1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Larry Myster, Nov 22, 2008.

1. RonApple

RonApple Guest

Im 100% addict, i play on the local free servers tho :slight_smile: so there isnt any LK expansion on mine yet, but it's still a crap load of fun. Currently have 70 druid and priest, and had many more before that.

2. musican

Free server?

3. I <3 Guild Wars. I had it like the week the first one came out. I can't wait for GW2 to come out.

4. Apocalypte

Far too many people I know who are currently playing or did play are horribly addicted, hell I was myself.

[youtube]FzONdjlxtHc[/youtube]

This video defines addiction to WoW as playing more than 30 hours a week, with a chronic addiction being defined as playing this amount for over 3 months. People in pretty much any endgame guild routinely play this amount, and significantly more in some cases. The maker of this video played 50 hours a week for over a year, I played 40-50 hours a week for a year and a half with only 5 weeks away from the game in that time to study for exams (which I made straight D's in).

Playing MMOs allows you to hide away from the real world, it numbs the mind to reality - and it'll push away all your real-life friends and ends relationships for so many people.

5. Steam Giant

This is what defines MMO addiction for me. Although playtime is a big factor, and is damaging in that the player has little time for anything else, it's how the addict prioritizes the game before real-world matters that's the kicker. I had made a prior arrangement with a friend to be picked up after work one day, and I had even reminded him a few hours before close. I could hear the game in the background over the phone. I ended up standing in a freezing parking garage for well over an hour waiting for him, and his excuse? "I'm sorry I'm late, I was in a really great group I couldn't pull myself away from." He then proceeded to go on about some fight involving giants for most of the car ride home, until he finally realized that I was burning a hole through the passenger-side window :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

There are many factors, but those relating to the idea that groups cannot be quit from before they're done, that all of the addict's guild mates are their "friends," that raiding night means you're booked for that night, that a certain amount of time per week must be spent in the game - ideas like those are the grip of the addiction, and while the addict doesn't know it, his/her friends are growing more distant, because it's obvious to them how much their friendship means.

Wow, this is quite a tangent, huh? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Sorry to go off rambling like that, but as a former addict myself, a friend of someone who became an addict after I recovered (and has since recovered himself), as well as a friend of a current addict, this topic hits home on a pretty personal level for me.

6. Tim

Tim

That's why I don't consider myself addicted to the game. If one of my friends wants to hang out, I need to go apply for a job, etc, I go. The rest of the time, I just play WoW because there's nothing much else to do. XD

7. sparkyboyM

i just thought, any of you guys have chars on 'the sha'tar' or 'sporreggar' servers? i've got a lvl 58 warrior and 62 death knight on sha'tar, and a 25 pally and about a hundred other lowbies on sporreggar...

8. musican

I stopped playing WoW after my gamecard expired becuase I didnt want to but another card. I would play WoW again if I didnt have to pay for it; I have no job and no money.

9. krazykyle

krazykyle Guest

i quit. 3 months ago

10. Techcompu2

I started playing it a couple weeks ago I almost don't check facebook or myspace anymore.
    -I used to check facebook, myspace, and EC about 7 times a day-

i am only on here because I needed a break from it for a bit.

11. dudethere

hi i love WOTLK i play on server/relem durotan im alliance and named tannert pls add me i want to talk to other WOW players/gay people ty :grin: