1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do you want kids?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rooni321, Jan 22, 2012.

?

do you want kids?

1. Yes

142 vote(s)
    47.3%
  2. No

64 vote(s)
    21.3%
  3. I don't know/Maybe so..

89 vote(s)
    29.7%
  4. Already got 'em!

5 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. Mimerio

I would love to have children! Although I admit I have some growing up to do myself first. But if my friends wanted to surrogate for me and my future boyfriend / husband, it'd put me over the Moon.

2. theWorldisYours

I think I want one kid, later down the road. Do you think a gay male couple should adopt a boy? Personally I think a girl would be a little more challenging since I can't entirely relate.

3. thevedman

I really want to be a Dad. I could totally see myself going to parents' evenings at the school, helping with homework, going to football games, helping them to learn music and languages (or whatever they wanted to learn). I'd love to watch them grow up and develop their own interests, see if they go to uni and what they might study... I guess ideally I'd like to adopt, I don't really see the need to be a biological parent to someone when there are so many kids that need homes and parents already.

It's one of things that I find the hardest about being gay - the thought that I might not ever get that chance.

4. dreamcatcher

Yeah I find that hard about being gay too. When I thought I was straight and going to marry a guy, I would have said "of course I want kids!" But now, I'm not so sure. I know that I can do in vitro, but the idea of creating a child with some random sperm donor doesn't sound appealing to me. Part of the beauty of having biological kids, is seeing the traits that they get from you and your partner. I like it when I hear people say "oh you've got your mother's chin and your dad's eyes". But as a lesbian, I'll never hear that. That's why if I get over my inhibitions about having children, I would probably adopt. At least that way some child in the world will get a chance.

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure. I have my moments where I think "Yeah, kids seem nice" and others where "Nah, I'm not fit to be a parent".

6. ilovedogs9

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I do want children. But for various reasons, I do not think I will be having any biological ones. I want to adopt though, because there are so many kids out there that need adopting. I also do not want to go through the toddler and young child stages, and those are the kids that I usually hear about getting adopted anyway. I think the older kids need some love, too.

7. caughtbywitness

Eww, babies. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Maybe...

8. maverick

No, I don't want them at all. For lots of reasons. Most of which are explained in the blog linked below in one post or another. It's not my blog, but I do relate to it a lot, though I think some of the perspectives put forth in the "childfree" arena are kind of militant...I don't care if other people have kids, I just don't want them.

Childfreedom

Childfreedom: The Top 100 Reasons Not to Have Kids (and Remain Childfree)

#68 maverick, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  9. Hexagon

Maybe... I think I would be a good dad. One more kid in the world who's not homophobic is a good thing IMO. But I'll have to see. Anyway, long time yet.

10. Rooni321

I DO want kids, a lot.
    Just not right now. I kind of want to live a little before having kids. Maybe when I'm in my 30s. And idk if I want to be the one to give birth but I do want my egg thing to be used :slight_smile:

11. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tend to go back and forth on this, but what it's come down to at this point is:

1) Having children isn't something I'd want to do by myself, I'd want to have a partner first.

2) It would depend on how my partner felt. Recently I've come around to enjoying the idea of having kids, and I think it would sit well on me. But if I was with someone who was dead set against it, I wouldn't be mourning my lost opportunity either.

12. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I really don't trust myself to raise children "properly." I'm much too afraid that my social awkwardness would rub off negatively - that I'd repeat my parent's problems in poor communication skills, lack of facilitation, and just in general a very apathetic attitude toward everything. Such clearly didn't work for me, lol.

There's always the potential that I could be talked into it by a partner, but that doesn't seem likely at this point.

13. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I do want kids, but I'm not keen on the idea of surrogacy. Once I graduate and I have my master's degree and I've started my career I would love to adopt, whether I'm with someone at that point or not.

14. silkfrog1292

We don't allow same sex couple and/or single parent adoptions here, so unless i immigrate or the Law suddenly changes my hopes are pretty much dashed. But that said, i'm not actually sure, i like children when they're quiet and cute but as soon as they cry i start to hate them. Seems i have little patience with kids :frowning2:

15. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Actually.. no. I appreciate the right for gays and lesbians to have kids if they want to, but I just don't think I want to.

Besides.. gays can't really have kids in Norway anyway, gays are allowed to adopt, but none of the adoption countries adopting to Norway allow gays to adopt :frowning2: So it's like.. gays can adopt in theory, but not really after all. And surrogacy is illegal in Norway. While lesbians can get free IVF, so it's much easier for them.

Sorry for my rant, I guess my answer in short is no. At least not for now... maybe I'll change my mind later, who knows.. I'd like to have a partner before I make that decision though.. being a single mom doesn't seem that fun :S

16. elitechris

i do. i'm thinking adoption more than artificial atm.

17. Lychee

I never thought that I wanted children, but recently I found out that it's quite likely that I'm going to have fertility problems, if I'm not infertile, and now that I don't have that option, I'm quite upset. I might consider adoption, but I'm pretty much morally opposed to IVF.

18. Hazel

Nope. Nope! Nooope!

I never really did. I grew up feeling kind of depressed about my future, silly child that I was, believing that getting married and becoming mommies what just what girls did. I guess adopting one or two once I'm in my thirties if my partner in a stable relationship wants them wouldn't be too bad. I'm just dead-set against conceiving/carrying/birthing, the "mother" role, and listening to crying all night while I'm still quite busy.

19. SiberianHusky

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    im at that age where im old enough for some things and to young for others, but ya i would like to have children some day in the future. :slight_smile:

20. Rob999

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have no idea, but I lean towards no. The suburban lifestyle doesn't appeal to me at all, and I know this sounds really weird, but I don't like the idea of children hindering my career. I know they probably wouldn't, but I could never be a "stay at home dad".

I also worry about the world that my children would grow up in.

So, at this point I don't know, but I know two things; I don't want biological children, ad I don't want children until I'm at least early to mid thirties.