1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

would hrt help alleviate my eating disorder?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Robins Jacket, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Robins Jacket

Hi there, I'm transgender (afab), and I have an eating disorder (EDNOS). It's usually hard to distinguish dysphoria from just generally disliking my body because of my ED, so my question is: would starting HRT make me feel better or worse? I know it would alleviate my dysphoria, but would the testosterone's increasing my muscle mass and TDEE alleviate or worsen my eating disorder?
    Also: I'd just like to note that, even if I didn't have an ED, I'd still want HRT to appear more masculine.

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure, and it sounds like something you should talk to your doctor about.

3. AaronV

I don't think that T could replace specific treatment for your ED and like Daydreamer, I think you should probably talk to a professional about this. This of it this way, T could help someone with depression, but is not an actual antidepressant.

4. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree. There are so many facets to an eating disorder that need to be dealt with ASAP. I would think T may overload your system if you are not strong enough to deal with bodily stress. Just my opinion though. Please do see a doctor.

Sebby45

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would not recommend going on HRT until addressing the eating disorder. In the best of cases, HRT is going to have a major impact on mood, which could easily make the eating disorder worse. Since the eating disorder is a mental health issue, I would strongly recommend working with a therapist to address that, as well as the related underlying issues associated with it, before pursuing HRT.

6. Nimmer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Definitely address the matter with your therapist, because ED-NOS can have many root causes, and they're not necessarily related to one's appearance or the way we perceive our bodies. For instance, because someone is overweight doesn't mean they have an ED, and conversely.

I think finding out why you developed an ED, and working on the cause(s), either before or while starting HRT, would be a healthier approach (even though it's true that EDs are often related to 'control' rather than 'food', and not identifying with your own body clearly doesn't help). Otherwise, HRT may help... or not pllay a part at all... or even make things worse... and it's just impossible to know in advance which it's going to be.