1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When to accept what I am?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Vikki, Apr 4, 2023.

1. Vikki

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I obviously like a woman and I can't help but keep thinking about her.
    I want to bump into her and clarify the situation... Not sure how or when it can happen.

I left my ex male partner of 18 years because of this.
    I don't know what to do now?

My family say move on but it's not that easy... I have known this woman almost 17months. It's not like meeting in a bar.

I cant just move on....

My family has indicated that I should go back to my ex partner. So that would mean this was for nothing?
    I don't know what to do now... I dont know anyone and it's so hard meeting people at my age 37.

Do I just go back to pretending like I'm ok with my previous life?

74andHome likes this.
  2. xfemmelesbian

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey,

Honestly I don’t think you should go back to your ex partner because it clearly isn’t him you want and you will just be unhappy which isn’t fair on you. You have taken a massive step and it would be horrible for you to go backwards now just to make others happy. Is this woman you are interested in LGBTQ+? Even if you can’t have her, you worthy of finding somebody who you will be happy with. Have you looked into LGBTQ+ bars and safe spaces in your area? You will be able to find others in your situation and maybe even meet somebody. Good luck x

#2 xfemmelesbian, Apr 5, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
  3. Vikki

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for your reply.

I don't know 100% if the woman I like is LGBTQ+ as I have never asked her. She probably wouldn't say as she is very guarded due to her job.

Based on knowing her and my impression, I would say yes but who knows?
    She has never shut me down with my emails and she did ask me for coffee... And she did accept my gift. I cross stitched a teddy hugging a heart. Added her name and made into a pillow.
    I dropped it off to her at her works. She had no expression and was very poker faced.
    She accepted this gift... Although it didn't think she could accept gifts due to her role.

I am not a social butterfly. I did join a few apps but they are very intense... After the hi how are you part they disappear..
    On one app, I was asked on a date even though they were in America...got sent a dick pic twice... Asked to be a sugar baby...
    So I gave up.

I can't make friends naturally so I'm worried about meeting anyone else.

74andHome likes this.
  4. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello, Vikki. I hope I can help.

@xfemmelesbian has the right of it: regardless of your attraction to this woman, going back to your partner would be a mistake. The only reason you should ever go back is if you really love the person and want to be with them--what you've said here doesn't seem to indicate a longing, but a sense of obligation, or a fear of change and judgment from family. So unless you want to be with your ex, I would say no to going back.

As for this woman you like... You might need to feel the situation out a bit more. Invitations for coffee and accepting gifts could just as easily indicate a sense of friendship or camaraderie; it's also possible that regarding the gift, she didn't want to hurt your feelings. I don't say this to dissuade you, but rather to provide different perspectives. It's also equally as possible that all of these things are not platonic, that she does share your feelings, and that perhaps she's afraid to say anything. Perhaps it has to do with her job, perhaps it's a little more personal--such as fearing she's reading too deeply into your acts of kindness, and is afraid of rejection herself.

As frightening as it can be to put yourself out there, it might be worth being more direct. Maybe you can confess your feelings via email, or in a handwritten letter that you can drop off? Something that will allow her time to process the information before giving an answer of her own. If you choose to tell her (in any form), make it clear that you have no expectations and that you don't want this to hurt the friendship if the feelings aren't mutual.

Whatever happens, I hope things work out.

74andHome likes this.
  5. 74andHome

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lots of god information above. Wondering what you want to do though? You have to live with the choices you make. No one else does. Perhaps doing more sharing with others here might he helpful. It’s okay to make mistakes along the way. I wish you the best and if I can be of help please let me know.

6. Vikki

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't returned to my ex partner and I dont think I could.
    He is supportive of the situation considering and very understanding. He wants me to be happy and can see how much I like this person.

Unfortunately the woman I like cannot stay in contact due to her job role. I cannot contact her as this would be unprofessional. It would be wrong to pursue as it could possibly affect her job. She is a police officer. She said she would say hi if I bumped into her out and about - unlikely as it's not happened in 18months since I've known her.

