. Why I thought the love story between Ennis and Jack was adorbs, the whole movie in general was very boring.
    Okay, just thought I'd get that out of the way.
    MY TOP FOUR LGBT MOVIES OF ALL TIME IN ORDER ---
    1) Boys (Jongens in Dutch) - SUCH A CUTE MOVIE. Since I'm the boys' age, it makes me want a relationship like they have so badly. Yes, it's one of those movies.
    2) Shelter - ALSO SUCH A CUTE MOVIE. First off, I love surfing, so there's that. Then there's the fact that he wants to go to CalArts, which is my dream school. But the whole love story in this movie is just amazing. I love that he accepts himself for who he is and doesn't care what people have to say about it.
    3) Bridegroom - OH MY GOSH I CRY EVERY SINGLE TIME I WATCH THIS MOVIE. So, so, so sad!! But it's such a good movie, and really puts into focus the fight gay people have gone through for centuries, but was finally made a law this year! Hooray!! Anyways, this is a must-watch. Like, now.
    4) Free Fall (Freier Fall in German) - I can't say it's a cute movie, because it's guys older than 16 LOL, but it's such an amazing movie in every way possible. Lighting, cinematography, plotline - everything. I love how they really reveal the internal struggle of what most gay people go through - accepting themselves.

17. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    1. The kids are alright
    2. Sound of Music [maybe]
    3. Blue is the warmest colour

18. AceBiologist

Since movies with intentionally asexual characters are still nonexistent (aside from maybe old Sherlock Holmes movies that just don't actively straight-wash him), here a couple suggestions that at least allow an asexual interpretation easily:

I recently saw the 1967 movie "Bonnie and Clyde" and was surprised to see how well it works as a depiction of a respectful romantic relationship between an asexual man and an allosexual woman, and the tensions that come with their different physical needs. Wikipedia tells me that Clyde is supposed to be "impotent", but they never say that in the movie (besides, the term "asexual" wasn't really popular knowledge in the 1960s, so this might very well be like calling an asexual woman "frigid"), and him being asexual really works a lot better as an explanation for his behavior, in my opinion. (They do sucessfully have sex offscreen once at the end of the movie, which begs the question how physical impotence can just spontaneously resolve itself after years of suffering - but if you go in with the assumption that he's just asexual, not ill, then it reads like he just wanted to reward Bonnie for writing him a poem (and for being so good about not pressuring him for the first few months/years of their relationship after their disastrous first attempt that sent him fleeing to the bathroom), and he's just relieved he did well afterward. And they spend the next night chastely sharing a bed again fully dressed, while talking about marriage, so the implication isn't that he's radically changed by having sex once.) The story doesn't end well, of course, since they are criminals and real historical ones at that, but the romance is depicted very positively and healthy. The film does not mention the real Clyde's history of being sexually abused as a teenager; in fact it acts like he's never killed a person before that comes up in the plot. (The real Clyde killed the guy who abused him while he was in juvenile prison.) And while they are criminals, it's made very clear that Clyde is not a sociopath. So there are no unfortunate stereotypes regarding asexuality - quite the contrary: aside from not performing in bed and being ashamed about it, Clyde is very romantic and has a lot of verve and swagger, not like the usual emotionally detached / cerebral / aspie depiction of the rare non-psychopathic asexual character in popular media.

Similarily, I think the character of Dean from the gay romantic comedy "Big Eden" makes a lot more sense if you assume he's unknowingly biromantic asexual, not a middle-aged straight guy who likes his gay childhood friend so very much that he tries to become bisexual to be with him, but then ends up crying alone in his car when he can't bring himself to bear the sexual intimacy after all. I mean, it would also explain why on Earth his ex-wife would divorce such a kind and good-natured man. And he and the (equally divorced) female character he ends up with never share so much as a kiss onscreen, as far as I remember. (She finds him having that nervous breakdown in the car, and next we see them, they're in a relationship and seem set to raise their collective children together. So I like to head-canon that they had an offscreen conversation where she explained to him what asexuality is, and that he doesn't have to force himself to act sexually just because he wants a romantic relationship, because happily, she's on the spectrum as well. That way, everyone gets a happy ending in this movie.)

In the gay historical romance movie "Maurice", the titular character's first boyfriend is also all "we should stick to platonic love, it's so much more pure". But that was probably just meant to show his repression / internalised homophobia.

19. AceBiologist

Then maybe the tragic-comedy "Blow Dry" is for you. In that story, a young man tries to reconcile his father (Alan Rickman) with his mother and their former female assistant / hair model, who have run away together 10 years earlier - though not so far as to leave the same small English town. The plot isn't really about LGTB issues, but about getting the old team / family back together to win a hair styling competition, before the mother dies of cancer. It's all very quirky and heart-warming.

Here's a relevant scene:
    [YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVcdUbNOs_I[/YOUTUBE]

#539 AceBiologist, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  20. Rainbow Girl

In the past couple months I've watched The Incredibly True Adventure of Two Girl in Love and Desert Hearts. I also saw Freeheld in the theatre a couple weeks ago.