1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will homosexual people enter heaven?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by yhonn, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Jazzy33

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I personally don’t believe in hell, or heaven at least in the sense that most Christians believe in heaven (streets of gold, mansions, and crowns). I do believe in God, but again a much different God than fundamentalist Christians. I want to live a moral life and do good things because it’s the right thing to do, not because I’m scared of burning for eternity, or because I want riches or rewards in the afterlife. It has taken me a long time to let go of the things I was taught in Sunday school as a child, and it’s something I’m still working on. I cannot believe in a God that would murder innocent people. I don’t believe the bible is the word of God, I believe it was written by men. The pastor in this sermon explains where the idea of hell originated from much better than I could.

"Who goes to hell or is there actually such a place of eternal punishment? Evangelicals are beginning to put their arms around what Biblical scholars have been saying for the past century. The religious belief in a burning hell began with Zoroastrianism which influenced post-exilic Judaism and then, in turn, early Christians and Muslims. It is not a literal truth but rather an ancient religious image used to balance the scale of justice in the next world that seems so out of balance in this world. Progressive Christians must accept that challenge of extinguishing the literal fires of hell we encounter in this life by fighting against the injustice we see and that we know all too well."

[Youtube]OVAHfZfMbUY[/Youtube]

2. Maryam

im muslim and according to the leader of my mosque, homosexuality is a sin, but at the same exact time we're taught Allah loves everyone... religion makes it so much harder for me to accept myself. but i believe that i believe in Allah and Mohammed and such...so i should go to heaven regardless of who i marry or fall in love with. Love is emphasized so much more in any religion than hate. if you believe in that God youre going to heaven

3. 461 467

A few people are bringing up the topic of sin. On this note, the sane and rational Christians I know tell me that the bible provides no weight or measure to the value of sin. All sin is equal in the eyes of God, and thus, homosexuality is no different to God than telling a white lie, or cursing. It is us who place rank on the value of sin. We like to say that some sins are greater than others, but it really does not work that way.

Who said that Adam and Eve were white? Remember that many depictions of religious figures in historical works of art were created by Europeans, who chose to depict the various figures as white men and women. There are two main reasons for this. First off, many paintings, statues, etc. were created with the assistance of local models. The models were obviously white men and women. Second, a simple aspect of modern sociological understanding is that people tend to like other people that are similar to themselves. This is significant, because religious figures had a greater appeal to Europeans, as Christianity spread throughout Europe, when they were depicted as men and women of the same race/ethnicity.

I have, at times, wondered whether or not the Christian concept of heaven would be any sort of paradise at all. Christians pretty much tell me that almost every aspect of my life is something of Satan, and not of God. Thus, heaven will be a place devoid of everything I love in life. I've heard many arguments for "God's righteous judgment," and in ways, it can be rationalized that hell is where I rightfully belong. Yet, hell is also a place of eternal suffering, so that is not fair at all.

4. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't want to go to heaven it would be like going to never ending church service. That's my idea of hell.

5. Honor

If you are truly saved by God and accepted him into your heart, you will go to heaven...everyone is a sinner everyone...no matter the sin.

6. Rivers

If all gays go to Hell, then it's going to be the biggest party ever!

But in all seriousness, I think that someone who believes in Jesus, but commits terrible crimes (like murder) isn't going to Heaven, and that someone who doesn't believe in Jesus, but lives a good, ethical life is going to Heaven. A crazy, murderous gay probably won't end up in Heaven. A kind, truthful one probably will.

I very much support the Catholic idea of helping others in need, and believe that there's probably a God out there. But I don't think I'm going to Hell just for liking girls.

7. I've heard a lot about the fundamentalist views of heaven and hell and I think I'd rather be sent to their hell than have to put up with them for eternity.

8. yhonn

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sorry about this but your post really bothers me.

9. Ridiculous

This is absolutely disgusting. The fact that we are supposed to believe that we are 'sinners' and somehow inherently bad and evil just because we exist is terrible. Even worse is the idea that after we have been led to believe this, the only way to counter it is to follow a certain religion, or we'll burn in a lake of fire and torture and agony for eternity after we die.

Here's a nice video of Christopher Hitchens explaining much more eloquently than I can how ashamed anyone who promotes the idea of original sin and divine punishment should be.

[YOUTUBE]HA55jGyq2C8[/YOUTUBE]

10. djt820

This.

Hitchslap.

11. BiWidow

This ^^ I was raised Catholic also and I can't imagine that God would punish someone because of who they love and how they choose to express it.

12. Kay

Kay Guest

I don't believe in heaven hell or an afterlife so I guess I would say no.

13. 461 467

I hope that you understand the concept of hell that is taught by fundamentalists. It is not a pleasant thought. There is no worse place to be.

A lot of non-religious people scoff at the absurdity of many religious teachings, and in the spirit of logic and rational thought, this may be an acceptable viewpoint in some cases. However, many people fail to understand what it is like when your family pounds the concept of eternal suffering in hell into your head from the moment you develop the mental capacity to fathom it. Imagine for a moment that early in your childhood, you are taught that those who follow God's/the church's ways go to heaven, and those who do not will suffer eternal torment as punishment. This belief is then be constantly reinforced by everyone you know, and you begin to accept it as truth. Then, you come to believe that it is not possible for you to follow God's/the church's teachings, and thus, you cannot avoid hell. It is a terrifying moment to think that suffering greater than anything you could even imagine will await you when you die, and it will continue without end for eternity. Logic and rational thought does little to help you shake this fear, as it roots itself so deep in your thinking that it is extremely difficult to overcome.

14. IanGallagher

The way I see it - God wired us. He wouldn't make a mistake. We are who we are supposed to be. We love how we're supposed to love. Jesus made his place amongst prostitutes and leapers, which should tell us something. The 10 commandments were about love over war. And the only ones who ever spoke out against love were writers putting their own spin on the story - as seen from how much changes from writer to writer and from new to old testament. So really, it is as it should be and we behave how God intended us to behave. As long as we're lovers and not fighters - I don't see anything wrong with that and neither did God.

15. Daveed0527

Daveed0527 Guest

I didnt even see this page! I actually just started a forum similar to this one. In my beliefs,we are taught that God loves all, but we also are taught that homosexuality is frowned upon. Why segregate God's children for being true to themselves is beyond me. Im glad Im not the only one skeptical of this. Thank you all for your posts.

16. faith22

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    to Original Poster
    "Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers."

I believe the phrase is 'sexually immoral', not 'homosexual' as your priest has said.

17. Naren

As an atheist, I'm not well versed in this, but if there was a god, and you were gay, it would be because the god wanted you that way.

18. castle walls

It depends which translation you're reading but, to my knowledge, most say "sexually immoral" not "homosexual"

19. Hard Candy

Hard Candy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I don't really believe gays will go to hell. Even murderers won't necessarily go to hell. The Bible explained that the only way you'll go to hell is if you reject God. For other sins, you just have to spend time in the purgatory until you're ready to ascend into Heaven.

20. TheUglyBarnacle

[​IMG]

Also, since it's a verse from the Corinthians I wouldn't care much about it. Apostle Paul is thought to be quite the misogynist homophobe. That doesn't mean that the Christian god is, though. Jesus never spoke against homosexuality.

I don't believe in the concept of an afterlife myself, though. That'd probably be my reaction to a heave actually existing:

If Atheists Went to Heaven - YouTube