1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can we talk about weed?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Love4Ever, Nov 17, 2018.

?

What are your thoughts on weed?

1. I smoke weed and think it should be legal

24 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. I don't smoke weed but it should be legal because I don't care if others do

28 vote(s)
    47.5%
  3. I don't smoke weed and don't agree with legalizing it

7 vote(s)
    11.9%
  1. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just wanna point out I’m not trying to promote the use of Cannabis I’m just trying to clear up some myths.

2. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry! What I should have more clearly stated is it isn't addicting if used in moderation. And despite the risk of addiction, it is legal whereas weed is not. We would need to ban alcohol if we are going to ban things primarily based on their addictive nature.

3. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As far as I know, though, alcohol does not have things injected in it like nicotine cigarettes do that are known to be hazardous.

4. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like Totesgaybrah said, there's nothing that actually causes an addiction in weed, people continue using it just because they like using it, unlike other drugs where they keep using it because they physically have to and will get violently sick if they don't. Potheads can easily stop smoking for as long as they want whenever they want (and they do this yearly for tolerance-reset purposes when it doesn't effect them as much as it should anymore until they take a break).

Yes you can laugh and eat without it, but it's not the same at all and it's something people can't understand without experiencing it. For one thing, food tastes immensely better while high, even a crappy plate of ultimate nachos will taste like the best ones you've ever had and ice cream is like a whole new food. The laughing is a different kind of laughter too - there's a huge difference between laughing normally because something is funny, and high-laughing because you feel like everything around you is the most hilarious experience ever to happen and brings you endless joy for hours.

5. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alcohol has tons of bad stuff in it. Breweries get shut down all the time for using literal poison and toxic materials in their products. It wasn't long ago a brewery in Europe got shut down for purposely using Asbestos as an ingredient. Alcohol bottles don't have labels saying what's in them like all other food does, so shadiness happens often.

6. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I didn't know that. Thank you. I don't drink much at all so my knowledge of alcohol comes from my family members who do enjoy it more than I do.

7. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually alcohol is still quite addictive even in moderation.
    Also everyone handles alcohol differently, some people can drink casually for decades and never have a problem or be addicted and others can be addicted after the first few drinks.

8. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Listening to music is amazing too!

9. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    (Refined) sugar is definitely a drug.

10. Silveroot

Silveroot Guest

I see. I'm an artist at heart as well.

There are many ways to be calm and reach alternative states of consciousness. I hope you find the best one for you.

11. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm okay for it for medical use, and still on the fence about recreational use. Mainly because my job is federally regulated and testing positive for it would be insta loose my job and my license suspended for a while. Which means I have to skip out on things were others might be using it.

12. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you. I do meditate and have found that extremely relaxing and nice. I am a big fan of yoga actually.

13. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The idea that weed is not addictive is absolute bullshit. The DSM now sees addiction as different than tolerance; addiction is principally psychological in nature, and is a byproduct of the brain's attempt to adapt to humans putting shit in their body that, in general, isn't good for it. Weed, especially in refined forms, is highly addictive.

Weed of our parents generation wasn't highly addictive because the level of THC (the principal hallucinogenic ingredient) was pretty low, 3-6%. Now, depending on the strain of weed you use, and the route of administration (oral, smoked, etc), the level of THC can be as high as 70-80%. The action of THC on the body is very similar the action of other addictive drugs; it stimulates dopamine, which is intimately involved in the reward mechanism in the brain, and is principally what causes the addictive draw of pretty much every drug. In addition to this, THC also stimulates anandamide receptors, which stimulate in a different way. Particularly with the more potent varieties, weed can be highly addictive, and primary marijuana addiction is one of the biggest diagnoses for new admission to treatment for drug abuse. This is a major change from 10 years ago.

Additionally, method of administration impacts risk of addiction to some extent; drugs smoked are near-immediately absorbed in the brain, while drugs consumed have to first be absorbed in the stomach, which makes for a more gradual, and thus typically less addictive use. However, it is much harder to control dosage (because of the lag time) with weed that is consumed.

For someone who is seeking the medicinal benefits of weed, one can purchase CBD (which provides those benefits) or strains of weed that are high in CBD and contain almost no THC. So the argument that one has to get high in order to get the medicinal benefit pretty much goes out the window.

