1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you date someone who was HIV+?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Miaplacidus, Jan 11, 2009.

?

Would you date someone HIV+?

1. Yes

74 vote(s)
    60.2%
  2. No

49 vote(s)
    39.8%
  1. Wired106

Ohh that would be difficult for me to date someone with HIV+ because of the risk factor like many others said. After a while i would obviously become extremely attached to the person but i'd be worried about my own life also so I would not want to bring that upon myself. If it was a disease that can't spread through blood or anything then I would consider it

2. xXHolic

yes I would!
    he/she would have been through too much
    If I get the virus, we'll die together!
    but sex is not that important really.. as long as the chemistry is ok, syre =)

3. Beebo

why would you risk yourself that way? I think that, even tho its sad, and kinda mean, I don't think people with HIV should be dating.

think of the burden on their conscience when their partner gets AIDS. O_O...

If I had HIV, I would not risk other's lives to get off. But hey they can date each other.

#63 Beebo, Feb 6, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  4. bartleby

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, I even did. There's no problem to go out with someone hiv+ and there's no problem to have sex with them either!

Remember that condom protects you from AIDS and the good news is that it works! Even if there's currently no cure for AIDS, there's a cure for its contamination so there's no reason you become hiv+

5. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    no thats all no. no one in the world that isnt family is worth my health

6. sexyalex

It depends. If he or she is a very hygienic person and they meet me personality requirments then whats the big fuss.

All I would do is utalize my knowledge of HIV awarness and prevention in order to have a safe and healthy relationship.
    Lucky for me. I have a fiance who we can live off hugs and kisses and not miss a thing. For somepeople its different but I'm just saying.

You know...
    You can have good sex with a HIV infected person without being infected.

7. Joey

tiny tiny University in northern Maryland
    This one is a toughie... I really don't know. I don't think I could deal with the fact knowing that they could get very very ill and die soon. That would be an incredible strain in my mind. I believe that taking the necessary precautions to keep myself safe (I assume he would want the same thing) would make the relationship like most others. It's just the whole mental thing with coming to grips that he is very ill that would effect me most... I dunno.

8. jcharles

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I would be able to do so. A lot of people here talk about not having sex with their partner but there are ways to prevent infection. It just takes a lot of communication. I actually met a couple, one who was negative and the other positive, and they both said communication is a must in every aspect of their lives.

And with proper meds, life expectancy shoots up exponentially.

You guys could really be missing out on a great guy/girl. I just think people really need to be optimistic about this.

9. Maggi

heck yes. its about loving the person not just sex

10. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

I'm a science nut and I've read the countless number of articles on HIV/AIDS and how we have progressed. To make a long story short, people who have HIV/AIDS today have the same life expectancy of a normal person who doesn't have it at all. Sure they will spend more money and time at the doctor for medications and checkups but the outlook is good.

Also more studies are beinging done on the phenomenon of AIDS victims magicaly being cured without warning. They found a certain gene that makes people immune to AIDS. They have cured a man of AIDS with a (rare) bone marrow transplant. Now with ban's lifted from stem-cell reasearch (thank you obama) we can now put a lot of hypothesis involving stem cells and blood diseases to work.

So back to the question, yeah I would date someone with HIV/AIDS.

11. J Schuelke

If it is true love then you would love them in sickness and in health and it wouldn't matter if He or she is HIV +. I think things like this really test the hold of a loving bond between two people.

I think I would do it, I would just be extra safe and make sure that my partner has a meaningful and fulfilling life, no matter how long it may be.

12. ok455

Nope i thought of this before too much of a big risk. Condoms do break and your playing Russian Roulette with your life. I would much rather be single for the rest of my life then risk my life dating someone with a major disease. Sorry if i offended anyone

#72 ok455, Feb 14, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  13. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

The answer is no. I may be a selfish prick for saying so but I couldn't take the chance. It is a deadly disease and my human instincts would kick in telling me I can't take that risk. As much as I may love someone, if they aren't honest about it than the relationship is already ruined. I expect honesty in all relationships.

14. waitingsucks

If I really loved them I would date them. I mean you would for someone you loved wouldn't you? I don't think I'd do anything risky with them though, that'd be stupid.

But like I agree the hardest part would be knowing that they could get really sick at any time.

15. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    i dont think i cud i would certainly b friends wiv them but 2 me physical intamacy is important not because im a sex addict or anyfin but i just fink u hav 2 have realli strong will power not 2 b physical wiv some1 u love or care for. Its a tough choice though

16. -Michael-

I wouldn't break up with someone if it turned out they were...

but i don't think I would begin a relationship with someone that is....

17. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow this whole thread really surprised me and is very much an indication of the stigma HIV has in society. That stigma is so great due it's origins in the homosexual community and its connection to promiscuity. I would have thought that most homosexuals would be more openminded, due to their own experiences of homophobia. The reason this virus is feared so much is due to lack of education. I've posted on other threads about HIV and how it's seen as a life sentence in the population. This is not true and Legnaj is right in saying that many people who contract the virus today will go onto have a normal life expectancies. So would I go out with someone with HIV....most definitely. Why should they be treated any differently, they have the right to a relationship as much as the next person. You can have sex, but just use precautions. It's even possible for HIV positive men to have children of their own.

I went to a lecture by a top Infectious disease Doctor here in the UK, who controversially stated that if given the choice, he would rather be HIV positive than have diabetes. Being HIV positive is a lifelong condition and it has important consequences on any relationships....but it's managable.

18. littledinosaurs

I don't see how being HIV positive is more manageable than having diabetes...

19. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

I guess that would depend on what type of diabetes...Its true diabetes can be terrible skinny or fat...but if you're a larger person and you struggle with it daily...it can be worst than AIDS or HIV I suppose.

20. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry I should have explained better...my brain is a bit frazled today. That last sentence should have been separate from the rest of the paragraph. Both diabetes and HIV are managable conditions. However the lecturer's point was that people look at diabetes and think it's a relatively benign condition because its so common. In reality the complications of diabetes are extremely serious (irrespective if type 1 or 2) and many people do not realise this. Unfortunately diabetics have a reduced life expectancy. Being HIV positive is equally a serious condition and has huge life implications, but carriers should not have the stigma which goes along with it. One person commented above that HIV carriers should not be allowed to be in relationships and that is a very narrow minded opinion. Its a life altering diagnosis but not life ending.