1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who likes classical music?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Lawrence, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Naters2000

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, I’m jealous! I love the 1812 overture, and I’ve played it twice too. Also, I conduct a chamber band, but that doesn’t compare to a full orchestra!

#21 Naters2000, Jan 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Naters2000.... Did I tell you that I was a band director for 41 years? I don't recall if I did. I also conducted our local orchestra several times. Music was/is basically my life, I loved all types. I taught concert band, jazz ensemble, marching band, pepband for basketball and football games. I also directed several choirs. I still sing in several choral groups, one that does 15th-16th century literature mostly in latin and another that does lighter music. I have also been pretty active in musical theatre. I've lost count but I know that I have done over 200 performances in musicals; Man of La Mancha, The King & I, Camelot, West Side Story, The Music Man and others. Music has been my life and I have loved every second of it. I see in your posts that you are involved in a youth orchestra....keep it up! Music is something that you can do for your whole life. I'm not against sports, but it's difficult to play football when you are 67 years old! But I can still do music! ....David

3. Naters2000

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    64FEDD6E-983E-410C-BE07-C91D4C8CB350.jpeg That’s awesome! I didn’t know you were so musically inclined. Music really is my life too (I’m wearing one of my youth symphony shirts right now lol). I’m not really into sports, music is everything to me. I’m really happy that I’m in the Colorado Springs Youth Symphony, there are a lot of different groups, and I’m in the advanced band.

*I’m the blonde clarinet player (I’m the youngest clarinetist in the group) standing between two girls in front of the alto saxophones

I’m also the concertmaster of my middle school, which is a little confusing because I’m in the band, but it’s still cool!

4. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Nate.... Nice photo! :old_smile: Being a musician myself, I'm obviously prejudiced in our favor. :old_big_grin: Obviously keeping up on all your school work is important, but that clarinet can buy your college education. You've already made some great progress to be where you are at 13! Keep up the good work, apply yourself and it will pay off. Music is also a field that is a lot more LGBTQ accepting which will make your life much easier. :old_cool: hope things are going well for you....have you and Chartmann2 exchanged any posts lately? I worry about him.
    ....David :gay_pride_flag:

#24 quebec, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  5. Naters2000

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you so much!

Unfortunately, I haven’t heard from him lately. I’m going to send him a message to let him know that I’m thinking about him. I’m worrying too.

6. butterfly1

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    A couple of my favorites-
    Aaron Copland- Fan Fare for the Common Man.
    Antonin Dvorak- New World Symphony.
    Johann Strauss- The Blue Danube.

Enjoy going to concerts when ever possible.

7. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I like certain ones to a certain extent. I can't really name the exact ones, though. I also songs that combine classical music with rock music. Elton John does a good job of that.

8. Justinian20

I’m not really much of a fan of classical music, so I’m the odd one out again. One artist that I do enjoy which combines classical sound with electronic is Dvar. It’s about the only classical style music I like just because with the electronic it sounds far more interesting. The same applies to the electronic version of the 9th Symphony as played in the film A Clockwork Orange.

#28 Justinian20, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018