The idea that somehow smoking cigarettes is bad for you but weed is not is also absolute bullshit. Though cigarettes do have additives to them (formaldehyde, various other chemicals), the natural presence of tar and various other materials damaging to lung tissue is very much an issue with weed. Add to that the fact that weed is generally more deeply inhaled and held longer and you're doing serious damage to lung tissue by smoking it. Further, there are numerous carcinogens present in weed that become active when smoked that are not present in tobacco.

The issue of addiction is complex and is a deep biopsychosocial interaction. The arguments toward legalizing all drugs, if we are using references to other countries that have done so, would not be reliable here because our culture, family bonding issues, incidence of early childhood bonding failures and stresses, and so many other factors are wildly different. This isn't to discount the libertarian argument, but only to say that it would almost certainly be a major disaster. If we are going to solve the addiction problem in this country, it is going to require a lot of effort that happens before the child is born, with extensive parent education and a means of dealing with the poverty, stress, violence, poor parent/child bonding, and other factors that young children are exposed to. Suffice it to say that, in our current socioeconomic situation, it would be an unmitigated disaster to legalize all drugs.

14. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not challenging you at all, more so interested. Do you have articles for that info? Whenever I try doing research on it everything seems extremely biased one way or the opposite way.

15. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're totally correct about the problem of bias in the field. A lot of the current "research" is funded by the pro-marijuana lobby, so of course, it finds that there's no problems and weed is the cure for everything. Unsurprisingly, these studies are, pretty much without exception, methodologically horrid, and the conclusions are entirely cooked up to support agenda.

One of the best current textbooks in the field that gives a pretty good overview that's evenhanded is "Uppers, Downers, All-Arounders". You can get it from interlibrary loan via most libraries. There are also some excellent studies looking at how THC impacts the dopamine reward system (easily found through a literature search... let me know if you need specifics) that demonstrate pretty much beyond any reasonable doubt why THC is an addictive risk.

As with any addictive substance, one has to also understand the underlying biopsychosocial mechanism behind addiction in order to put into context the addictive nature of weed, alcohol, opiates, or most any other drug that stimulates the dopamine reward system. But to call weed non-addictive is pretty much completely incorrect, and to talk about psychological addiction as though it is somehow less of a concern than the development of physical tolerance is to completely miss current thinking on the cause and treatment of substance use disorders.

16. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree with a lot of your points, Chip.

17. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do agree with what chip said for the most part. When I first started doing it, I was using it like 4 times a week. When I tried to quit or cut down, I became very anxious. Although I did manage to quit once for 4 months. Now I use it like once or twice a week.

18. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I will agree there are negative effects as with everything else. And I will agree on some level that it is addictive, however I do believe that the addiction trait falls to the person. I think some people are more prone to have addictive personalities than others. I am an occasional user and I function just fine, I also do not crave it when I'm not smoking or don't have it. Sometimes I'll use twice a week and other times I'll use 10+ times a week, sometimes alone, sometimes socially. I find it to be good for relaxation and as a stress reliever, and considering the fact that I do not drink alcohol I find it no worse than drinking alcohol. I'm also very responsible when I use cannabis I never drive or go out publicly while under the influence. I have been using cannabis for quite awhile now and I can happily say I have never be injured from or during the use of cannabis, and I have also never made any life altering decisions while under the influence, as I can not say for the times when I use to drink alcohol. I really don't see the issue of it on a legal level as long as everyone follows the laws and uses responsibly.

19. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In moderation, I think it is fine. It is legal in my state and I smoke it occasionally, usually with friends. The only downsides I can see is that if used too much it can cause disorientation, impulsiveness, and memory issues. But in moderate doses it just gives you a nice high and can even spur creativity. I cannot stand the taste of the smoke though, so I tend to vape it instead.

20. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is pretty much it. Some people are more prone to addiction as a byproduct of the way their brains were 'wired' early in childhood. Some people have a genetic predisposition for certain types of addiction (notably alcohol.) And some people are less prone to that risk than others.

The addiction risk with smoked weed is probably somewhat similar to alcohol. With highly refined marijuana derivatives (tinctures, dabs, etc) with high THC content, and depending on the method of administration, the risks would be closer to the risks of opiates or amphetamines due to the concentration and the impact on the dopamine system.