1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Can't I Get A F***ing Job?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by British Lad, Nov 17, 2010.

1. British Lad

British Lad Guest

I have looked everywhere for a bloody job in my home town and on the web, and I need to money to fund my new look. It like the god of jobs does not want me to get one. I have taken CVs in the city centre. I have looked on-line, I have even been to job centre. And I can't get one for love nor money. And I am getting desperate. I have bicycle for transport so I can't travel very far and no money for public transport. AND I FEEL LIKE I AM ABOUT TO SCREEM.
    (thanks for reading this short rant)

2. Shevanel

Because you're 17. It's not exactly easy anyway.

3. Stuie

The job market is tight in most places after the global financial crisis.
    Have you tried using connections? You should ask your family friends if they can give you a job, even for a couple of days. Experience is even more important in a tight job market and, guessing from the fact you're 17, you probably don't have that much previous work experience.
    Good luck anyway.

4. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Yeah I need to find a new job next year!! goodluck to me lol

5. Vivi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's tough to find a job in this economic climate, but keep looking and you never know what will come up.

In the meantime you could try to find some volunteer work. I know it isn't paid work, which is what you're looking for, but the experience would probably help with finding a job - that's what employers seem to be looking for.

6. Rikudo

You know under normal circumstances I'd understand you but my college for next year guarantees work for me.
    [​IMG]

7. partietraumatic

Finding a job as a young person is very very hard in this market, since you're probably competing with people more qualified, who also can't find a job.

Sadly, unless the economy picks up, I'll probably be one of those people, when i graduate from uni in 18 months!

8. Allecto

Ugh, welcome to my life. I'm so desperate that I'm actually planning on applying at McDonald's. :frowning2:

9. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Ugh, I sympothize with you.

All the old unemployed GM workers in my city took all the jobs that teenagers usually get. There are only like..10 people in my school with jobs. My school has over 1200 students. (I think the exact number is 1217)

Although, I took it a step further, and I already applied at all the jobs where you need to be 18 because I turn 18 soon. :slight_smile:

10. Totoro

I know what you mean, the best thing to do is to look for volunteer jobs. These will help you with your resume so you can fill it with more experience :slight_smile: Most places tend to look at your experiences rather than your education. More things you've got going for yourself, the more you've got yourself sold :slight_smile:
    Although I still have trouble finding jobs, on my end :|

11. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just a thought, but are you following up with the places where you have submitted a resume? Also, before you drop of a resume, ask who is in charge of the hiring, and talk to the person before and after submitting a resume.

12. elitechris

i applied during the summer and NOTHING!
    i'm reapplying to someplaces and hoping might get hired this time...

13. QuietDude

I know how you feel, I've been job hunting since I left school in May and I have had not one interview in all that time.

It's probably due to your age, im only a year older than you so we don't have much experience and the recession does not help.

14. Notreallysure

I feel you Lad. I'm in the same boat as you. Keep on keeping on. You'll get through it.

15. ok455

Yes its very hard finding a job this day and time especially at the age of 17, when i was 17 i had a really hard time finding a job it took me until i was 19 to find my first job. Which was at target and the job market was okay a few years ago i know its hell now. Being 17 and in school there are a lot of strict rules you can't work a certain amount of hours can't work past a certain time i'm guessing jobs don't want that stress also.

If your American check out www.indeed.com for job listings

16. British Lad

British Lad Guest

I am British and in 2nd year of college, and I gone to my i am desperate for a job list.

17. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Knowing so many people can't get jobs, makes me feel lucky, but I'm still going to quit though, even if I probs will struggle to get another job lol.

I know you can't get a job yet, but I think you should do some volunteer work whilst looking for jobs, it will be good for your CV

18. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure I totally sympathize with you my friend. No offense, but the fact you want a job just to fund your new look is kinda silly...just my opinion, I just think you should be trying to get a job to fund school (I dunno if you're planning on University or College, but they're $$$), not a look. Looks come and go, education is forever. (Though sometimes I'm not sure I always agree with that, since half the things I'm learning in university I sometimes feel has no relevance at all to my future)

19. stad90

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I feel ya... I applied to 27 locations TWICE last year in the summer (when I was 17) and none of them yielded anything. I got a job this year, but it's a freaking 22 mile commute (totally worth it though, lol). The job economy today sucks.

20. Johnnieguy

Network, network, network. Email/call everyone you know. Let them know you are looking for work.

Most jobs are filled before they are even posted...So if you can get in the backdoor, that's your best chance.

(This is how I landed my current job).