Would/Have you considered suicide if/when you were outed?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SonicBoom, Aug 21, 2015.

?

Would/Have you considered suicide if/when you were outed?

1. YES

12 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. NO

37 vote(s)
    61.7%
  3. DOES NOT APPLY TO ME

4 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. OTHER

7 vote(s)
    11.7%
  1. SonicBoom

We all know the sad and tragic story of Tyler Clementi.

​Remembering Tyler Clementi - CBS News

Have you considered suicide when you were outed?

Would you consider suicide if you were outed?

Please call the suicide hot line if you are or will be suicidal for ANY REASON.

Personally, I got caught having a boyfriend when I was 15 years old and this was how I was outed.

Getting caught with a boyfriend was very very traumatic experience for me but I did not consider suicide because of it.

#1 SonicBoom, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  2. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Absolutely not.

3. MetalRice

I was outed twice in the last week, and I never even considered it once, I have too much to live for and I enjoy life too much to care.

4. HopefulRebecca

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have considered it multiple times, yes. However, I have not the means nor motivation to carry it out, so there's no need to worry.

5. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't consider suicide unless I was very close to dying anyway, so this wouldn't change.

However, if everyone I knew here suddenly learned that I was trans and all, I might think about moving. Actually, I'm already thinking about moving so it wouldn't change much.

The only reason I'm stealth is because I don't want to be bombarded with questions, actually. It's not because I fear the reactions of others. It saddens me to know some people are not so fortunate, though.

6. KaySee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was depressed before I figured out I was "different". I was thinking about it before, during, and after the realization. Outing, don't think so, but who knows?

I had a acquaintance who committed suicide. No one ever knew why. I used to think about that because I might have done the same thing. But probably not because of being outed. Lots of people commit suicide from being or fear of being outed. Even if outed, it does not have to mean that that was the main reason a person committed suicide. People miss that.

#6 KaySee, Aug 21, 2015
  7. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yea i've considered it on occasion, even thought about the execution. for different reasons, i think being gay might have been one of em. now i'm a bit more understanding about life and myself, and somehow motivated to live through.

8. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

This doesn't really apply to me since I struggled with my identity for several years and never outwardly spoke about it with anyone. It was only when I was 100% confident in myself (after researching like crazy, talked with my psychologist and had started making my support network) that I decided to come out to my sister. After that, I only came out exclusively to people I trusted.

9. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In the past, this rang true with me, too. While I could have acquired the means, I realized the motivation wasn't there. :dry:

Today, I don't think I would have that big of an issue if I was outed, thanks to the support of EC and some friends. My only reason for not being out is timing. I need to pick a good time when I'm ready. I don't think there would be much impact except maybe a little social impact.

#9 CodeForLife, Aug 21, 2015
  10. guitar

Some people had strong suspicions but I wasn't formally outed. I'd like to think I had a fairly good head on my shoulders when I started dating guys.

11. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have but I can't imagine me going though with it

12. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm too full of myself to go out by my own hand. It's more likely that my huge-ass ego will compel someone else to kill me.

13. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I thought i was outed shortly after coming out to a friend (or should i say a fiend) who turned out to be a homophobe. But it was just my overactive mind taking control with unrealistic imagination.

people have their suspicion tho but they always unable to prove it.

back to the topic, when i though i was outed i did not consider suicide. However i brainstorm on how to do damage control to my parent because they must never know that i'm gay since my father death threat me 5 years ago.

But when i haven't met my BF i have this suicidal ideation every time someone get a grasp that i might be gay...:icon_sad: but now i dont even care anymore as long as my parent's doesn't know about it

14. CyanChachki

I did, yes. It was a very dark time for me and it definitely altered my life. Sometimes I wonder what my life could've been like if none of it happened.

15. Van

Van

No! I no longer care who knows and who doesn't. I even hope that someone (like my mom, I guess :grin:) outs me to the extended family, so I wouldn't have to do it myself. hahaha
    As for work - I might just have to quit if someone did out me to my co-workers, cuz some of them are homophobic.
    But suicide? Absolutely no. :slight_smile:

16. AJ56

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As long you come out to good, trustworthy friends, then you shouldn't even have to worry about being outed. Just make sure that they know that you aren't comfortable being publicly out yet. They should be able to respect that.

This is what I did and I've been in school for two weeks now and no one has said anything to me about it. I know my friends aren't going to out me, because I trust them.

17. Momosboy

I have, but I would never do it. I couldn't put anyone I love/care about through that.

18. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If I were to take my life, it would be because of my mental illness; compared to that, being bi is easy.

19. Sky82

I have considered it and tried, I have the scars to remind me everyday how weak and strong I am. Would I try it again, hell no, I couldn't put my family through that again.

20. absvrdity

absvrdity Guest

Hell no. Suicide is never worth it. Especially when you have family and friends who care about you.

I'm sure you have heard this line before, but I'm going to say it again: Suicide doesn't get rid of the pain, it gives it to other people.