1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trump is going to be the next President of the United States

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by A Republican, Nov 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dreamcatcher

I'm glad that at least he's helping South Korea. At least he's starting to act more "presidential." However, I do hope he does the complete opposite of everything he said he was going to do so that the people who voted for him can finally learn a lesson.

2. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    We really need to find ways to get people to vote!
    I think part of the problem is the way that some states handle voting makes it a hassle for people to be able to vote.

3. aussielefty

its funny though in Australia it is compulsory to vote , and I think you can get fined or something if you dont , a lot of people tho do invalid votes.
    not sure if that would work in the US, also some times change can be scary. .

4. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Which is?

5. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess it depends on what you mean by that. During the debates, there were a few things Clinton and Trump actually agreed on.

6. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think that the U.S has certain policies that actually (I believe somewhat intentionally) make it hard for everyone to vote. I think that a combination of making voting accessible to all and fining people who do not vote is what the U.S needs to do.

7. AlexTheGrey

Yup. The irony is that elections like this have historically favored Republicans if turnout is low. So it doesn't surprise me that voter ID laws and similar moves are aimed at suppressing the vote, under the guise of fixing fraud to build support for them.

That said, in off-years, local elections seem to suggest Democrats also get benefits from low turnout. So it's a bit hard to point the fingers strictly at the Republicans, both parties are looking at ways to create a competitive advantage by skewing turnout one way or another. Republicans using voter ID laws and polling place policies to suppress votes in major election years, Democrats using things like avoiding consolidated ballots to get people to just not care enough to vote in off years.

My state is one that has moved to mail-in voting, you get a ballot in the mail, can send it back early, or drop it off somewhere, whatever works. It's more convenient and accessible as a result, but it doesn't actually improve turnout. Part of it is that yes, you can't just make it more accessible, you also need to create a motivated electorate if you want high turnout.

I suspect that if you could get more people to turn out, you might see third parties making more inroads during years like this.

8. AlexTheGrey

I think this is a completely healthy outlook. Because the best thing we can do right now is temper our fear with optimism, and vigilance. Fight back if and when Congress (or Trump) introduces Anti-LGBT bills. Make sure your voice is heard if they try to move against the community. But don't let it stop you from living your life, or making your community better.

9. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, this is not something to be happy about, "A Republican", and here are a few reasons why (and to others who are happy):
    1) He is a climate change denier and plans on "ripping up" the Paris climate agreement.
    2) His VP supports conversion therapy and thinks the world is only 6000 years old.
    3) He has a bad attitude and will piss off foreign leaders.
    4) He is NOT anti-PC and anti-SJW like his supporters say. He sued Bill Maher over a joke about him and he sued the Onion over a satire article about him. That's about as PC as you can get.
    5) He wants to eliminate the FDA.
    6) He wants to torture "even if it doesn't work" and take out the innocent family members of terrorists.
    7) He has actively avoided all questions on how he is going to deport illegal immigrants.

I'd bring up the court cases he's about to be in, but innocent until proven guilty. This list is good enough.

---------- Post added 11th Nov 2016 at 01:10 PM ----------

No, the majority did not vote for Trump- Clinton had more votes. Trump only won because of the electoral college.

10. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    [/COLOR]
    No, the majority did not vote for Trump- Clinton had more votes. Trump only won because of the electoral college.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's one thing that's bothering me. Celebrate all you want, your guy one, good job. But please don't say "the people" chose trump. SOME people did.
    The popular majority, and some of those who aren't old enough to vote (like me) certainly did not choose trump.

11. Simple Thoughts

I can't help, but think about Trump's victory and remember all those times during the primary that all the Bernie people warned the Democrats that this was gonna happen and that they were running the only person on the planet who could have lost to Trump.

Maybe they should have listened and not ran a corrupt neoliberal with war hawkish tendencies and a sense of entitlement about the white house. Hopefully they learn and run Elizabeth Warren or someone like her next time, I doubt Bernie would run again.

12. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I've heard they're considering Kaine. If Trump even has an average term I see him beating Kaine. DNC doesn't learn.

13. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Although I'm sure that there is some individual nutcase republican out there that has expounded this nonsense, I've not seen any credible reports of Trump or the Republicans in general having a plan like this. There isn't any state in the country that forces conversion therapy on children. The real problem is the many states that don't prohibit it if the parents choose to inflict therapy on their children. This didn't just start with Trump, it's been a potential issue for decades.

There isn't a specific federal law one way or the other that I'm aware of. (I'm not a lawyer) We have a Supreme court that decides if laws passed by Congress or exec. presidential orders are legal or not. Trump is only going to be nominating a conservative to replace a conservative at this time, so the court isn't going to radically change just yet.

Even a conservative justice might be against mandatory conversion therapy on a federal level. The term "conservative" for a supreme court justice is different than a conservative politician, it just means a strict reading of the constitution. For example, one of the justices that upheld the affordable care act was personally against it, but his reading of the constitution allowed it, therefore he sided with the majority. Another judge was personally against guns, but sided with the majority in a decision allowing gun ownership in some circumstances.

14. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not sure if the famous Jonathan Pie video has been posted here yet, but here is a quote from it that I believe summarizes many of the issues with the Left and why so many people were drawn to Trump:

"The left is responsible for this result [the election of Trump] because the left have now decided that any other opinion, any other way of looking at the world is unacceptable. We don’t debate anymore because the left won the cultural wars. So if you’re on the right, you’re a freak. You’re evil. You’re racist. You are stupid. You are a basket of deplorables. How do you think people are going to vote if you talk to them like that? When has anyone ever been persuaded by being insulted or labeled?"

15. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Those are good points. Maybe the left should have rioted when their party got away with running Bernie off the rails in favor of a corrupt politician. Maybe the left should make actual arguments again, and debate ideas rather than having their platform fueled by SJW's. Maybe the left should actually go talk to people other than rich white city dwellers.

16. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pretty certain Donald Trump is going to be the GOP equivalent to Jimmy Carter in terms of the results of their presidencies. The biggest similarity is that they both will be one-term presidents.

Unfortunately some politicians policies seem good during the campaign, but then when they get into office and actually enact them, then people see their consequences and want out.

For example, people love to rail against the cheap plastic Chinese crap you get at Wal Mart or Kmart or Target, but wait until Donald Trump slaps that tariff on Chinese-made goods that he kept talking about. That may sound good now, but how are you going to feel when you walk into that store and that same Chinese piece of crap is now twice the price?

His protectionist policies will crash the economy and his social policies are a page out of Nazi Germany. Yeah I understand Godwin's Law, but when you look at the fact that they're preparing to create a public registry that every Muslim in America will have to register with-the same way that we register sex offenders-this is a more technologically-advanced version of how Adolf Hitler publicly labeled Jewish people.

In the 2018 midterm elections and when he's up for re-election in 2020, those working-class folks who bought the populist bullshit are going to look at how bad things have gotten and they're going to demand a refund. He's filled his cabinet with white supremacists, Islamophobes, anti-Semites, warhawk extremists, and other bigots like Rudy Giuliani.

What amazes me about the whole thing is that in today's society we have the extreme PC police on the left, and we have the extreme PC police on the right. The right-wing PC police have made it so that you can't call someone who says racist things a racist.

17. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If it's a piece of crap, why would you buy it at any price? Explain how that makes sense.

You prefer crap products to high quality made products? If you actually go back and look at the U.S. economy 40-50 years ago the U.S. had the largest middle class in history, almost everyone had jobs, and the U.S. made the best products and made them affordable. Would you rather stuff be made here and you and everyone you know have jobs, or would you rather buy cheap overpriced crap from China?

18. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some people can't afford the high quality stuff :/ Besides our unemployment rate is at a record low right now, there are other things we need to worry about besides jobs at the moment thanks to Obama

19. Iloveyoubabe

Iloveyoubabe Guest

I'm in the minority here, but I would honestly prefer to have Trump in office over Hillary Clinton. I would have anyone over Hillary. Hillary saying she would bomb Iran if she was president, wikileaks, Benghazi, lying and fabricating stories that weren't true. Be thankful. Hillary would have gotten us into another war. She may be a Democrat, but that doesn't mean anything. She is corrupt to the core. I'm for Trump.

20. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Unemployment is much bigger than is being reported. The reason why you don't hear about it is because they don't count people who have given up looking for work as unemployed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.