I met her in her job role. Maybe I just over thought the situation... and intrigued her. It would explain the coffee met up.
    I didn't think she could accept my gift but she did. Although I didn't say what it was.. so again, maybe she was just curious about what it was.

I have no idea if she actually likes ladies or not.
    I believe she already knows I like her but regardless she cannot keep in touch anyway.

I do hope to bump into her to hopefully clarify a few things. Id rather know outright than second guess myself.

I have joined some apps to find some friends but can't help but think about her. I not ready to date.. but that is what these apps seem to be for.
    I dont know how to make friends... I don't want to give the wrong impression to someone I met on one of these dating apps.
    Any ideas?

74andHome likes this.
  7. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I can totally understand how hard this is for you. Try not to worry too much about everything just take it one step at a time. Rather than an app have you tried looking for a local LGBT meet up? They are not all aimed at young people and I would say are a much better place for finding friend. I know people in the past have had success with looking on Meetup.com I think it’s called for groups local to them. In the meantime try talking to people on EC, I know online friends are not an ideal substitute for real life friends but it’s not a bad back up. Talking through my feelings and hearing about other people’s experiences helped me so much when I was first on EC.

74andHome and Searching2022 like this.
  8. Searching2022

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From what I have seen here on EC, it's pretty hard to put that geni back in the bottle. I was terrified of being gay, but I realized a lot of it - in fact all of it was just social pressure and fear - and making a big change later in life.

74andHome likes this.
  9. Searching2022

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Based on these quotes, and the title of this thread "When to accept what I am?" it sounds to me like you know you're gay but you're in the 'bargaining' stage. "Well I like women but my family wants me to go back to this guy and it's hard to meet people (women?) at my age"- all these are valid worries and are true but that doesn't change who you are - and it sounds like you're just deciding whether to accept it or not?

74andHome likes this.
  10. Vikki

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people

Thanks for your reply.

I cannot go back to my ex partner.

I am still questioning my choice but I know I like woman. I do accept that to myself.
    I can definitely say that men do not appeal to me and it's unlikely to change.

I don't know how to admit it to other people.
    I told my sisters about the person I liked and they were supportive, which I knew they would be. I guess it was easier to talk about her as she was involved in my life due to her job role.

I don't know how comfortable I would be to admit it to other people or my parents.

Another worry is explaining this to other women I could meet... Is there stigma for being 'new' as I have read some negative things.
    I don't have close friends - I haven't told the few I do know as I don't feel comfortable doing so.

I want to meet new people but Im not ready to date anyone. How do I do this without them giving the wrong impression or them not wanting to be friends?

74andHome likes this.
  11. Searching2022

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't have to tell the whole world, you don't have to tell anyone you're not comfortable with until you are ready or you want to. The important thing is self acceptance.

Lots of people come out later in life - you also might find that since you're being the real 'you' that forming relationships and friendships is much easier. You could start with lower key group events or meet ups- where there is no pressure, you're just meeting people.

74andHome and silverhalo like this.
  12. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey @Searching2022 has given some great advice, when I was coming out I found I had to just break everything down into tiny little steps and then decide what if anything I wanted to do as my next step. If I looked at the picture as a whole and all of the things I would need to do/overcome it was so overwhelming I would never have gotten any of it done. It’s great that you have been able to tell your sisters, there is no rush to tell anyone else unless you feel like you want to.

I am sure there will be women who won’t be interested when it comes to dating and you being new but honestly if that is a reason for them to not be interested in you then they probably aren’t the kind of person you want to date anyway. There will be plenty of people it won’t be an issue too so try not to worry about it. I know it might sound a little crazy or silly but when sometimes helps is just to let your mind see the world with your new way of thinking. Say to yourself out loud in the mirror, I am gay or I like women and see how that feels to you. Sit in a cafe and watch people and let yourself look at the women in a new way. Imagine your life living with a women and let yourself enjoy those thoughts, it’s also about becoming more comfortable in your own mind.

74andHome, Searching2022 and Really like this.