Have people reacted negatively to your musical tastes before?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Krilky, Jan 12, 2014.

?

Have you ever been ridiculed for your music?

1. Yes

87 vote(s)
    82.1%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    17.9%
  1. Darren18

Darren18 Guest

my sister many times, like saying oh that heavy metal music eww, and usually i responded her to go listen to the bull.... she listened to LOl

2. itsonlyrelative

I like a lot of different types of music. People are often surprised when listening to my iPod by the diversity in music I listen to, but one of my guilty pleasures happens to be country music and a lot of people criticize me for that.

3. Darren18

Darren18 Guest

[​IMG]

eh? how is sheryl not good looking O.O

4. anonomous

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i just love country. johnny cash is just so amazing. stuff like that. oh and i really really love the beegees, and the beatles. old music basicly. i have been nicknamed and stuff before cus apparently "i only like old guy singers" and stuff like that.
    any johnny cash fans here???
    oh and i like any drum music, i love the drums. start a beat and its all i can concentrate on. (i keep drumsticks in my pencil case just incase the teacher leaves the room you know. the desk is a great drum)

5. sugarcubeigloo

Yes. I was always so embarrassed by what I listened to, that I never told anyone what I liked.

Then came a few years ago when I started to come out, I suddenly realized that, "I don't give a ____!"

When people like the same embarrassing music as you, its always a pleasant surprise. :slight_smile:

6. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    I like folk music

7. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not especially, only a slightly odd look when I told people about one or two artists I like. Other than that, I'm very secretive with my music and I don't share it.

8. Darren18

Darren18 Guest

I heard a couple of songs, my fav from cash is cocaine blues

9. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yup. I listen to oldies and a few "underground" bands.

10. freeskies

Musically, I am attracted to lot of female singers. I like taylor swift songs/lyrics, and i bring her up in any conversation that has to do with music, and friends ridicule me for liking girly "taylor swift" songs! But the truth is i dont like too girly songs, taylor swift's lyrical singer-songwriter skill is attractive. I also dislike masculine rap/R&B songs. Otherwise i listen to soft/ folk rock. I am a big fan of coldplay!

11. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It seems a lot of people have this "anything but country" attitude, which I think is narrow and says more about the connotations of country and it's origins in the American South.

12. CandyCutes

Out Status:
    A few people
    Ahh, lots! Especially from my sis when she borrows my MP3. She'll be like, "Ew, that's a hideous song." Some of my friends think my music is weird too, but who cares? It's my music! xC

13. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  14. freeskies

I think these days its difficult to categorize tunes/songs into earlier genres. The fine line between genres is thinning. And its exciting to see how tunes/pop/songs evolve....

15. Oddish

Oddish Guest

this, and when someone mentions being a fan of Radiohead.

I can definitely be pretentious when it comes to music, but my tastes are so varied I doubt I'd meet many who enjoy all of the same music that I do. Besides, don't really care.

16. staychill

staychill Guest

I like a lot of different kinds of music, and some of my friends think that some stuff I listen to is weird. I listen to a lot of Rock music like The Academy Is, The Fratellis, Arctic Monkeys and other stuff that most teenage guys enjoy, but I also enjoy listening to stuff like Roy Orbison, Donovan, The Pet Sounds era Brian Wilson, and other stuff from the 60s.

17. AlamoCity

Yes, for many, listening to country music seems to a good way to lose IQ points. Also, some people think country music is unsophisticated and a product of the backwater South. I still don't know exactly why I love this genre so much, but perhaps having my parents always playing this on the radio growing up didn't hurt either.

Just like how many people will scorn at rap because of its ties to poor, inner-city black youth (or its misogynistic nature against women and violence). I personally simply dislike the cadence and style of rap/hip-hop (though I do find the conspicuous consumption of Veblen goods in the songs particularly funny for some reason). "Versace, Versace, Versace, Versace, Versace, Versace, Hannah Montana, Hannah Montana, Hannah Montana, Hannah Montana, Hannah Montana. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

18. Johneh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I listen to metal so I get the "that's just screaming garbage" alot.

I don't care if anyone else likes it or not. Been listening to it for ten years so not going to stop now.

19. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Metal is so damn diverse, I don't see how anyone could group every subgenre or artist under the same umbrella, and at times, have a harder time finding similarities between various bands since they've branched out so much since the beginnings.

Blind Guardian sounds nothing like Cannibal Corpse, which sounds nothing like Black Sabbath, for example. At this point, I think I can listen primarily to metal, since there's so much to explore, and if one style or artist gets stale, I'll simply switch to something else, since my preferences are largely mood-influenced.

So yeah, a lot of other music genres I've experimented with were found via metal: dark ambient, blues, psychedelic rock, hardcore punk, classical, industrial, just to name a few. Personally, I can't stand screaming, but to each their own. :wink:

#59 gravechild, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  20. Mzansi

I listen to a blend of music styles,
    Some are well liked,
    And others?
    Not so much,
    But I don't give people the chance to be dicks about my music taste haha!